E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Polls & Surveys - Please Participate! (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Would you buy BLACK again? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=401635)

timax 09-13-2006 05:21 AM

Would you buy BLACK again?

I have mostly had silver cars and would like a change but though I think black looks great when clean I am scared that day to day it wil be a pain to keep looking good. Does any one have any comments on living with a black bimmer?
Tim

OneHipNip 09-13-2006 05:38 AM

I honestly don't think I will EVER get black again. It is an incredible pain in the ass to keep clean. However, if you have the time to wash/wax black can look incredible.

Emanuel 09-13-2006 05:55 AM

I've got TWO black BMWs, and from now on I think all of my cars will be black (see below). Yes, they're difficult to keep clean, but I think those few moments when they are clear are totally worth the effort :) Which isn't all that much really - 15-20 minutes and $2 in quarters at the local coin wash, once or twice a week. Once a month I wax whichever one I'm driving most. Once a year, I have each detailed, but I'd do that no matter what color my cars were.

SilverStreakTeg 09-13-2006 05:58 AM

I dont think i would get black again, at least not JET black, its such a *****, even waxing its a pain cause you get streaks of wax you cant see unless your working in a well lit garage. I always had silver cars and you can tell when their clean, and they look clean when their dirty. The Jet Black one gets dirty within 5 minutes of cleaning it. theres already dust on it. But when its clean, its the most beautiful thing ever. I wouldnt get Jet black but maybe the metallic black BMW has.

robin325ci 09-13-2006 06:09 AM

black is the hardest to maintain, but it is also the "shiniest" when taken care of. the big problem with black (and dark blue's) is swirl marks. just don't wipe the car when it's dusty and don't use an old rag when washing the car, and you'll be fine. if you want a color that's easy to maintain, go for silver

jeyur 09-13-2006 06:12 AM

i think i would. i REALLY like how the black looks on cars

Beefweasal 09-13-2006 06:28 AM

I just went from black to silver.....no more black cars for me. Its just too hot and a PITA to keep clean.

TravsM3 09-13-2006 06:32 AM

I love black - it's the sexiest color at night.

4ngie 09-13-2006 06:32 AM

I always say I'll never buy another one because of how hard they are to keep clean, but honestly, when it's clean (which is most of the time for me), it's absolutely gorgeous and I love it. :drool:

:eeps:

james2538 09-13-2006 06:36 AM

Its a major pita to keep it clean... but damn is it worth it. Still there are many other unique colors out there that I would look into next go around.

germanspec330i 09-13-2006 06:56 AM

I'm basically just going to reiterate what everyone else said. It's a huge pain to keep it clean, you wash it and then a day later its already a bit dirty...but when it is washed/waxed nothing beats it.

CPDePrins 09-13-2006 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by germanspec330i (Post 4863131)
I'm basically just going to reiterate what everyone else said. It's a huge pain to keep it clean, you wash it and then a day later its already a bit dirty...but when it is washed/waxed nothing beats it.

:werd:

Tireux Roche 09-13-2006 07:25 AM

I had a black Saab 9-3 (What a collosial POS that thing was) and don't think I'll ever do black again.

Lugnut2683 09-13-2006 07:40 AM

Not a BMW but...

I have personally never owned a black vehicle, by my parents have.

My dad once had a black 85' Vette. It looked sick when clean (I was the one always detailing it even as a young kid). I found it hilarious that he said he would never own a black car again because it was so hard to keep clean, even though I was the one who was always cleaning it. :lmao: Even at like age 10, I was freaking out when he would drive through puddles right after I washed it, :rofl:

In 04', my parents purchased a new Jaguar XJ8... in black, in spite of their promise to never own a black car again. Once they saw it, they simply couldn't resist! They also now live on a dirt road, so weekly washings are mandatory, if not twice a week! They used to keep the dust off the car with the California Car duster, but you should only really use that for pollen, and not dust from dirt as it can scratch the clearcoat.

The XJ8 is an otherwise "plainly" (yet classy) styled car. I've seen some in beige and they just disappear in traffic along with the multitude of other plain looking cars like Hondas and Toyotas. But because their car is black, it really has an upscale look to it that makes it stand out. I love the color... especially since I don't live at home and don't have to wash their cars for them weekly anymore! If you can deal with the maintenance, I'd say the color black is definitely worth it.

http://image09.webshots.com/9/4/79/4...0gDGEMC_fs.jpg

http://image09.webshots.com/9/4/84/6...5ptzqMf_fs.jpg

BMW Loe 09-13-2006 07:40 AM

I am considering Alpine white next time around.

JmAbshire 09-13-2006 07:48 AM

It's a classic BMW color for sure, but as said above a real headache if youíre a stickler on cleanliness. If you donít have a garage and a few hours a week to devote to washing, waxing, and buffing go with silver or white bimmer!

dave12345 09-13-2006 08:02 AM

id get it again.... ive mastered the techniques in cleaning/waxing

and when its mirror clean, i get madddddddd compliments especially when getting gas :pimpin:

xcelr8dbmw 09-13-2006 08:05 AM

alpine white all the way

I love My white car, so easy to maintain, you can hardly see any scratches or swirls. after one black car iv'e had enough.

fullswing 09-13-2006 08:27 AM

All of my cars have been black. The 330 is the first one I have had with a black interior. It gets hot if it has been sitting in the sun. The dark interior looks better with tint, especially at night. I doubt if I ever get a car that's not black, unless it's Italian.:)

Tim30250 09-13-2006 08:38 AM

Had one black car, and never will again. It showed too many small scratches and dust. Had to wash it constantly. Don't have that kind of time or patience anymore.