E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Polls & Surveys - Please Participate! (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Should I buy an e30? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=595692)

NightWolfe 07-29-2008 04:15 AM

Should I buy an e30?
 
I've just recently got it in my head that I really want an e30 .. for a toy and a partial DD .. howver .. I've never driven one .. the oldest BMWs I've driven were my old 94 325is (auto) and a 95 318is (auto) ...

Now I don't expect it to drive like my e46 .. but would the ride/power be similar to the 318is? I would be getting a manual this time around .. having a car that old with alot of miles on an auto tranny just scares me ...

I want one .. but I've never sat in one .. but of course .. it is a BMW .. I suppose I really need to go drive one to be sure, but I'm curious what you guys think ...

Did all the e30s come with a LSD btw?

coco savage 08-11-2008 12:49 PM

You will really enjoy the amazing raw driving dynamics of the e30. Thats what makes them amazingly awesome to own/drive/etc. Only way to get the 318is is because its one of the newer e30's and its in OUTSTANDING condition! You want to get the 325 pref the is......The IS/sport packaged ones are the ones that came with the LSD.

Since the car is older you will need to recondition/replace/redo/adjust/etc things on it. This is to be expected since the cars are aging. M20's found on 325's are pretty solid motors and really shouldnt give you problems. But there are other things to watch out for while owning an e30. Before buying find out about water pump, timing belt right away. If a/c is important check if thats been changed to r134. Obviously you will check over many other things as well but those are the main ones to check right away.

Overall you should love driving the e30, but you have to make sure you are ready to use the good ol "elbow grease" to properly maintain the car when things wear out or go wrong.

Hope this helps good luck on your endeavorer

328iBMW 08-11-2008 04:17 PM

Do you have a garage with tools and enjoy turning wrenches?

Sam 330ci 08-12-2008 01:47 AM

I was in your same position.

Stumbled across a great example, scooped it up and have never been happier.

My E46 sits, My E30 hits teh streets, and my GOD is it fun to drive. 10X the driver's car the E46 is, this thing is literally like a little rally car. I can only imagine one with mods (suspension/engine etc.) must be like.

I can't recommend it highly enough. If you can fix the thing yourself, they're cheap too. (I replaced 4 pads and rotors on Saturday afternoon in about 2-3 hours at a total cost of $170 :yikes:)

Doooooooo Ittttttttt

box325 08-12-2008 10:52 AM

Having owned 4 before getting my e46.. I got 2words for ya...

GET ONE!:thumbsup:

2000_328CI 08-12-2008 11:02 AM

wish i had the cash to own one :(

Sam 330ci 08-12-2008 11:05 AM

They're cheap.

if you haev the cash to mod, then you have hte cash to e30 :dunno:

Anub!s 08-12-2008 11:10 AM

finding one is a bish. been looking in socal for a while now.

Sam 330ci 08-12-2008 11:28 AM

BMW made and sold a TON of E30s, they should be easy to find, just a matter of finding one that isn't beat:eek:

2000_328CI 08-12-2008 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam 325i (Post 8368143)
BMW made and sold a TON of E30s, they should be easy to find, just a matter of finding one that isn't beat:eek:

most of the nice ones are super expensive... in our area, there isn't a single one for sale with under 100k miles selling for less than 16k

Sam 330ci 08-12-2008 11:37 AM

^M3s or non-Ms?

if it's non-M's you're talking about I'd be shocked, the M3's go for about $15k around here, only a few around though, and they seem to sit on Cragslist for a longggg time looking for buyers.

It is only $500 to ship a car cross country, so looking around might not hurt, but then again you'd be paying 1/5-1/6 the price of the car just to transport it . . .

coco savage 08-12-2008 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000_328CI (Post 8368150)
most of the nice ones are super expensive... in our area, there isn't a single one for sale with under 100k miles selling for less than 16k

you must be talking M's or swapped e30's because NO stock e30 is worth that price.

and 100k is GOOD mileage for a e30....remember the car is over 20yrs old

2000_328CI 08-12-2008 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coco savage (Post 8368209)
you must be talking M's or swapped e30's because NO stock e30 is worth that price.

and 100k is GOOD mileage for a e30....remember the car is over 20yrs old

that's a good point and yeah i was referring to the m's

coco savage 08-12-2008 11:50 AM

look a bit harder and you should be able to find a good running example of an e30

howie 08-12-2008 11:51 AM

nope, and I like pie

bmauro 08-12-2008 02:09 PM

I'm in the same boat - looking for a e30 for partly DD but mostly for auto-x.

What should I avoid in my search? How bad can rust be before passing on one? How many miles is too many??

I know that everyone says that the e30 has a good bulletproof motor - but how many miles is too many? I've seen many with 200+ even one that had 300+.

coco savage 08-12-2008 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmauro (Post 8368824)
I'm in the same boat - looking for a e30 for partly DD but mostly for auto-x.

What should I avoid in my search? How bad can rust be before passing on one? How many miles is too many??

I know that everyone says that the e30 has a good bulletprood motor - but how many miles is too many? I've seen many with 200+ even one that had 300+.

"miles too many" is based on your preference..how many do you think is too many

jeffro3000 08-12-2008 02:27 PM

i owned one before my e46. you NEED to get an e30. it'll show you what BMWs are supposed to be like.

How much money you wanting to spend on it initially?

bmauro 08-12-2008 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coco savage (Post 8368834)
"miles too many" is based on your preference..how many do you think is too many

I'm not too sure.... I'm expecting to do "normal" maintenence right away. T-stat, t-belt, water pump, belts, plugs, and probably suspension.

But how many miles can you get outta the motor and tranny before things need to be rebuilt? I'm trying to get a guesstament on what I should set aside for this little project.

I would hate to set aside XXXX for the car and parts only to find out I need XXXX + 1500 for a rebuild.

coco savage 08-12-2008 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmauro (Post 8369001)
I'm not too sure.... I'm expecting to do "normal" maintenence right away. T-stat, t-belt, water pump, belts, plugs, and probably suspension.

But how many miles can you get outta the motor and tranny before things need to be rebuilt? I'm trying to get a guesstament on what I should set aside for this little project.

I would hate to set aside XXXX for the car and parts only to find out I need XXXX + 1500 for a rebuild.

well if you have seen ones with 300k still running?

do you want to buy a car with 300k? If the answer is no then thats too many miles and go down from there


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use