E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Start-up Idle Issue (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=590659)

EXNoodle 07-10-2008 01:11 PM

Start-up Idle Issue

Have a 2004 330CI ZHP. When I start the car, the starter usually runs a little longer than usual, then the engine is super low on RPMs and running rough. There is a blackish smoke coming out of the tail pipe. This will go on for ever as far as I know, until I push on the gas once, then it idles perfectly, runs smooth and otherwise the car operates well. Check engine light never turns on, so the dealer says they do not know what is wrong.

Dealer says, go get gas at a different station. I have, nothing has changed.

Dealer says said put in fuel system cleaner. After that, it reduces how often it happens, but does not eliminate it and once the cleaner is out of the tank, the issue comes back.

Wanted to ask for advice before I go out and get more fuel system cleaner as it is the only thing that helps.

Thank you all.

(I put in 93 octane)

TxZHP04 07-10-2008 01:58 PM

Do you always run a Top Tier gasoline brand?

Did the blackish smoke occur before or after you added fuel system cleaner? If after, it probably means it's burning off deposits. What fuel additive did you use? I would recommend a bottle of Red Line SI-1 in each of your next few tanks of gas just to make sure things get cleaned out good.

You may also need to remove and clean your ICV, but not sure why tapping the gas once would alleviate the rough idle if that were the cause.

EXNoodle 07-10-2008 02:55 PM

Yes, always run 93 octane, usually from Hess.

The smoke comes where there is not fuel system cleaner in the car.

The fuel cleaner was Chevron Fuel System Cleaner, its the newest one they have out.

I have no clue why tapping on the gas stops it either.

I have cleaned my mass air flow sensor as well, and no change.

acegti 07-10-2008 02:59 PM

Hess is considered Top Tier? I dunno. I use Exxon or BP/Amoco. My car seems to run best on Exxon. The Chevron fuel system cleaner has gotten great reviews, from what I've seen.

EXNoodle 07-10-2008 03:08 PM

Hess is not top Teir. You would figure with there catch phrase from 1989, "Stop at the green and get some power gasoline" they would be...

Anyone else have any ideas?

silverslider 07-10-2008 03:14 PM

Does the DME have any fault codes? it almost sounds like a crankcase vent valve diaphragm sticking open when cold, you can easily check this by slowly removing your oil filling cap when you first start the car while its warming up, if it dies or runs extremely rough then the vacuum loss to crankcase is greater than it should be.

erfont 07-10-2008 05:25 PM

check for vacuum leaks

EXNoodle 07-11-2008 07:36 AM

silverslider- Many thanks!!! I took the oil cap off, and bam, instant smooth running engine! :excited:

Thank you, its been chapping my balls for about 6 months now. I will do some research on the crankcase vent valve diaphram and see what I can to loosen it up or fix it.

Should I clean or replace? I guess it depends on its condition.

Again, many thanks!!!!

silverslider 07-11-2008 08:49 AM

You are welcome :pimpin:

Most definitely replace the valve, they are fairly cheap, now installing it can be a bit tricky on the M54 engine, you have to remove the throttle body and air box, the quick release hoses are very brittle, you should also get the hoses, the two main ones anyways one to the valve cover and one to the oil pan, If you do take it to a shop the labor rate should not be more than 3.5hrs. It is also very important to clear the adaptations once you do the work.
:)

EXNoodle 07-11-2008 11:25 AM

Silverslider - you dont by chance know the part number so I can look it up on Real OEM?

EXNoodle 07-15-2008 07:09 AM

does anyone have the part number from the realoem for this broken part?

Thanks

EXNoodle 11-14-2012 07:55 AM

Problem solved: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...600&highlight=

NOVAbimmer 11-14-2012 08:28 AM

make a thread about it. matter of fact, make four