E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Accident, Air Bag deployed, car won't start (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=597376)

dheafey 08-04-2008 01:57 PM

Accident, Air Bag deployed, car won't start

Gang,

apologies for the cryptic title; I'm trying to make sure it gets picked up in searches for future reference.

I was in a somewhat nasty accident with my '03 330i. It's a bit hard to describe, but I was on a 2 lane 1 way street making a left-hand turn into a driveway when I was hit from behind. The driver of the second car hit me broadside on the driver's side denting both doors and the rear quarter. The car spun 90 degrees counter-clockwise and came to rest after the right rear tire hit the curb. Both rear tires were severely bent in, damaging the axles and rims.

Both the driver's side airbag and curtain deployed. After almost 3 months in the shop (my autobody guy is very meticulous, but I'm losing my mind!!), it's almost ready. The issue is he can't seem to get it started. The airbag circuit is not connected and both of us think that may be the culprit. It would seem to make sense as a safety feature; you wouldn't want someone driving the car around without properly functioning airbags. However, I thought I'd ask here: does my model BMW have an ignition shutoff "feature" when the airbag circuit is disconnected?

ModBargains 08-04-2008 02:04 PM

Jeez, sorry to hear that. I hope no one got hurt. From what I remember there is no shut off feature. Has he checked all fuses and relays?

davidwarren 08-04-2008 02:04 PM

there is a charge on the positive terminal of the battery that goes off and disconnects the battery when the airbags are deployed.

justanotherokie 08-04-2008 02:08 PM

Check the trunk for a Green pull wire. It shuts off fuel flow. You need to reset it. (By the battery)

davidwarren 08-04-2008 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justanotherokie (Post 8329636)
Check the trunk for a Green pull wire. It shuts off fuel flow. You need to reset it. (By the battery)

are you sure that's not the manual release for the fuel door?

iceberq 08-04-2008 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidwarren (Post 8329619)
there is a charge on the positive terminal of the battery that goes off and disconnects the battery when the airbags are deployed.

sounds like it but my body shop told me that straight up. it's hard to believe his body shop wouldn't know that already? :eek:

rosario.luis 08-04-2008 02:32 PM

The green cord is the manual release for the fuel door. I had that problem when once when my airbags got deployed but a hole on the street. There is this wire that gets damanged when the computer detects a crash. This cable is quite expensive and comes from the battery in the trunk to the fron of the car. Check that cable out that might be the problem

JK1150 08-04-2008 03:29 PM

i have an 04 but i remember reading that the battery is disconnected in the event of a crash...

davidwarren 08-04-2008 03:37 PM

I think this is what you need:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...03&hg=61&fg=10

dheafey 08-05-2008 12:00 PM

All,

thanks very much for your replies and info. I've taken the posts to my autobody guy and will post the final solution.

dheafey 08-12-2008 11:32 AM

Latest update: I had my bodyshop guy call Turner Motorsport in Amesbury, MA. They knew exactly what the issue was, so once I get it back, I'll document it in this thread. I'm lucky enough to live 30 miles from Turner or, not so lucky depending on your viewpoint. Living that close could cost me a fortune.

dheafey 08-15-2008 02:12 PM

Positive cable to starter/alternator

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidwarren (Post 8329619)

This is, indeed, what happened. The interesting thing is it disconnects the positive terminal from the starter/alternator and not the rest of the car; when I turned the key, everything in the interior worked (lights, radio, etc...), but the car wouldn't turnover. Once the wire was replaced buy Turner, all is well. Thanks to all for your advice and information. :thumbsup:

chu77 09-30-2008 12:32 AM

Can you just repair the "fuse" inside the cable instead?

BodyMan 09-30-2008 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chu77 (Post 8607365)
Can you just repair the "fuse" inside the cable instead?

NO you cannot. Its not a fuse. Its a pyro charge just like an airbag.
When your airbag is deployed, your positive battery terminal is cut, shutting down the engine, unlocking your doors, turning on your interior lights on, and turning your flashers. And it also sets off your seat belt pre-tensioners. A lot happens in a accident.

You need the part in post #9

easyman 09-30-2008 09:14 AM

I just jump started my car after my crash to move it around the body shop. Nothing else need in my case.

easyman 09-30-2008 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BodyMan (Post 8607563)
When your airbag is deployed, your positive battery terminal is cut, shutting down the engine, unlocking your doors, turning on your interior lights on, and turning your flashers. And it also sets off your seat belt pre-tensioners. A lot happens in a accident.

You need the part in post #9

none of that happened to me, atleast not that i can remember. But only my side airbags blew.

chu77 10-11-2008 09:28 AM

Does the whole cable needs to be replaced? Or just the part connecting to the battery? I bought one from ebay and they just gave me the black box on the terminal.

howie 10-11-2008 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BodyMan (Post 8607563)

I didn't know that...good info!

chu77 10-16-2008 08:55 AM

Did you guys also know that the airbag comp cuts off the fuel too if the airbags were to deploy

jbeurotech 10-16-2008 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chu77 (Post 8698253)
Did you guys also know that the airbag comp cuts off the fuel too if the airbags were to deploy

Yes briefly then fuel is restored the next key cyle.