E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Lighting Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   LED Tail lights from autohobbyasia, LCM problem, help! (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=410569)

davemehta 10-12-2006 09:42 PM

LED Tail lights from autohobbyasia, LCM problem, help!

So after researching and even seeing some posts on here that the led taillights sold by autohobbyasia on eBay were good I purchased those lights.

Here is a link to the lights I purchased, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...DME:B:AAQ:US:1 and the seller said it would definitely work with my '02 US-Spec M3.

I installed them today (it was a pain in the ass) and I expected everything to work because it comes with resistors and everything... when I turned it on the warning lights on the dash were on for both rears and the led tail lights seemed to work but just were a little dimmer (kinda like they were flickering).

So I unplugged it and plugged back in the stock lights thinking this would fix the problem and it didn't! The warning lights stayed on and even the rear lights stayed lit even when the car was off! I unplugged the battery cable to try and 'reset' the whole system but nothing doing. So now my stock setup is screwed up and the LCM's don't really work well either.

What can I do, help please! :eek:

deafboy 10-12-2006 09:48 PM

yay ebay.... :wtf:

QuiKsiLvrCSL 10-12-2006 10:30 PM

gotta go to the stealership and have them bypass teh code.....good luck

phsinvent 10-13-2006 01:00 AM

I had this same situation happen last week, bought them from the same guy. I went about the install being very happy and confident to know there wouldn't be any dash lights on. But to my surprise, the rear tail leds would not turn off and the dash warning lights were lit. Also the tails flickered, plus the sun was going down and my garage was full of crap. And to top things off, my trunk lights would not turn off either, I followed the harness that came with the led's and just pulled the trunk bulbs and disconnected the led harness from the trunk light voltage. I have no clue why my trunk lights wouldn't go off. But that was causing the leds to stay lit when I shut all the doors and walked away. I guess that is some dumb feature to light the tails when a door is opened, but still have no clue why the trunk lights wouldn't go off, no big deal don't need trunk lights anyways. The trunk light only turned off when I armed the alarm. I guess these are the euro lights meant for their voltage but the funny thing now is that only my left rear dash warning light is lit after I press the brake. So I get into my car, press the brake and only the rear left warning light is on. I have no clue, I even swapped those resistor packs and capacitor type pack and the problem didn't follow. This is pissing me off also, ebay guy said he's mailing a replacement from taiwan but I told him i swapped the resistors and the problem is on the led boards. I think my next step might involve some 10 ohm resistors.

phsinvent 10-13-2006 01:03 AM

I thought re-setting the ecu involved turning the key to on position then to off and then starting it.

ImolaZHPDom 10-13-2006 10:53 AM

Wow, this sucks. Mine were just plug and play. If you have an M3 though I think you can go with OEM lights. That's what I would do if I had the choice. Good luck to you. I would love to see another happy LED owner.

ca1242 10-13-2006 12:22 PM

See if you can get a refund and buy aftermarket lights from a sponsor (i.e. Umnitza), or OEM from a dealer (you do have to get the dealer to reprogram your LCM if you get the OEM @ typically $50)

umnitza 10-13-2006 12:33 PM

I've said this often, and unfortunately, with so much information out there, it's all getting lost.

The lights on eBay are from Eagle Eyes, they do not work. They will never work unless you have an electrical engineer doing the work for you - which we do.

Our lights are guaranteed to work, each time, right out of the box.
No error messages.
No funky wiring.
No burnt LCM
No faulty connections.

They just work. We're also updating ALL of our product information to include the resistors with every order - no more drop downs to confuse you if you do or don't need resistors.

sanyomats 10-13-2006 02:17 PM

go umntiza...get a refund from ebay seller!!

Alex323Ci 10-13-2006 03:05 PM

I have OEM ones. So I had to use resistors. If they gave you resistors you might be able to do the check fuse pull. Read my post from about 2 years ago on this(link below). Good luck. If you have the coupe, do not buy aftemarket LEDs. ONLY GET OEM! You will see that several members agree(MITE46) did a whole reverse engineering on aftermarket ones and still said there's nothing as good as OEM. You can buy from Crevier BMW for very low cost and the extra is worth it for your BMW.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...5&postcount=75

minsoox1983 10-13-2006 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by umnitza (Post 4998602)
I've said this often, and unfortunately, with so much information out there, it's all getting lost.

