E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Hissing from near brake booster>>>WTF? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=597471)

Chad44 08-04-2008 08:00 PM

Hissing from near brake booster>>>WTF?

My fiance's car started hissing today near the brake booster. Maybe it has always done it, but I really don't think so, I very acutely listen to the noises cars make... So I was in a rush and haven't had time to look at it, but am flying out of town tomorrow afternoon... anyone had this problem? Sounded like a vacuum leak to me.

It makes the noise at all RPM's, but doesn't change much in tone or loudness- then upon pressing the brakes it hushes or goes away completely. It is rather loud in the cabin(at first i thought it was a vent obstruction)

jinthekoreankid 08-08-2008 06:57 AM

check your Vacuum hose. it might be loose

Chad44 08-10-2008 07:06 PM

Well, just got back in town on friday and wanted to check it out. Unfortunately, Southwest airlines lost my whole traveling tool box with all my hand tools in it. I just got it back about an hour ago so I am finally ready to dig in. I thought it sounded like a vacuum sound, but I am not quite familiar with the whole car yet. Where is the vacuum hose youre referring to? I felt around and listened in the little area where the booster is located, but it sounded nearly as loud out there as it does inside the cab near the vent. I was on the roadside without a flashlight or tools so I couldn't indulge my urge to fix it at the time... So, my question is- this vacuum tube you are referring to, is it inside the cab under the dash or under the hood?

Chad44 08-10-2008 07:28 PM

Alright so heres what i found after a quick look... I put my head under the dash and the sound is VERY pronounced from seemingly directly under the gas pedal. I put my ear in the engine bay and the sound sounds loudest either near the bottom of the cubby hole the brake stuff sits inside or from the slot between that area and the engine... I do not have a jack here and not really able to get underneath the car tonight. I plan to check it out tomorrow night after I return from Miami or Tuesday depending on my schedule... Any insight or thoughts before then would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks.

SouthernHero 08-13-2008 11:19 AM

I'm having this same exact problem. I'm thinking brake booster and/or vacuum hose. I'm interested to see what it is and how you fix it...

Chad44 08-18-2008 07:08 PM

do you by chance also have a wet floor on the passenger side? I need to find some time to get into this thing, but it is so hard as she does sales on the road- and she sure as hell isn't taking my pickup truck out for a couple days while i tear it apart...

I would doubt it is a related problem, but you never know. The water i figure must be coming from the ac system as it gets wet without rain.

zeshon 08-18-2008 08:20 PM

I'm dumb

SouthernHero 08-18-2008 09:28 PM

I'm not getting any water in connection with this in my car. The hissing is still bothering me though.

Chad44 08-19-2008 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeshon (Post 8399622)
I'm dumb

heh? que?