E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General Off-Topic (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Police parked his patrol car illegally (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=594515)

Caveman 07-24-2008 09:47 AM

Police parked his patrol car illegally

Should they get away with it ?

Quote:

PORTLAND, Ore. - Remember the big controversy that got stirred up a couple of months ago when a citizen filed a complaint against a cop who parked in a no parking zone to pick up some take-out?

Well, the two were in court on Wednesday and after hearing both sides of the story, the judge decided that the officer did park illegally and should get a ticket.

Police contend Officer Chad Stensgaard did the right thing back in March when he parked his patrol car in a no parking zone in front of a northwest Portland restaurant. They argue that he needed to park there so he could still respond to emergencies.

But attorney Eric Bryant, who filed the complaint, believes police should have to obey the law just like everyone else and that is why he, in essence, gave the officer a parking ticket.

The judge did say that Officer Stensgaard acted in a reasonable manner and that he believes the state law needs to change. Police say they are already trying to do exactly that.

In the meantime, police are worried this will embolden more people to file citizen complaints against them. They say they still instruct their officers to park illegally if necessary.

Caveman 07-24-2008 09:47 AM

And oh yeah on the other day... My parents got it for me and they said not to crash it. I can't wait to take it street racing around town, this car is beyond sweeet

See you guys on the road.
http://www.dochemp.com/ahanger/carreraGT2c.jpg

http://www.dochemp.com/ahanger/carreraGTfront.jpg

http://www.dochemp.com/ahanger/carreraGT2d.jpg

bavari13 07-24-2008 09:49 AM

:rofl:

ghorn 07-24-2008 10:06 AM

i don't have a problem w. them parking illegally at all.

davidwarren 07-24-2008 10:09 AM

I love stories where attorneys stick it to cops.

Andyman746 07-24-2008 10:09 AM

i do think that cops abuse their power somewhat, but what if the cops(while getting their lunch) get an urgent emergency call? It will take them longer to walk down the block to their "legitimate parking spot" rather than the double parked spot.

SLVR JDM 07-24-2008 10:10 AM

I don't have a problem with it....it is one of the perks of the job I suppose.

Also, I've never noticed how upright the pedals are in the CGT. Looks potentially uncomfortable even, but I can't say as I'll ever have the chance to find out :(

jmcdolej 07-24-2008 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonJon (Post 8276091)
Kinda like The Devil putting Hitler in the timeout chair for being bad

Watch it now all of us are not money grubbing leaches, ok maye I am but I think I know one who might not be.

malum 07-24-2008 10:19 AM

Quote:

In the meantime, police are worried this will embolden more people to file citizen complaints against them.
God forbid police are held accountable for their actions

jmcdolej 07-24-2008 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonJon (Post 8276106)
:rofl:

Get that money

Its a struggle right now. But in all honesty judges and lawyers are about the only people that can really stick it to cops. When I was in the prosecutors office we had this one cop who would never come to court FOR FELONIES he filed. His supervisor didnt care, Judge was pissed, said if he didnt show up again he was going to jail for two days ummm he said it in the local newspaper.

Carskibum 07-24-2008 10:24 AM

the cop should 100 percent be able to park closest possible spot to the door if they are getting lunch. they dont have the luxury of having a designated lunch time to relax so if they get a call they need to move fast. Imagine there was home invasion where precious seconds matter or a car crash...

The person filing this complaint is retarted, the cops in that town are gonna eat him alive with tickets...

malum 07-24-2008 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carskibum (Post 8276128)
the cop should 100 percent be able to park closest possible spot to the door if they are getting lunch. they dont have the luxury of having a designated lunch time to relax so if they get a call they need to move fast. Imagine there was home invasion where precious seconds matter or a car crash...

"Home invasions" are most likely to occur when noone is home. If you want to steal some ****, your not gonna do it when they are there. Car crash? Cops here won't even come out for them anymore unless someone is dead or dying.

Quote:

The person filing this complaint is retarted, the cops in that town are gonna eat him alive with tickets...
Yes they will. And you don't see a problem with an abuse of power like that?

Carskibum 07-24-2008 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malum (Post 8276139)
"Home invasions" are most likely to occur when noone is home. If you want to steal some ****, your not gonna do it when they are there. Car crash? Cops here won't even come out for them anymore unless someone is dead or dying.?

definiton of home invasion is when the resident is home.
http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/we...ome%20invasion

Officers are first response to traffic accidents and are often the only ones on the scene that know legitmate first aid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by malum (Post 8276139)
Yes they will. And you don't see a problem with an abuse of power like that.

yep it is. but for bringing such a silly complaint in my opinion her deserves it.

