E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Lighting Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Headlight System Question on 2005 ZHP (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=411226)

mandms7 10-15-2006 10:52 PM

Headlight System Question on 2005 ZHP
 
I brought my 2005 330Ci in the other day to have the xenon adaptive headlight system checked out due to the headlights malfunctioning (not moving) intermittently. The previous owner of the car had angel eyes installed. I got a call later in the day, and the service advisor told me they won't cover repairing the headlight system because the headlights are no longer covered under warranty due to the angel eyes being installed. He said that since the headlight assembly had to have been opened to install the angel eyes, that action automatically voided the warranty on them. He said the only way to correct the problem is for me to purchase new headlights at a cost of $2,300!

Is there more to the "headlight system" than just the headlights? When the dealership ran a test, they found a fault code that mentioned a problem communicating with the "stepper motors". Where are those located? Is it possible that there is something wrong with the headlight system outside of the headlights?

james2538 10-15-2006 10:56 PM

Wow... They are really trying to screw you good.

The only thing necessay to remove in order to install angle eyes is the lens cover for the headlight. If they try to void the warrenty thats bullshit.

bimmerbum46 10-15-2006 11:55 PM

take it to another dealer.....that dealer is trying to spin the dreidle on your ass really bad

Tyler@UniqueDesign 10-16-2006 12:21 AM

I'd recommend you remove the angel eyes and try another dealer, hope it didn't get flagged in the computer.

I hate to say it, but there is a possibility its damage from the install (some people are less careful than others).

The DDE's themselves won't do anything, but if you can do the DIY, its worth taking them out, getting the lights fixed, and replacing them.

mandms7 10-16-2006 11:42 PM

Do the dealerships share a central database for service records? If I go to another dealership after I have the angel eyes removed, would that dealership know about the issue with the headlights?

Tyler@UniqueDesign 10-16-2006 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mandms7 (Post 5010468)
Do the dealerships share a central database for service records? If I go to another dealership after I have the angel eyes removed, would that dealership know about the issue with the headlights?

Depends on if the dealer made a note of it on the service records.

mandms7 10-18-2006 12:18 AM

So if on the invoice I received when picking up the car it mentions the modification to the headlights, it will show up on any dealership's system when they look up my car?

Tyler@UniqueDesign 10-18-2006 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mandms7 (Post 5015206)
So if on the invoice I received when picking up the car it mentions the modification to the headlights, it will show up on any dealership's system when they look up my car?

:eek: Probably. Thats a tough one to dodge if they put it in like that.

Might just find another dealer then. Ask around locally, I know of a couple where the tech's are more friendly, and maintenance work becomes more thorough for a small bribe.

umnitza 10-18-2006 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mandms7 (Post 5005425)
I brought my 2005 330Ci in the other day to have the xenon adaptive headlight system checked out due to the headlights malfunctioning (not moving) intermittently. The previous owner of the car had angel eyes installed. I got a call later in the day, and the service advisor told me they won't cover repairing the headlight system because the headlights are no longer covered under warranty due to the angel eyes being installed. He said that since the headlight assembly had to have been opened to install the angel eyes, that action automatically voided the warranty on them. He said the only way to correct the problem is for me to purchase new headlights at a cost of $2,300!

Is there more to the "headlight system" than just the headlights? When the dealership ran a test, they found a fault code that mentioned a problem communicating with the "stepper motors". Where are those located? Is it possible that there is something wrong with the headlight system outside of the headlights?

This sounds like San Francisco BMW or Sonnen.

Now, here's the rub:

1) If your previous owner screwed up the install in some way or did some damage to the lights, then they have the right to tell you that your headlight is broken and that you should pay to fix it but you shouldn't pay $2300, that's bogus.

2) If you legitimately believe that there is no issue with your lights, feel free to visit our shop in Pleasanton, we'll look it over and even recommend a location to get it fixed for less or nothing depending on how it's installed.

mandms7 10-18-2006 11:15 PM

Actually, it was Concord BMW.

I live in Livermore and would really appreciate it if I could come by and get your assistance. I really don't have any idea if it is the lights or not, and I need whatever help I can get in determining what exactly is going on. Who should I ask for when I call/come by?

Thanks,
Mark

Quote:

Originally Posted by umnitza (Post 5017039)
This sounds like San Francisco BMW or Sonnen.

Now, here's the rub:

1) If your previous owner screwed up the install in some way or did some damage to the lights, then they have the right to tell you that your headlight is broken and that you should pay to fix it but you shouldn't pay $2300, that's bogus.

2) If you legitimately believe that there is no issue with your lights, feel free to visit our shop in Pleasanton, we'll look it over and even recommend a location to get it fixed for less or nothing depending on how it's installed.


umnitza 10-19-2006 12:50 AM

You can visit on Monday/Tuessday of next week. This week is very busy already.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use