E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Factory Alarm install (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=6010)

core 05-14-2002 01:06 PM

Factory Alarm install

I just received the factory alarm from circle BMW.. cost me $225..
and I just called up my bmw service department to find out how much it would cost to have it installled.. they said that it would be a minimum of 2 hours labor charge .. $98/hour.. is this true ?? cmon 2 hours for a pre-wired alarm ??

E46FSU 05-14-2002 01:08 PM

my dealer quoted me 179 to install it, alot of people on this board has been doin it themselves, they said it takes about 1 hour and is simple, there is a diy floating around here so do a search and i'll pop up. Whichever way you chose to do it, you still have to take it to the dealer ot activate it which is ~ 50 bucks if u choose to install it yourself

vinnymac 05-14-2002 01:15 PM

I installed mine in about an hour...

it's really simple.

Get the DIY file from www.bmw330ci.com.

obLu 05-14-2002 01:47 PM

So simple my pet chimp did it for me.

The absolute hardest part is behind the air filter there's a fiberglass piece that sits in front of the firewall. Getting it out isn't very difficult, getting it back in requires some patience. Mine fit really tight and it was one of those things that it wouldn't go in no matter what. Magically it just popped right in when I tried it for the tenth time.

Also have good lighting, connecting the siren wires requires a little reaching back into a cavity that's a bit of a stretch and hard to see if it's dark.

Don't want to dissuade you, just some helpful tips. It really was *extremely* simple and there's no way that anybody could possibly take two hours to complete it.

Be aware, to activate it you still have to take it to the dealer and they'll charge you 30min ($50) to do it. If they want to charge more go to another one.

core 05-14-2002 01:53 PM

these dealers are a bunch of vampires.. :flipoff:

mickey513 05-14-2002 02:20 PM

All dealerships are vampires that want to suck your money.

328iGuy 05-14-2002 02:39 PM

I am located in Canada (Ottawa) and I was quoted by my two local dealerships here $580 CDN taxes included installed, this includes both the alarm AND installation in Canadian funds.

How does that compare to you're pricing?

core 05-14-2002 03:39 PM

thats a good deal.. mine would probably be $425USD

328iGuy 05-14-2002 03:41 PM

With today's exchange rate that would be $662 CDN.

I think I am going to get my alarm installed next week!

blue_bimma 05-14-2002 03:44 PM

Have alarm for sale

I bought this from Pacific BMW for $247.50 including shipping.

I opened the box, but I NEVER installed it. BRAND NEW Got it last friday. I'm going to get a aftermarket alarm installed.

I'll let it go for $225 shipped.

you save money from shipping if you order from Circlebmw or pacificbmw

please leave e-mail if interested

thanks!

jason330i 05-14-2002 04:01 PM

Re: Factory Alarm install

Quote:

Originally posted by ac325ci
I just received the factory alarm from circle BMW.. cost me $225..
and I just called up my bmw service department to find out how much it would cost to have it installled.. they said that it would be a minimum of 2 hours labor charge .. $98/hour.. is this true ?? cmon 2 hours for a pre-wired alarm ??

sounds too high, should be around a 100 bucks.
try another dealer.

sandtrap 05-14-2002 09:09 PM

If you've got a little time, you should install it yourself. It's quite doable.

I just did mine this morning. Follow the directions on www.bmw330ci.com.

One piece of equipment you'll need to buy is a 30 torx driver...a whole torx driver set only costs $4 at home depot. And you'll need your usual toolbox stuff (rachet set, etc...)

1) Doing the tilt sensor and the motion sensor were super easy. Seriously.

2) Installing the siren took a little doing. Wait till your engine is cool because you'll be leaning right over it during the install. Oblu is right: the hard part was getting the last plastic piece out (the one right before the firewall) and getting that piece back in. Just remember how it fits before you pull it out...it'll help when you're putting it all together. Other thing to mention is that your ratchet set needs to have an extender to reach the nut you tighten to attach the siren.

Other than that...nothing to it.