E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   2000 323i electrical bug (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=599928)

andrew_nz 08-13-2008 07:37 PM

2000 323i electrical bug

I've been having a strange electrical problem with my 2000 323i since I bought it a few years ago. I checked on this forum back then and found a few posts with the same symptoms, but nobody ever solved the problem. I've just gotten used to the problem now, and it isn't that big of a deal really, but now I want to sell the car before I move, and I'd like to have it fixed. I think somebody might be weary of buying a car with start up problems, even if they are minor. If anybody knows what's wrong or can point me to an old thread about it that would be great.

Here's the symptoms:

When I turn the key, sometimes the start up dash light routine won't come on, only the seat belt light. When that happens, if I try to start the car, the engine will crank and crank but won't start up. All the other electronics (radio, headlights, windows, seats, ac) work great, just the car cranks and won't start if that dash light routine doesn't come up.

Then if I turn the key a couple more times until the lights come on, the car will start right up no problem at all. It's not the key, I bought a new one and both do the same thing. Mostly it's just annoying because I have to turn the key so many times to get the start up routine to come up.

Then, just a few months ago it started doing some other strange things. Sometimes, the car will start up great and then a couple seconds later will just die. When I restart it, it starts up and runs no problem.

Also, twice while I've been driving around town, the car died suddenly, all the dash lights went off, and then it just came back on. That one is a little scary I can tell you.

I figure it might be something with key security system that isn't recognizing the key, but I'd like to know what you guys think. I haven't had it in to a dealer to read the codes, because the previous threads with the same symptoms said the dealer couldn't figure out what was wrong and they spent a bunch of money for nothing. If you guys have any ideas I'd be tickled to hear them.

Cheers,
Andrew

MSumners 08-24-2008 12:14 AM

Same problem. Any progress on this?

andrew_nz 08-27-2008 12:31 PM

Nothing yet, sure wish I knew what was going on though. Best I can tell it's a short or something in the key security system. If I figure it out I'll let you know.

Andrew

Latinbear4 12-03-2008 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew_nz (Post 8443836)
Nothing yet, sure wish I knew what was going on though. Best I can tell it's a short or something in the key security system. If I figure it out I'll let you know.

Andrew

Hello.. I am having similar issues with my 2000 323i. It is so irritating. My issues is as fallows. Sometimes the dash lights wont come up except for the seatbelt light which stays on even is i click the seatbelt. Non my steering wheel controls work and the radio doesnt turn on. Thank god the engine always cranks. I have a feeling it can be the electronics that run under ACC1( one turn of the key) but i have not had anyone else mention anything to confirm it. Then while i am driving whenever it feels like it seatbelt light will go off airbag light will come on for a sec then off. and then radio will turn on. If you got a fix for this please let me know. Thanks!

whoami 12-03-2008 09:34 PM

hmm, never had any of the symptoms stated..

i duno

Eliott's-BMW 12-03-2008 10:29 PM

Is not a bad ignition switch? Sounds like it to me...

revell112 12-16-2008 01:19 AM

Any updates on this... I think I might have the same problem with my 00' 323i

Bmw440 12-16-2008 07:42 AM

From what i have been reading, it could be a bad ignition switch. or the tumbler on the ignition switch, it supply voltage to all the electrical components.

pyro225 12-16-2008 08:46 AM

I had a similar issue in my 328ci and it was the ews causing it not to start - i ended up buying a new ecu ews and key set now its fine

Latinbear4 12-17-2008 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revell112 (Post 9074859)
Any updates on this... I think I might have the same problem with my 00' 323i

I think I found the problem I was having. Make sure that the connection (red wire) to your alternator has not gotten loose due to engine vibration. Make sure you are getting good contact between alternator and red wire. The easiest way to get access to the wire is by removing the air filter cabin. very simple.. Also check that your rear plate bulbs are working fine...let me know if this stopped the problem for you as well. Good luck.

mechanic_101 12-17-2008 11:01 PM

your problem sounds like ignition switch. Get a used one on ebay and try it out.

methemandus 12-20-2008 12:28 PM

any update on this i got same prob:banghead:

Latinbear4 12-20-2008 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by methemandus (Post 9100952)
any update on this i got same prob:banghead:

I think I found the problem I was having. Make sure that the connection (red wire) to your alternator has not gotten loose due to engine vibration. Make sure you are getting good contact between alternator and red wire. The easiest way to get access to the wire is by removing the air filter cabin. very simple.. Also check that your rear plate bulbs are working fine...let me know if this stopped the problem for you as well. Good luck.

kbracken 12-21-2008 01:31 PM

I had a similar issue a few months back but instead of it happenin periodically it just happend out of nowhere. I had driven to work one morning and when I left to go to lunch, nothin. Everything turned on like you guys are sayin but it would not crank at all. I called the dealership and they told me that my key had gone bad so I ordered a new key ($185 my cost). That was on a Wednesday and they told me that if I ordered the key that day before 2:00pm that I would have it Friday so we pushed my car into the shop at work and there it sat. Friday came and they said that the key didn't show up and that it would be Monday before I would get my new key so I got frustrated and took my key apart. Well my key didn't go bad but the chip inside had moved too far back (away from the key cylinder). I had adjusted the chip and moved it closer to the key cylinder inside the key and put the key back together and it started right up. I have never had another problem with that key again, now I just have two keys that work. Don't know if that is the same thing with your guys issues but I thought I'ld let you know what my issue was and see if maybe it helps you out. Hope it helps.

methemandus 12-21-2008 04:38 PM

:cry:cant be the key same with all three:censor:

Phantom_Tulaba 05-19-2010 03:53 PM

So did this turn out to be alternator related with the loose wire? Also, what did the rear plate lights come into play with this? lol...

methemandus 11-22-2010 03:21 PM

fixed it

all sorted ignition switch after all 2 min job no more problems