E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Parrot CK3100 & Steering Controls (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=595578)

parsonsmead 07-28-2008 05:51 PM

Parrot CK3100 & Steering Controls

I have a UK 330 Coupe sport (built 12/02) and wish to install a CK3100 kit. I also want to be able to use the buttons on the steering wheel.

Searches have not been definitve in the leads that I require to make the installation easy. My own research has yielded the following items will be required to complete the install, but I need confirmation. Can anyone confirm if these are the correct items please?

1 x CK3100 kit
1 x PC99-X21B steering harness adapter (Autoleads)
1 x SOT-060 (Autoleads)

parsonsmead 07-29-2008 05:57 AM

Bump

mit 07-29-2008 08:16 AM

Yeah I think this would work. If you do a google search you'll find a thread in the Parrot forums where someone got an adapter from a company in Italy for his Golf. This adapter will also work on a BMW.

Otherwise for other uk-specific stuff try www.e46zone.com :)

davejerome 07-29-2008 10:32 AM

Hi there,

The SOT-060 is for 17 Pin BMW headunits. I am very very very sure that yours is a 40 pin!!!!!

There are three types:

99-01 E46: 17 Pin
01-XX E46: 40 pin
05-XX E90: Quadlock

Personally I would do the following:

If you want to have a more OEM look you can get the Parrot CK3000 and the following: CTPPAR008

http://www.connects2.com/c2search.as...=204&modID=529

Then hide the parrot control unit out of the way (you only need it to pair).

I suggest you atleast check your connector before ordering.

davejerome 07-29-2008 03:57 PM

Whoops! Got my info a little wrong there. Check this thread for info on how many pins:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=8301422

parsonsmead 07-29-2008 05:58 PM

I definitely have the 17 pin round type connector. It is not 40 pin.

I prefer the functionality of the 3100 as opposed to the 3000 and unfortunately the connects 2 item is very expensive.

Thanks for your assistance so far but can anyone confirm the corret leads to purchase for an 12/02 E46 coupe to enable steering wheel functionality with a Parrot CK3100?

As a foot note where is the OEM microphone normally installed in a coupe with no sunroof? I want to adapt the Parrot microphone to fit in this location if possible?

Regards

P

ccfj1 07-30-2008 03:35 AM

There is a cheap connects II on pistonheads mate, http://************/5j4pv6 not sure if it works with the 3100 though.

The OEM location for the mic is on the flat part of the roof in front (or behind depending on your view) the light cluster, between the sun visors, this is where mine is (I know i have the roof, but its located in the same spot)

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...9072008039.jpg

if you want it to look OEM then get hold of the small black plastic cover and mod the mic to fit, here is the part number.

Microphone Cover; BMW p/n 51-44-8 250-108 2.38

HTH

parsonsmead 07-30-2008 03:54 AM

ccfj1 many thanks. I had a feeling the microphone was installed there. Unfortunately I have no obvious cutout there on mine so would mean cutting the lining. Don't fancy doing that. I have noticed another possible location and this is using the 'missing' grab handle screw covers right above the driver's door glass.

Did you cut your lining to get the microphone in or was there some blanking plate already there?

Thanks for the info about the connects 2. Unfortunately it does not answer my original question regarding 3100 unit.

mit 07-30-2008 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parsonsmead (Post 8304642)
ccfj1 many thanks. I had a feeling the microphone was installed there. Unfortunately I have no obvious cutout there on mine so would mean cutting the lining. Don't fancy doing that. I have noticed another possible location and this is using the 'missing' grab handle screw covers right above the driver's door glass.

Did you cut your lining to get the microphone in or was there some blanking plate already there?

Thanks for the info about the connects 2. Unfortunately it does not answer my original question regarding 3100 unit.

Mine is actually built into the interior light cluster, not mounted seperately (I have a convertible) - so check whether your light cluster has the mic slot there.

For the steering controls, the bottom line is you have a BMW. If you want full, clean integration then you will have to pay for it. The Audicom SW200C adapter will work with the 3100 (and also later MK6000 models) but the Connects2 lead won't. See www.audicom.it for more information on the audicom adapter.

This is the email I got from Connects2:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Connects2
The adapter we offer for the E46 3 Series allows you to use the steering wheel controls with a Parrot CK3000 Evolution Bluetooth kit.
The adapter allows you to answer, end, reject a call, last number redial, volume in call and voice dialling from the steering wheel. This will also mute the radio and put the audio through the car speakers.
The CK3000 Evolution does not support A2DP.

There are two adapters we offer depending upon which connection you have at the back of your head unit:

PPAR007: 17 way round pin
PPAR008: 40 way flat pin

Your nearest distributor can be found via the following link:
http://www.connects2.com/c2ukdealersrch.aspx

Regards

Connects2

You can buy the Audicom interface from a company called Incartec for 50 - www.incartec.co.uk - but you will have to email them as it's not listed on their website. If you want to go with Connects2 you will need to get a CK3000.