The lights on eBay are from Eagle Eyes, they do not work. They will never work unless you have an electrical engineer doing the work for you - which we do.

Our lights are guaranteed to work, each time, right out of the box.
No error messages.
No funky wiring.
No burnt LCM
No faulty connections.

They just work. We're also updating ALL of our product information to include the resistors with every order - no more drop downs to confuse you if you do or don't need resistors.

let me back you up umnitza.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...11#post4999211

worked as exactly what he said,, :)

Alex323Ci 10-13-2006 06:38 PM

:yikes: Why are members paying $379 for aftermarket LEDs for a coupe?? You can get OEM LEDs with everything from Crevier BMW for under $400. These will have OEM cable connectors and come with the inside trunk lamp that is brighter and also have a cover panel on them for a clean look. Not to mention no exposed bulbs that can get broken or inside wiring showing. Add that these will have the best LEDs for brighter daytime visability and turn signals, fitment and guaranteed to match the new trunklamps (that should be bought to complete the look). You get your LCM reflashed for free or $50 max and you're done(as long as it's not early LCM).
OEM is the ONLY way to go for Coupes, the $25 or $75 you save is not worth what you are giving up in QUALITY or unproven longevity.

Now if I had a sedan that would be a different story if I "wanted" them.

umnitza 10-13-2006 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex323Ci (Post 4999816)
wanted them.

LCM reflash is not free. It's average price is $50-75.
Additionally, you have to purchase other parts along side these, possibly a new LCM in some cases. Therefore a plug and play solution that works and works better is a better choice for most.:hi:

Alex323Ci 10-13-2006 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by umnitza (Post 4999835)
LCM reflash is not free. It's average price is $50-75.
Additionally, you have to purchase other parts along side these, possibly a new LCM in some cases. Therefore a plug and play solution that works and works better is a better choice for most.:hi:

I did not say it "was free", rather it could be done for free or cost around $50. The dealer has been known to reflash for free, depends on dealership. The dealer is also not the only place that can do it. You just have to go to a shop with the proper Computer(The M-Shop in LA is one that does).
What other parts do you "have" to buy along side these?
Yes, in some cases, early cars would need a new LCM to be bought, but for the other five years of models only a reflash..right? And those early cases could just put in the $5 resistors themselves on OEM and still be good to go with All OEM parts and quality for $25 more.
I don't see how it works better??
Like I said, for sedans I don't think there is a better choice or option.
But for the cost of $379 or anything over $280 so not worth it for Coupes/M3s.

ecoE46 10-21-2006 02:52 PM

Alex323Ci,

I noticed that you said some people have to buy a new LCM on earlier cars.

Will I need to buy a new LCM for a '01 330Ci if I buy the OEM LED tail lights?

Just curious?

deafboy 10-21-2006 03:28 PM

^

no i think its build 6/00+ that are fine

mine is a 5/00 so i would have to buy a new LCM so it totally doesnt make it worth it, those things are $$$

Alex323Ci 10-21-2006 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecoE46 (Post 5029672)
Alex323Ci,
I noticed that you said some people have to buy a new LCM on earlier cars.
Will I need to buy a new LCM for a '01 330Ci if I buy the OEM LED tail lights?

The changover year is '01. I'm not certain of the buid dates. I'd have to look it up, or you your LCM part# on back. But you seem to be fine with an '01.
Quote:

Originally Posted by deafboy (Post 5029746)
^
no i think its build 6/00+ that are fine
mine is a 5/00 so i would have to buy a new LCM so it totally doesnt make it worth it, those things are $$$

This could certainly be correct. I don't recall the build cut-off dates. A new LCM from the dealer is like $170 with discount. But as you know many E46s are having short lives to accidents(moment of silence). Thus a used LCM can go from anywhere from $20 on ebay to $90 at an expensive salvage yard.