E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Lighting Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   If you bought CCFL Angel Eyes from Ebay..... (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=400124)

timmay77 09-08-2006 04:21 AM

If you bought CCFL Angel Eyes from Ebay.....

Where did you mount your inverters? My instructions told me to mount them under my high beam lense. No biggie, but do they get warm? I don't want to melt anything!! Also, I used a 30 amp relay as a turn on device from my ignition switch, which works fine, it just gets really warm, should I go 40 amp, or won't it make a difference?

Thanks

tran330cic 09-08-2006 09:57 AM

Good question; I'm thinking about buying the ebay kit also.

n3985 09-08-2006 10:06 AM

Look at where your low beam is, then above/behind it is the headlight metal "bar", which is rectangluar shaped and open on the bottom, tape the ivnerters there.

timmay77 09-08-2006 11:19 AM

I already have them mounted inside the headlight assembly. I would rather not have to take it back apart and move them if I do not have to. Does anyone no if they get warm? I like where they are at now. If I move them I will have to run 4 thick wires through my headlight. Now there are only (2) 22 or 24 gage wires.

Edison@JleviSW 09-08-2006 11:27 AM

Mount them under the metal reinforcement bar above the headlight.

timmay77 09-08-2006 12:39 PM

Nick, are you telling me that the inverters will get hot?

timmay77 09-09-2006 06:53 AM

bump

Tyler@UniqueDesign 09-09-2006 09:09 AM

They are fine inside the headlight, actually better off inside the headlight.

All the E36 kits have them mounted inside and there are WAY less failures because the headlights are sealed better than open air.

umnitza 09-09-2006 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NONSENSE

All the E36 kits have them mounted inside and there are WAY less failures because the headlights are sealed better than open air.

This is complete nonsense.

The only elemental variable in this is water, if you pour water on these eBay types, you will fry them.

Ours are now potted, so there is no issue with that.

The ballasts will fail because they have had a very bad batch of them. We also ran into a small 100 unit bad batch, but have since resolved it (back in March of this year).

The eBay stuff usually is good for 3 months.

FLVK 09-09-2006 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by umnitza (Post 4845309)

I have had mine for over 2 years with no problems and I am glad I paid $79 for them. I just tuck it behind the headlights. If water ever damaged them...I would worry a hell of a lot more about other things that the CCFLs. I have drove the car in extreme heavy rains and big puddles without any water damages.

umnitza 09-09-2006 11:56 AM

Hey, even Datsun B1200 are still on the road, doesn't mean they don't usually break down.;)

JmeC 09-09-2006 01:30 PM

Ebay Angel Eyes are GARBAGE! I wasted $100 buying two different sets before I stopped the amateur hour gabage and got with the program with PREDATOR CHROMIUMS.

Do yourself a favor and do the same. Yes they are more expensive but with the package they provide you and support offered, it's worth the investment. Actually, they just look 100x better.

Tyler@UniqueDesign 09-09-2006 01:33 PM

Quote:

I've got plenty of racedash kits that have lasted well over a year with no issues (ex the one in my car). Also, those inverters are potted, and have been for longer than any other kit on the market.

All kits have a lifespan, the racedash kits aren't the best but its a cheaper kit and isn't like total crap.

Edison@JleviSW 09-09-2006 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timmay77 (Post 4841553)
Nick, are you telling me that the inverters will get hot?

The inverters will not get hot so you shouldn't have an issue mounting them where I suggested.

Tyler@UniqueDesign 09-09-2006 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW (Post 4846104)
The inverters will not get hot so you shouldn't have an issue mounting them where I suggested.

Nick, there is absolutely no reason to mount them outside of the headlight - there are two things that can hurt the inverters as far as mounting position - water and heat.

Inside the headlight will be warmer, but dryer and the water is a MUCH more significant risk.

Leave them in the headlights, they will be fine, mine have been in my headlights for about a year and are 100% fine. Mine before were in the headlights for about a year and were fine as well (got different headlights).

Adenosinebambam 09-09-2006 02:50 PM

Quote:

The only elemental variable in this is water, if you pour water on these eBay types, you will fry them.

The ballasts will fail because they have had a very bad batch of them. We also ran into a small 100 unit bad batch, but have since resolved it (back in March of this year).

... I burned through 5 of your ballasts in 3 months.. the EBay ones I had before hand lasted 6 months and the guy I sold them to still has his..

umnitza 09-09-2006 03:26 PM

We apologize for the inconvenience.
As mentioned, we had a bad batch, you probably were in the middle of that. But we will send you anything you need.

Edison@JleviSW 09-09-2006 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyler@UniqueDesign (Post 4846189)
Nick, there is absolutely no reason to mount them outside of the headlight - there are two things that can hurt the inverters as far as mounting position - water and heat.

Inside the headlight will be warmer, but dryer and the water is a MUCH more significant risk.

Leave them in the headlights, they will be fine, mine have been in my headlights for about a year and are 100% fine. Mine before were in the headlights for about a year and were fine as well (got different headlights).

Tyler,

Either way works bud, no need to get in a huffy ;)

Tyler@UniqueDesign 09-09-2006 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW (Post 4846380)
Tyler,

Either way works bud, no need to get in a huffy ;)

I'm not getting in a huffy you just weren't even reading what he was posting and were without meaning to (I'm assuming) telling him he needed to move his inverters.

I think inside the headlight is a better mounting spot, but its not as easy to intall them there.

timmay77 09-10-2006 10:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by umnitza (Post 4845645)
Hey, even Datsun B1200 are still on the road, doesn't mean they don't usually break down.;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by umnitza (Post 4846338)
We apologize for the inconvenience.
As mentioned, we had a bad batch, you probably were in the middle of that. But we will send you anything you need.

Umnitza, Did you even READ my question? I asked about heat. Not whether or not the company I bought them from had a "bad batch". Do you even know who the manufacturer is that I bought them from? You don't think I have been reading all of the feedback about Ebay stuff? Yes many people say they are junk. Many people have shared storys of good products. The reason I went with ebay stuff, if it matters, is because I plan on getting P46's or some type of headlight replacement in the future. (That I will probably buy from Nick or Tyler now) I didn't want to waste 200 bucks when I will be replacing them soon anyway. Plus I wanted to tinker with my car for a bit. K? I don't mean to sound like a d!ck, but it drives me nuts when a sponsor drops a post for a plug to sell something.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyler@UniqueDesign (Post 4846189)

Thanks to all for your help, especially Nick and Tyler. It really impresses me when you see sponsers chime into a conversation and add their expert advise without trying to sell something. Props.