E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   DIY: Do It Yourself (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   DIY Stop using carb clean for vaccum leaks!! Here is a alternative (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=445181)

jbeurotech 02-16-2007 01:27 PM

DIY Stop using carb clean for vaccum leaks!! Here is a alternative

1 Attachment(s)
Build this smoke machine for under $30 and be able to find vaccum leaks the correct way!! Carb clean will not show most vaccum leaks, this will help you find those very small vaccum leaks!! This inert smoke will fill the intake and leak out the smallest leaks, indicating where you have an issue. This is the only way to properly find a vaccum leak!! Our profesional machines work better. However most of you DIY's do not have the money to drop on the tools that we use. But this will get you close!!

Alex323Ci 02-16-2007 01:50 PM

Seth, are you saying this going into the intake and leaks outs(not that you fill the engine compartment and look for it to go in right?) Also what's with the diesel glow plug?

jbeurotech 02-16-2007 01:58 PM

Yup goes into an intake use or intake inlet. Glow plug must be powered up to burn the fluid causing the smoke.

---zxcvbnm--- 02-16-2007 08:50 PM

Most people who drive bmws have no clue what a vaccume leak is let alone what to do with this tool. Its sad but true. Thanks for the info

Rotha 02-16-2007 10:35 PM

okay so attach 12 volt source to glow plug. lol i get it now.

I think i might be the type to go to spencers and get a smoke machine for 30 dollars.

thank you so much though. This is pretty smart :D

jbeurotech 02-17-2007 01:43 AM

the smoke machine spensors uses will not put enough pressure out and do this job as needed. also not sure what they use for smoke, I know thi is safe to put into your car!!

jbeurotech 02-17-2007 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ---zxcvbnm--- (Post 5544176)
Most people who drive bmws have no clue what a vaccume leak is let alone what to do with this tool. Its sad but true. Thanks for the info

I would tend to agree but I get auffly tired of hearing spray it with carb cleaner to find the leak!! So I made this post to inform peopl of the right way and proper way wiether they use it or not I can stop answering questions on how to find small leaks

supark 02-18-2007 10:28 AM

huh - nifty! Definitely sounds like a useful tool - done my share of trying to find vac leaks with carb cleaner, always a pain.

Tom Busby 02-19-2007 11:59 AM

Brilliant tool idea! Thanks for the picture and post.

PreppyR6 02-20-2007 09:39 AM

Hey, you got any pics of an actual diy machine like this? Im trying to get ideas of how to what kinds of parts and how to connect.

GRIDLOCK 05-08-2007 10:19 PM

Quote:

Hey, you got any pics of an actual diy machine like this? Im trying to get ideas of how to what kinds of parts and how to connect.
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...K/products.jpg

mikepbrooks 05-09-2007 12:32 AM

i really hope someone didnt copy this guys idea and made those...

asilva 05-09-2007 03:46 AM

how about the propane method?

Lemonsqr 05-09-2007 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikepbrooks (Post 5988784)
i really hope someone didnt copy this guys idea and made those...

what do you mean? :hmm: The OP didnt come up with the concept of a smoking vacuum leak detector. What he drew out was just a schematic of the basic things you need to make one yourself. Every commercial smoking vacuum detector is based around the same basic parts...a low pressurized air source to force the smoke into the engine, some way to regulate it, a way to generate engine component/sensor safe smoke and the plumbing to hook it all together and to the engine...

mikepbrooks 05-09-2007 06:40 PM

oh ok my bad....

GRIDLOCK 05-09-2007 07:40 PM

Went to the local Lowes and they didn't have squat as far as metal containers go (steel or aluminum)...

Any recommendations on where to go? I am definitely going to build one and put up a DIY!

mikepbrooks 05-09-2007 11:25 PM

probably could use something food or something comes it...check wally world lol

Lemonsqr 05-09-2007 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRIDLOCK (Post 5992805)
Went to the local Lowes and they didn't have squat as far as metal containers go (steel or aluminum)...

Any recommendations on where to go? I am definitely going to build one and put up a DIY!

Dood! get creative :) If I were going to do this, I would try to find a hand held pesticide or weedkiller sprayer with a metal can, put a glowplug through the bottom with a nice gasket or petroleum proof sealant and replumb the pickup tube in the metal resevoir so you are only sucking out the smoke you are generating. This way you dont have to worry about electric pumps and extra plumbing. Just make sure the sprayer you get has a high enough pressure to force the smoke through the whole engine. I would imagine 10psi is more than enough. Good luck :thumbsup:

bmwstephen 05-09-2007 11:44 PM

what is the method DEALERSHIPS use to find vaccuum leaks?

seth you should start making a couple of these and selling them here

Lemonsqr 05-10-2007 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwstephen (Post 5994099)
what is the method DEALERSHIPS use to find vaccuum leaks?

seth you should start making a couple of these and selling them here

They use commercially available smoke machines.