E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Axxis/Mintex rattling info... (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=5013)

jason330i 05-08-2002 09:44 PM

Axxis/Mintex rattling info...

A few months ago, I installed dustless brake pads on my 02 330i. I have Axxis in the front and Mintex in the rear. I've had them for a few months and everything was great. Recently I started hearing a rattling sound coming from the rear. The sound only occured when traveling over bumpy roads. At first I thought it was a loose exhaust or something.

Took it to the dealer today and they said that the rattling was coming from my rear brake pads. I was skeptical at first, since everyone I talked to did not believe it.

Well, just took look at the driver's side rear brake and yes, indeed, the inside brake pad is loose. You can actually "jiggle" it parallel to the rotor and hear it clank against the caliper. It was the same rattling noise I was hearing.

I pulled the pads out, expanded the clips so that it would fit tighter in the caliper (don't know if that did anything) and added a bunch more anti-squeal solution.

I think this is only a temporary solution and I believe in time the pad will come loose again. I think the best thing to do is use an anti-squeal solution that hardens like glue as mentioned in a previous post.

I don't know why the Mintex pad jiggles, but I'll talk to Karl and see what he says.

edwars2 05-08-2002 09:59 PM

How loose are we talking here? maybe your caliber isn't working correctly! have someone press the brake peddle while you watch to see if caliber is actually pressing pads against rotor.

If so then it sounds like for some reason caliber is releasing to far allowing to much of a gap. Its suppose to just loosen up enough so that there is a slight clearance between rotor and pads.

Did you install pads yourself? What did you use to compress caliber piston so that you could fit new pads on?

jason330i 05-08-2002 10:01 PM

loose enough to jiggle the pad parallel to the rotor. the pad was making contact with the rotor at all times.

yup did it myself with the help of some friends. used a c-clamp.

edwars2 05-08-2002 10:07 PM

Well for all I know, there shouldn't be enough gap for you to rattle pad back and forth... And I can;t imagine how a different pad brand would make a differene!

By any chance while using C-clamp, did you just clamp down on one side of caliber piston? This is not good for it at all and probably could lead to ruining it... Not sure how you did it but correct way is to place a small flat object across piston (or use old break bad) and compress in center so that piston is getting equal pressure all the way around.

I know this doesn;t help you current situation but just for FYI... Good Luck in figuring out problem!

KromeX 05-08-2002 11:09 PM

I have no idea if this is true or not and I don't want to be spreading any rumors but I heard the 330 rear pads were actually 7 series pads and that's why it's not a perfect fit like the OEM pads.

jason330i 05-08-2002 11:14 PM

i heard that too.

well, the pad isn't moving now and there is no rattling. if it starts rattling again then i will cross that bridge when i come to it. all i know is i can never go back to stock brake pads.
:tsk:

sgv321 05-09-2002 12:05 AM

I have axxis, I hear no rattling.