Carskibum 07-24-2008 10:40 AM

no offense jon but you can agree or disagree, personal shot are not needed.

Caveman 07-24-2008 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLVR JDM (Post 8276069)
I don't have a problem with it....it is one of the perks of the job I suppose.

Also, I've never noticed how upright the pedals are in the CGT. Looks potentially uncomfortable even, but I can't say as I'll ever have the chance to find out :(

yeah first I was like :eek: that fkcing stupido pedals. than I was like :confused: but their are things you have to get used to, I guest

braymond141 07-24-2008 10:51 AM

Might be better to see the situation in full. ie; where the officer parked and if it held up traffic over "take out".

What I really want to know is why police officers insist on leaving their cars running while sitting for 30mins drinking coffee at local spots. Every night here 3 sheriffs and 2 CHP (indv cars) pull up and for 15-45 mins they leave their cars running. I fail to see how 5 secs of starting the car is less efficient than shutting it off for the duration of dunking donuts.

Hobbes 07-24-2008 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malum (Post 8276109)
God forbid police are held accountable for their actions

Exactly.

They should not be allowed to park illegally unless it is an emergency.

Giving them such "perks" just adds to the idea that they ARE above the law and general citizenry.

jailonacs99 07-24-2008 11:36 AM

Sounds like a real good use of everyones time. The cops driving around for 15 minutes looking for a spot, finding one, then takin 10 or 15 minutes to walk to where they need to go. And the people who have nothing better to do but meander around writing faux parking tickets on their windshield. That really makes the world a better place.

You know what, I make a point, a POINT of parking in red zones, even if there are spaces open. Precisely because the parking situation in LA is so bad. I'm not gonna take up a legitimate parking space that somebody else needs when my car is the only one that can be left in a red zone. Invariably though, every once in a blue moon some idiot will try to raise a stink. Of course, they only do it with the police cars, never with the ambulances, fire, or any number of other government or state owned vehicles that use their exempt plates to park in red zones. Or even delivery trucks that park someplace with their hazards flashing. Oh, it's fine for somebody to park illegally if they're bringing numbnuts his mail-order-pen*s-enlarger, but not if they respond to his 911 for help.

Now, imagine if that jackass lawyer gets what he wants in his perfect world? ALL vehicles, exempt government vehicles included, MUST park in designated spaces/meters. Now those hundreds of thousands (in the city of LA ALONE) of cars are vying for the same parking spaces you are. Unless he can magically pull millions of square footage of parking real-estate out of his as*, then he's just creating more problems than he's solving. And again, I'm just talking about how this reflects on the already dire PARKING situation. I'm not even touching on how assinine it is from an emergency response and priorities perspective.

Lemonsqr 07-24-2008 11:45 AM

as much as I think cops abuse their power, I think it is legit for them to park in no parking or fire zones as long as they are parking in a safe no parking zone or fire zone and they are within visual contact with the car so if it needs to be moved, they can move it. If I had an emergency that required the cops, I would not want them wasting time running/walking to a far away parking spot.

Back2Basics 07-24-2008 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jailonacs99 (Post 8276483)
Sounds like a real good use of everyones time. The cops driving around for 15 minutes looking for a spot, finding one, then takin 10 or 15 minutes to walk to where they need to go. And the people who have nothing better to do but meander around writing faux parking tickets on their windshield. That really makes the world a better place.

You know what, I make a point, a POINT of parking in red zones, even if there are spaces open. Precisely because the parking situation in LA is so bad. I'm not gonna take up a legitimate parking space that somebody else needs when my car is the only one that can be left in a red zone. Invariably though, every once in a blue moon some idiot will try to raise a stink. Of course, they only do it with the police cars, never with the ambulances, fire, or any number of other government or state owned vehicles that use their exempt plates to park in red zones. Or even delivery trucks that park someplace with their hazards flashing. Oh, it's fine for somebody to park illegally if they're bringing numbnuts his mail-order-pen*s-enlarger, but not if they respond to his 911 for help.

Now, imagine if that jackass lawyer gets what he wants in his perfect world? ALL vehicles, exempt government vehicles included, MUST park in designated spaces/meters. Now those hundreds of thousands (in the city of LA ALONE) of cars are vying for the same parking spaces you are. Unless he can magically pull millions of square footage of parking real-estate out of his as*, then he's just creating more problems than he's solving. And again, I'm just talking about how this reflects on the already dire PARKING situation. I'm not even touching on how assinine it is from an emergency response and priorities perspective.

i agree with this guy.. everybodys real quick to hide behind cops/soldiers when bullets are flyin, then when things calm down and the real bad guys go away, cops/soldiers become the bad guys.. its such a joke