E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Sub box/enclosure pics? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=4674)

abefroman 05-07-2002 11:09 AM

Sub box/enclosure pics?

Can anyone please post pics of their sub box/enclosure setup in their e46's? I'm planning on doing a system and am looking for ideas. Thanks.:D

e46fanatic 05-07-2002 01:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
im not done with it but im getting close. i made this box to fit in the spare tire well. its fiberglassed in. here is a pic of it when i first started.

XscoreX 05-07-2002 01:00 PM

Yeah! Im really interested in this too, I would really like someone to post diagrams or plans or a step by step on how to make a col trunck set up, Ive looked & looked & found NOTHING!

e46fanatic 05-07-2002 01:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
heres a little more of it done.

XscoreX 05-07-2002 01:03 PM

Thats looks pretty cool, can you post some more pics of the enclosure like what the underside looks like & how you got it to sit in the wheel well, maybe write up a how too on what you did??

e46fanatic 05-07-2002 01:06 PM

i should be done with it soon. i have done a lot more but just havent taken any pics yet. there is a top cover that will be wraped to match the black leather. so far so good!

e46fanatic 05-07-2002 01:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is another pic. i still have too wrap the top and cut two spots in the top for the amps. then i will wrap the top.

e46fanatic 05-07-2002 01:34 PM

ill do a write up and email it to ya. im not too good at that kinda stuff:thumbup:

XscoreX 05-07-2002 02:11 PM

Holy ****! that looks tight as hell! I would really appreciate a step by step on how you did that, It looks like alot of work, but its tight!

jaytee0401 05-07-2002 02:37 PM

Materials???

Quote:

Originally posted by e46fanatic
here is another pic. i still have too wrap the top and cut two spots in the top for the amps. then i will wrap the top.
hey e46,

I was just wondering is silver/metal looking material is that around your subs??? is that fiberglass spray painted silver or what??? just curious....btw..good ****...on the work...:thumbup:

e46fanatic 05-07-2002 02:48 PM

i built a frame on top of the box. then i streched fiberglass cloth. then i used fiberglass over the top of the cloth. after it was hard i spread fiberglass bondo over the top to even it out. once that was done i sanded it. that took alot of time!!! its hard to see but there are a lot of curves so you just cant use a sander. i sprayed it silver to match my dash. trust me it is a **** load of work but i think in the end it will be worth it!! plus i didnt have to pay someone too do it!!!

XscoreX 05-07-2002 02:50 PM

Im curious as to how the subs fit in the wheel well, is it just a regular box under them or are they just sitting on top of the board with nothing under them?

e46fanatic 05-07-2002 03:11 PM

no it is a sealed box!!! i built a frame on top of where the spare goes. then i lined the spare tire area with foil(the spare tire area) after that i put fiberglass cloth around the frame and in the spare tire area. then i spread the fiberglass resin all over the cloth(with a paint brush) in all i gave it three coats of fiberglass. after about three hours pull the box out and take the foil off the outside of it. then put a top on it and cut the holes.

s4play 05-07-2002 03:37 PM

here's a sneak peek of my trunk!

1 Attachment(s)
simple yet very eye catching at car shows. Box is easily removeable if the need arises for trunk space.

rick

HellFish 05-07-2002 03:43 PM

will the stock bmw sterio control subs?

mcabr 05-07-2002 05:02 PM

yeah but you lose power

because you have to tap into the speaker output wires and they don't give you that much power to your subs. I have heard that it helps to add an EQ if you are going to go with the stock stereo approach.

e46fanatic 05-07-2002 05:43 PM

Quote:

yeah but you lose power
what the???????? lose power?????? how? im running two amps. one for the mids and highs and one for the subs. you cant even sit in my car!!!! you will be fine if you use your stock deck! why change it???

HellFish 05-07-2002 05:52 PM

ok also does this void the warrenty? If so, does it void the audio warrenty, or the whole electrical warrenty?

mcabr 05-07-2002 05:54 PM

That is what I heard

My girl has the stock deck with a sub and it is not that loud. I have an aftermarket with a sub and mine is bangin. I heard that it has to do with the difference of having dedicated subwoofer output rca's as opposed to using the adapter. If you have enough power and enough subs then of course it is going to be thunder bass. I was referring to people who want a more subtle approach and are not trying to recreate that high school I want to be the most noticed car in school bass. Thanks.

mcabr 05-07-2002 05:57 PM

I guess I better be careful what I say

Because of Mr. "E46FANA$$hole" but if BMW does not do it then it can void your warrant. Have you ever read that sticker that comes on your window when you recieve your car? It says that putting non-bmw electronics can void your warranty but for some reason if bmw installs them it is okay. Just tell them that you got it done at another dealer if they ask and they will never know the difference.