E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Engine Modification (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=603451)

Bguinee 08-27-2008 08:23 AM

Engine Modification
 
Does anyone know if the enigine in the 323i can be bored out and bigger pistons & rods can be installed? If so, is there a company that sells a kit?

ridin325 08-27-2008 11:25 AM

Yes every engine that is made can be bored and stroked out.

Chris-TK 08-28-2008 05:50 PM

Yeah it can be, but it's not worth the money.

Activ3 08-29-2008 01:17 AM

The crank/rods/pistons from a M54B30 can be used to stroke to a 3.0L.

tinkwithanr 08-29-2008 04:01 PM

^^ seriously, what else would need to be done along with that. ecu tuning etc im guessing....

Rayce185 08-29-2008 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinkwithanr (Post 8456478)
^^ seriously, what else would need to be done along with that. ecu tuning etc im guessing....

Schrick cams, Intake, Headers.

IMO that would cover up the ideal NA engine modification, along with 3.0L stroke and ECU.

shady3one3 08-29-2008 05:03 PM

If you have a street car, don't bother.

Rayce185 08-29-2008 05:09 PM

:hmm:

shady3one3 08-29-2008 05:21 PM

There's no point in opening up a 323 motor if its in a street car. You cant make appreciable power gains without doing the kind of modding that ruins streetability, reliability, and practicality. If you just want 330 power, its cheaper and easier to swap an m54b30.

simsima325 08-30-2008 10:26 AM

^ werd, check out some prices on 3.0 motors, and THEN decide if you feel like opening your motor up.

dpgrand 08-31-2008 07:09 PM

your best bet is probably finding the internals from a 330 engine (crankshaft, con rods, pistons)

shady3one3 08-31-2008 07:55 PM

its cheaper to drop in the whole motor in most cases

Sev21 10-02-2008 08:36 PM

wouldit be a good idea to get a 330 motor and manual trans? what prices would i be looking at rounded out?

Chris-TK 10-02-2008 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sev21 (Post 8624490)
wouldit be a good idea to get a 330 motor and manual trans? what prices would i be looking at rounded out?

Probably around 3-5k.

NOVAbimmer 10-09-2008 04:50 PM

I'll sell You a manual trans if You want it

NOVAbimmer 10-09-2008 07:45 PM

You can also talk to Hamann about their stroker kit. I'll give You a guess as to their prices.

Here's a hint...whatever You're thinking, You're probably guessing low

mechanicalmadness 10-10-2008 04:14 AM

Anything you do and buy that's BMW specific will probably be really, REALLY overpriced. NO I mean really overpriced.

Your better off finding a bigger motor. As for force induction on a 323 motor, simply forget it. Anything without a forged crank will pop in no time flat.

If anything do what i plan on doing. Find a bigger motor.

Rayce185 10-10-2008 04:31 AM

I'm wondering why it would be cheaper to change the entire engine instead of just the internals.

The swap would require a new transmission, drive by wire, and probably to complete electronics, not just the software. Plus the entire swap is pricey as hell.
If you go with the internals, I would only guess that modified software would be needed. And the install should be cheaper than a swap. I'm just guessing here.

Headers and pulleys are no-brainers, and cams can be installed by any halfway competent shop with the right tools.

Only thing I imagine to be really pricey, is if the ECU needs custom software tuning. Other than that, I can't imagine an internal swap to be physically or financially more complicated than a complete engine/tranny/electronic swap. As said I have no experience with this stuff, and only know as much as I read on forums... :dunno:

It may be cheaper to just FI the engine, or change the car for a 330ci/i.

Activ3 10-10-2008 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racing.Ray (Post 8664972)
I'm wondering why it would be cheaper to change the entire engine instead of just the internals.

The swap would require a new transmission, drive by wire, and probably to complete electronics, not just the software. Plus the entire swap is pricey as hell.
If you go with the internals, I would only guess that modified software would be needed. And the install should be cheaper than a swap. I'm just guessing here.

Headers and pulleys are no-brainers, and cams can be installed by any halfway competent shop with the right tools.

Only thing I imagine to be really pricey, is if the ECU needs custom software tuning. Other than that, I can't imagine an internal swap to be physically or financially more complicated than a complete engine/tranny/electronic swap. As said I have no experience with this stuff, and only know as much as I read on forums... :dunno:

It may be cheaper to just FI the engine, or change the car for a 330ci/i.


You can swap the M54B30 in to the 323 and keep the 323 intake manifold so that you keep the cable TB. You can also keep your 323 transmission. A simple flash tune can then be done to get it running perfect.

Rayce185 10-10-2008 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Activ3 (Post 8665145)
You can swap the M54B30 in to the 323 and keep the 323 intake manifold so that you keep the cable TB. You can also keep your 323 transmission. A simple flash tune can then be done to get it running perfect.

Okay, but wouldn't it be very expensive to remove the entire engine, and insert a new one?

With an internal swap, I would imagine it would just take to raise the car, drain oil, remove the oil pan, disconnect the crank and remove it with rods and pistons mounted :dunno:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use