E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Watch out for eBay crap!!! (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=592990)

OEMguy 07-18-2008 04:44 PM

Watch out for eBay crap!!!

I spent $40 on an "OEM quality and fit" air cabin microfilter. A day after I installed it my service engine soon indicator came on, I was freaking out and went to Autozone to do a free diagnostic and code P1624 came on which is a "Pedal Position Sensor Potentiometer Supply Channel 1 Electrical" whatever the hell that is. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with my car so I removed that ebay air cabin filter and the service engine soon indicator turned off. What a rip off! Waste of $40. On top of all that it didn't even fit right, when I removed the ebay airfilter the filter was all smashed. :censor:

kpeng 07-18-2008 04:46 PM

You're kidding right?

A microfilter is not going to set off any sort of engine code. It has absolutely nothing to do with the engine code you threw. You had an electrical problem in your pedal system. The fact that it went off, is purely coincidental, and due to the fact that it was a one time occurrence.

1) You didn't even take the time to understand what the error code was, instead you just say "whatever that means".

2) Kinda funny your username is OEMguy, and you immediately make a completely unwarranted thread about "eBay crap" when it didn't have anything to do with your problem.

3) What kind of cabin filter are you buying for $40?

I smell fishyness.

OEMguy 07-18-2008 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpeng (Post 8248041)
You're kidding right?

A microfilter is not going to set off any sort of engine code. It has absolutely nothing to do with the engine code you threw. You had an electrical problem in your drive-by-wire system. The fact that it went off, is purely coincidental, and due to the fact that it was a one time occurrence.

1) You didn't even take the time to understand what the error code was, instead you just say "whatever that means".

2) Kinda funny your username is OEMguy, and you immediately make a completely unwarranted thread about "eBay crap" when it didn't have anything to do with your problem.

3) What kind of cabin filter are you buying for $40?

I smell fishyness.

Reading reviews of the P1624 problem, it is related to a thermostat, I have no problems with my thermostat. I paid $30 for the filter and $10 for shipping. And when I say eBay crap the auction states quality FIT, I had to jam the cover on the air filter, the thing was so light, it felt like it was made from some cheap chinese crap, not genuine German quality.

kpeng 07-18-2008 05:01 PM

Ok, and your cabin filter doesn't relate to your thermostat either. Your point?

carcus 07-18-2008 05:12 PM

Betcha that code pops up again one day. When I was splicing wires for the SMG paddle shifters, the secondary air pump code came on same day. Obviously not related. A cabin air filter would never set off a code. Hell, you could take a dump in there and still have no code. I would not recommend that though....LOL:rofl:

Nemesis330Ci 07-18-2008 05:25 PM

Wow, I think I payed less for my filter at the dealer.

OEMguy 07-18-2008 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpeng (Post 8248041)
You're kidding right?

A microfilter is not going to set off any sort of engine code. It has absolutely nothing to do with the engine code you threw. You had an electrical problem in your pedal system. The fact that it went off, is purely coincidental, and due to the fact that it was a one time occurrence.

Ok I'll tell you what, take out your microfilter, wait a couple of hours, drive around without your microfilter and tell me what happens. I highly disagree that the microfilter doesn't effect the engine code. I know you might be thinking "I have like 12,000 more posts than this guy what does he know?" You claim to be the destroyer of noobs, now take my advice, DESTROY YOURSELF!

dmon_101 07-18-2008 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OEMguy (Post 8248294)
Ok I'll tell you what, take out your microfilter, wait a couple of hours, drive around without your microfilter and tell me what happens. I highly disagree that the microfilter doesn't effect the engine code. I know you might be thinking "I have like 12,000 more posts than this guy what does he know?" You claim to be the destroyer of noobs, now take my advice, DESTROY YOURSELF!

That's like him saying the brand of oil you use doesn't matter, and then you say to remove all oil from the car, drive it around, and see what happens. I.......just don't even know where to start on that one. :confused:

OEMguy 07-18-2008 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmon_101 (Post 8248310)
That's like him saying the brand of oil you use doesn't matter, and then you say to remove all oil from the car, drive it around, and see what happens. I.......just don't even know where to start on that one. :confused:

My point is he claims the microfilter has nothing to do with engine code. I asked this other guy with a 00 323i down the street to remove his microfilter for a couple of hours and drive around without his microfilter and the service engine soon light came on, hence my theory, microfilter is related to engine codes. Don't ask me why or how, I'm just basing off experiences.

kpeng 07-18-2008 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OEMguy (Post 8248294)

If you think that by removing my microfilter, it will throw a code, you're an idiot. I no longer feel the need to add any more input to this thread.

carcus 07-18-2008 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpeng (Post 8248344)
If you think that by removing my microfilter, it will throw a code, you're an idiot. I no longer feel the need to add any more input to this thread.

No problem kpeng, I am going to take my cigarette lighter out and drive around tomorrow and see if I throw a code....LOL, actually forgot, it was removed to plug in my Garmin NAV....I never threw a code. I could remove a engine beauty cover though and see if that throws a code.....LOL

OP, seriously, kpeng and myself are not messing with ya, there is nothing that monitors the microfilter. I would focus on the code you had and do research from there. You can blame it on something like a cabin air filter....and when something breaks on you later....you see what I mean.:tsk:

mooninite 07-18-2008 05:58 PM

What kind of OEMguy pays $40 for a $20 filter? Wow....

Here you go.
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...rtnumber=C3640

Now go away.

Brian N 07-18-2008 06:01 PM

LOL at this thread. :rofl:

paraklas 07-18-2008 06:02 PM

Give us the ebay link of the item. Are you confusing the cabin micro filter with the engine air filter?

Alex323Ci 07-18-2008 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paraklas (Post 8248437)
Give us the ebay link of the item. Are you confusing the cabin micro filter with the engine air filter?

sounds like that is the mistake here.
if not, then OP cabin air filter throwing codes could only be from messing with wiring around the filter.

dmon_101 07-18-2008 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpeng (Post 8248344)

Yeah, that. Baby Jesus => :cry:

carcus 07-18-2008 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex323Ci (Post 8248482)
sounds like that is the mistake here.
if not, then OP cabin air filter throwing codes could only be from messing with wiring around the filter.

Nope he states "Air Cabin Microfilter" Could be his - Scrolling LED license plate frame....LOL, setting off the code.:4ngie:

kpeng 07-18-2008 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carcus (Post 8248502)
Nope he states "Air Cabin Microfilter" Could be his - Scrolling LED license plate frame....LOL, setting off the code.:4ngie:

lolol.

Must be the super JDM awesome bright LED scrolling action mega sweet license frame.

franz 07-18-2008 08:34 PM

:popcorn:

wasp9166 07-18-2008 08:41 PM

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/49/cry_baby.jpg