E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Aftermarket screen (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=4860)

wyu 05-08-2002 10:45 AM

Aftermarket screen
 
I was thinking about maybe putting a aftermarket screen & nav on my car. I was trying to figure out the best place to mount this setup. The Best place I could come up with was the map storage area/ ash tray area. Just wanted to get the forums opionion on this. Do you think it will be too low and that it would be hazardous? What other places would I be able to mount a non-flip type screen in my car?

Thanks

wyu 05-08-2002 02:11 PM

*bump* nobody? not even a pitty reply? :sad:

.Gravedgr. 05-08-2002 02:15 PM

Well, I'm thinking of the same thing....but since I don't have any experience with it, I wasn't gonna post. Try to stay quiet unless I have something to say (other than "me too!" or "I agree!").

Sorry... :eeps:

David328Ci 05-08-2002 02:24 PM

The storage/ashtray area is a good place. If any of you guys remeber JB's whip that's where he put his nav screen.

Topaz330 05-08-2002 02:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here's where i put mine

RR BuGGz 05-08-2002 02:31 PM

Personally I think that location is a bit too low to be practical. Besides I prefer a flip screen head unit like the Alpine IVA-C801 or the Pioneer 7300DVD. Or you can get a monitor on a bracket/stand and attach it in the center/top air vents.

wyu 05-08-2002 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Topaz330
here's where i put mine
You were partly my Inspiration. http://forum.e46fanatics.com/images/icons/icon12.gif
So do you find it to be pretty easy to take a quick glance at it (to see the map or to see where the arrow is pointing) and not be distracted by it since you have to kinda look downwards at it? Probably my biggest concern is safety.

wyu 05-08-2002 02:51 PM

True, the flip out units have the advantage of being higher up, which I like, But one one thing I don't really like about the flipouts are that they do not look as "clean". I haven't really considered a bracket to be attached to the top vents, since I think this would attract too much unwanted attention. (theives)



Quote:

Originally posted by RR BuGGz
Personally I think that location is a bit too low to be practical. Besides I prefer a flip screen head unit like the Alpine IVA-C801 or the Pioneer 7300DVD. Or you can get a monitor on a bracket/stand and attach it in the center/top air vents.

SrCsTc 05-08-2002 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Topaz330
here's where i put mine
Where did you get the work done?

drmirage 05-08-2002 03:44 PM

i went to al and ed's @ auto sound @ northridge, CA the other day and they suggested to put it there in the bottom.

true, if it replaces the standard head unit, it may attract too much attention. (theft) :P but its high.. a lot easier to look. the best nav's i've seen were the IS300. its right on top of the dash. and its got a top panel where you can hide it.

they quoted me around $3000 for a pioneer system. :yikes:

a little too much. i got my 325ci used w/o a nav. a new 325ci with nav would have costed alot too :P

how much did ya get yours installed for?

.Gravedgr. 05-08-2002 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Topaz330
here's where i put mine
That's very nice looking - I like the way the black trim follow the curves of the center panel. Do you mind letting us in on the model & prices for the unit (people have already asked about the installation costs).

wyu 05-08-2002 04:10 PM

Yes, i've seen the is300 unit, and I like it a lot. It would probably be really expensive to get that type of setup on the bimmers.

$3000 seems a little high, but about right for a pioneer setup /nav and labor. How were they planning on mounting the monitor? fiberglass? The OEM bmw nav is aprox 1900 i think from the factory, if you want to do a retrofit (put it in a car that doesn't have it) its going to cost about 4000 in just parts!



Quote:

Originally posted by drmirage
i went to al and ed's @ auto sound @ northridge, CA the other day and they suggested to put it there in the bottom.

true, if it replaces the standard head unit, it may attract too much attention. (theft) :P but its high.. a lot easier to look. the best nav's i've seen were the IS300. its right on top of the dash. and its got a top panel where you can hide it.

they quoted me around $3000 for a pioneer system. :yikes:

a little too much. i got my 325ci used w/o a nav. a new 325ci with nav would have costed alot too :P

how much did ya get yours installed for?


Topaz330 05-08-2002 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by wyu


You were partly my Inspiration. http://forum.e46fanatics.com/images/icons/icon12.gif
So do you find it to be pretty easy to take a quick glance at it (to see the map or to see where the arrow is pointing) and not be distracted by it since you have to kinda look downwards at it? Probably my biggest concern is safety.


you can just listen to the voice prompts, and use the map just as a reference so you don't need to look down all the time

Topaz330 05-08-2002 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by .Gravedgr.

That's very nice looking - I like the way the black trim follow the curves of the center panel. Do you mind letting us in on the model & prices for the unit (people have already asked about the installation costs).


nope, the screen is the icon av-7001 7" widescreen, i got it wholesale but price ranges from 500-600 roughly. besides that, the whole trim was Fiberglassed in there and then painted to the same color as our dash panels.


all the work was done at hi-fi on rt 1 in edison

bender 05-09-2002 03:03 AM

alpine nav system is gonan be the easiest on the pocket book. You can get their flip out monitor for $950 retail, the nav reader for $2000 and a nice alpine mp3 changer for $300...everything you need....labor would range aroung $350 $400. you could place the Nav reader in the glove box.

.Gravedgr. 05-09-2002 08:05 AM

Thanks guys - I'll keep all of this in mind. I have a feeling that this will wait until Christmas at the very least. Later this year, I'll have the option to sell some stock to raise some $$$...potentially $10k or so depending on how our stock does, so we'll just have to wait and see. :pimpin:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use