E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Home Improvement (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Just bought some Monoprice HDMI's... (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=602308)

trippinbillies4 08-22-2008 04:24 PM

Just bought some Monoprice HDMI's...
 
Having left the AV industry, I didn't have access to Monster Cables or straight wire at cost anymore, and I needed a couple long HDMI cables to run from my cable box and dvd changer to my bedroom TV. I needed two 15' hdmi's, so I said screw it, I'll go cheap and do monoprice. Spent $15 after shipping on two 15' cables. Ran them through the wall to the other side and into the TV, fired it up...

:puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke:

Seriously, anyone who says that monoprice cables are just as good as better brands are completely full of poo. I borrowed a 15' monster hdmi from my buddy just to make sure it wasn't the cable box's output or the input on the LG plasma I bought... the monster cable was night and day better. I'm not just talking a small "oh dave is ISF certified, only he's going to know the difference" difference. I'm pretty sure a blind guy would have been appalled at the difference. Motion broke up so bad I could barely stand to watch women's volleyball on that tv. Blooming was so terrible that commentators foreheads looked monotone. These cables are a joke. You DEFINITELY get what you pay for.

tblue3cibm 08-22-2008 04:34 PM

your sig is hilarious :rofl:

GlockMan 08-22-2008 07:22 PM

You left the industry? WTH?

I still expect you to back me up when I have to argue HT on here.

:hi:

trippinbillies4 08-23-2008 08:45 AM

haha yeah, I might be back in it soon. :)

'busa 09-29-2008 02:46 PM

I know what you mean, but most reviews I read never had any issues and I have a cable box and a PS3 hooked up over monoprice HDMI and it's just fine. :dunno:

Amoeba 10-30-2008 07:45 PM

That's pretty absurd for monprice to do that. Heard nothing but good stuff about them.

Monotone? Blooming? These would not happen on a digital signal. Were you comparing the HDMI to say component? The digital signal would cause lost frames but no color representation differences.

HardTech 11-03-2008 12:32 AM

Odd, ive heard from a lot of people that sell monster that its just over priced junk. They buy it because at cost its $5, but said if they left the job they where at, they would never buy monster and go with the better cables at monoprice.

Again odd... I have heard more bad things about monster than mono, but the price is cheap and maybe that's the reason.

So without me having any monster cable, or monoprice cable I cant comment on whats better. Ive just always been told monster cable is ok, but it for people who buy something solely based on name alone and not quality. Bose comes to mind as well for the same thing. Hope ya get it sorted out.

GlockMan 11-03-2008 06:33 AM

Monster Cable is not junk. Period. Whether something is overpriced or not is an opinion.

We use Monster Cable as well as Tributaries and AudioQuest. All good stuff and all more than generic or cheap brand cables.

AChan10 11-03-2008 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glockman9c (Post 8811706)
Monster Cable is not junk. Period. Whether something is overpriced or not is an opinion.

We use Monster Cable as well as Tributaries and AudioQuest. All good stuff and all more than generic or cheap brand cables.

Tributaries and Audioqest FTW! :-)

GlockMan 11-03-2008 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AChan10 (Post 8812164)
Tributaries and Audioqest FTW! :-)

Yea, Tributaries Headquarters is right down the street.

:thumbsup:

imolazhp_ci 11-03-2008 10:41 AM

maybe you got bad cables. PC world did a test and said the monoprice were exactly the same, if not better in some tests. i've compared both too. i can't tell the difference, both looked great, one simply cost me 65 bucks less. monster has good speaker wire. that's it. any of their digital cables are no different than any other digital cable with equal specs.

mimalmo 11-03-2008 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imolazhp_ci (Post 8812324)
maybe you got bad cables. PC world did a test and said the monoprice were exactly the same, if not better in some tests. i've compared both too. i can't tell the difference, both looked great, one simply cost me 65 bucks less. monster has good speaker wire. that's it. any of their digital cables are no different than any other digital cable with equal specs.

Link to PC World test please.

imolazhp_ci 11-03-2008 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mimalmo (Post 8812434)
Link to PC World test please.

you have the internet. use it. google "PC WORLD MONOPRICE"

GlockMan 11-03-2008 04:17 PM

whatever. :rofl:

mimalmo 11-03-2008 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imolazhp_ci (Post 8812481)
you have the internet. use it. google "PC WORLD MONOPRICE"

No, you made a claim and I politely asked for the link. I'm calling BS until you can bring forth this article.

I did go to PC World's website and entered Monoprice into their search toolbar and guess how many articles came up? NONE!

http://www.pcworld.com/search?qt=monoprice

Amoeba 11-03-2008 09:25 PM

I think he's referring to this pcworld article:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/12177...able_game.html

I don't know about you, but I tend to trust people's opinion on avsforum.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=628385

mimalmo 11-03-2008 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amoeba (Post 8816224)
I think he's referring to this pcworld article:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/12177...able_game.html

I don't know about you, but I tend to trust people's opinion on avsforum.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=628385

That first article says it's from 2005. Alot has changed in the CE world in the last 3 years - mainly 1080p with 10 bit color.

avsforum is a great community - not unlike E46Fanatics. Problem is, just like we have some poor information here, so do they. None of the people posting in that thread are able to make a definitive judgement because they lack proper testing methods and proper test equipment.

Thanks though. Your response was more qualified than the first reply I got.

Dreamliner330 11-03-2008 10:24 PM

HDMI is Digital

I used to sell Monster Cable, and you know what, for analog, they are better...for digital...same same. It either works or it doesn't.

/Thread

davidwarren 11-03-2008 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mimalmo (Post 8816620)
That first article says it's from 2005. Alot has changed in the CE world in the last 3 years - mainly 1080p with 10 bit color.

avsforum is a great community - not unlike E46Fanatics. Problem is, just like we have some poor information here, so do they. None of the people posting in that thread are able to make a definitive judgement because they lack proper testing methods and proper test equipment.

Thanks though. Your response was more qualified than the first reply I got.

wouldn't that kinda show the difference is minimal?

mimalmo 11-03-2008 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamliner330 (Post 8816643)
HDMI is Digital It either works or it doesn't.

Not true. Ever see a satellite TV signal breakup but continue to make an image? How about an HDTV signal with stairstep effects? Iv'e personally seen HDMI cables that pass 1080i with zero issues but when fed 1080p introduce blue flecks into the video image. I'm not talking about a subtle effect of blue flecks either. A two year old standing 8 feet away can see this.

Just because it's digital does not mean that it's like an on/off switch of "it works or it doesn't" Digital can "kinda work" too. The TV will try to interperate what the weak signal is supposed to look like and deliver an image full of artifacts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidwarren (Post 8816649)
wouldn't that kinda show the difference is minimal?

What I said was that their equipment and testing methods didn't allow them to make a definitive judgement of whether the Monoprice cables could work for everyone. The posters on avsforum can only verify that it works for them on their systems.

What about me with a 1080p/10 bit color output capable PS3 and a 35 foot run?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use