As far as I know, the Autoleads adapter will only do the volume controls. My bluetooth buttons are still useless on my car *but* on my car I got rid of the BMW head unit completely and have an alpine unit instead, so it might just be my setup.

Hope this helps :)

ccfj1 07-30-2008 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parsonsmead (Post 8304642)

Like you, when I did my BT retrofit I didn't fancy cutting the roof, (even the small sunroof panel) so I bought a new one from the dealer with the roof and mic holes all ready cut, much easier that way, it was cheap too.

Like mit says the some of the cabs have the mic in the roof lights (some on the steering wheel cowl), that may be worth a look.

I went OEM BT because I wanted as much compatibility and integration that I could get out of the phone system, I have nav as well and the VR works very well with both the phone and the Nav.

I did the retrofit myself and made the BT harness for a fraction of the cost of the OEM harness from the dealer, so the whole thing was approx 180 fitted and working, not that much difference than an AM phone kit (fitted).

Have you thought of going OEM?

davejerome 07-30-2008 07:57 AM

The autoleads cable will not allow any steering wheel interaction!

I had that exact cable on my old 3 series. Basically it is just a cable that converts BMW to din and back again. It does its job very well (saves you cutting lots of cable) but in order to control from the steering wheel you basically need a box that converts steering wheel to parrot control. Such as the connects2 or Audicom.

In my old car I had the Parrot CK3300 and the autoleads cable with nothing else. As for the oem look, well I didn't have it then but I put my microphone at the top of piller. Very subtle!

As far as I can tell the PC99-X21B steering harness adapter is used for people that want to replace their BMW stereo with something like a kenwood. Basically its a BMW > DIN cable.

mit 07-30-2008 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccfj1 (Post 8304723)
I went OEM BT because I wanted as much compatibility and integration that I could get out of the phone system, I have nav as well and the VR works very well with both the phone and the Nav.

I did the retrofit myself and made the BT harness for a fraction of the cost of the OEM harness from the dealer, so the whole thing was approx 180 fitted and working, not that much difference than an AM phone kit (fitted).

Have you thought of going OEM?

I soooooo wanted to do OEM BT, but *everyone* who sells a retrofit said it wasn't possible on my 2000 model year car without doing Navigation retrofit as well. There was apparently one company who made a kit about 3 years ago who no longer make/sell it :/

So I went for the Alpine Vehicle hub solution. Biggest disappointment ever. Sure the sound quality of my music is now better than OEM, but the screen looks like a Commodore 64 and the bluetooth is nowhere near as good as OEM, and I still have no steering controls! It's also incredibly fiddly to use (4 screen presses to change radio station, about 5 presses before I can dial a phone number for example).

Roll on my new Kenwood double-din unit with Garmin sat-nav and Parrot bluetooth built in. Apparently Audicom will have a steering interface (volume and phone) for it at the end of August, so I'll be getting that as soon as it's available :)

parsonsmead 09-23-2008 11:59 AM

Fitted the Parrot CK3100 kit and its excellent. For the steering controls I used a Parrot Multican unit specifically for the 3100. Noticed on the spec that other than the CAN hi/low connections it had a K Bus connection as well. This did not appear to be advertised by Parrot even when I spoke to them.

Bit the bullet and bought one. Hooked it up and now the steering wheel telephone button works fine as does the volume control. Doesn't do everything the manual states and this is why they probably do no suggest it as a fitment.

But I can redial last number, end a call, start voice activation and control the volume. More than enough for 50 and an easy install.

So if you are content with some basic functions then go for the multican.

Please note R/T still has no function with this set up.

P

Scottfreee3 01-08-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parsonsmead (Post 8573277)
Fitted the Parrot CK3100 kit and its excellent. For the steering controls I used a Parrot Multican unit specifically for the 3100. Noticed on the spec that other than the CAN hi/low connections it had a K Bus connection as well. This did not appear to be advertised by Parrot even when I spoke to them.

Bit the bullet and bought one. Hooked it up and now the steering wheel telephone button works fine as does the volume control. Doesn't do everything the manual states and this is why they probably do no suggest it as a fitment.

But I can redial last number, end a call, start voice activation and control the volume. More than enough for 50 and an easy install.

So if you are content with some basic functions then go for the multican.

Please note R/T still has no function with this set up.

P

I know this is an old thread, but im stuck....

I have the CK3100 and the MultiCan.

So all I need is the SOT-060 and Im away?

I have the business CD head unit and Harmon Kardon speakers.

Do I need anything else such as the "10-400 adapter for Harmon Kardon" as I dont think there is an AMP in my car (The radio and CD changer is in the boot, are they referring to this unit as the AMP or do they mean a sub woofer?)