E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Asia (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Why Do Drivers in the Philippines Wait So Long Before They Turn On Their Headlights? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=531808)

SD 328I 12-21-2007 01:27 AM

Why Do Drivers in the Philippines Wait So Long Before They Turn On Their Headlights?
 
I was in the Philippines recently visiting family and noticed that most drivers wait until it's completely dark before they turn on their headlights! Why?

EMVY 12-23-2007 02:36 AM

Driving your lights on is weird thing to do. It's not like in North America where Daytime running lights have been the norm years ago. So in the PI, if you turn on your lights too early you luck unusual, weird, etc.

Have you noticed how people keep on using their horns? In the PI its a means of communication like saying:

Excuse me, watch out, careful, hurry up, hey!, nice legs!, and many other things. Try using the horn in North America and see the reaction.

Or how about this. Do you know how many people go out drinking heavily from beer to scotch black in the gimmick areas and how many people go home through EDSA and the other highways, and we all get to go home in one piece. In the Philippines, the way we drive is defensive. Meaning you avoid everyone. And it is normal to avoid another car as soon as 1 ft. of that car moves in your direction. It is also normal to slow down in intersections because it is quite common someone rushes in.

I'll bet you my shirt that the number of accidents in the Philippines is lower than the US considering how many people drink and drive during weekends. Its the way we drive in PI, we are all defensive drivers.

Breyton-BMW 12-25-2007 05:43 PM

I heard this one from a cab driver. He says that turning on the lights consumes more gas.

///M3Turk 12-26-2007 12:19 AM

^^^hahah

threecoupe 05-13-2008 08:19 AM

the longer you turn them on, the more your car deppreciates

eml 05-14-2008 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breyton-BMW (Post 7129251)
I heard this one from a cab driver. He says that turning on the lights consumes more gas.

hahaha ... in a way, there's some truth to this. even bmw has moved to "disconnect" the charging system (i.e., alternator) at times. i guess the cab driver computed how much extra hp he gains or less fuel he consumes saving those 55w x 2 ...

gruvn 05-19-2008 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD 328I (Post 7107550)
I was in the Philippines recently visiting family and noticed that most drivers wait until it's completely dark before they turn on their headlights! Why?

hahaha well said EMVY...


i take pride in letting friends know that i learned driving in the streets of manila and cavite before moving here in the US...so many advantages....:thumbsup:


nice cars SD 328...I live in SD too..
funny we both have same taste on cars..got an Expy EB too (2000 model)...SD E46'ers is having a bbq g2g, hope to see you there...........

SD 328I 05-21-2008 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gruvn (Post 7934835)
hahaha well said EMVY...


i take pride in letting friends know that i learned driving in the streets of manila and cavite before moving here in the US...so many advantages....:thumbsup:


nice cars SD 328...I live in SD too..
funny we both have same taste on cars..got an Expy EB too (2000 model)...SD E46'ers is having a bbq g2g, hope to see you there...........

:) Absolutely, we will all meet at my parents newly built house in Luzon, the pool should be done by the time we are back in the PI, family reunion in November.

Breyton-BMW 05-23-2008 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eml (Post 7909559)
hahaha ... in a way, there's some truth to this. even bmw has moved to "disconnect" the charging system (i.e., alternator) at times. i guess the cab driver computed how much extra hp he gains or less fuel he consumes saving those 55w x 2 ...

I doubt it:rofl: .

JDE330CI 04-29-2013 07:36 PM

i heard it might ran out battery


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use