E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Po174 Diagnostic help here you go (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=609324)

jbeurotech 09-18-2008 11:35 AM

P0171 & P0174 Diagnostic help here you go

1 Attachment(s)
1. Check additive and multiplicative values
2. Perform smoke test of intake using inert smoke
3. Check Crankcase pressure with Manometer
4. Use a VE calc(volumetric efficiency calc) I posted how to do this and the file a while ago don't remember when. This will check the Maf
5. Don't forget internal vacuum leaks from purge valves or oil dipstick tube.
6. Repair the problem clear additive and multiplicative faults. Then drive the car and monitor values to see if they remain within specs.
if they do car is fixed ;)

VE calc can be downloaded here
http://www.thompsonautolabs.com/toolbox

Build a smoke machine for testing
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...=smoke+machine

NOW QUITE REPLACING RANDOM PARTS AND START DIAGNOSING ISSUES

IF I SEE ONE MORE I HAVE THIS CODE WHAT SHOULD I REPLACE?? I AM GONNA.........................

jbeurotech 09-18-2008 01:29 PM

Since there is already a post since I made this I give up.

Dan99 09-18-2008 01:31 PM

cool I've always wanted to make a smoke machine, but what's the 12 volt glow thingy and where can I find one?

jbeurotech 09-18-2008 01:53 PM

Glow plug out of any diesel

jbeurotech 09-18-2008 02:03 PM

Another side note do you guys want these types of posts or not I don't want to waste my time if no one is going to read or use this info

TheBirdmanJD 09-18-2008 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbeurotech (Post 8550646)
Since there is already a post since I made this I give up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbeurotech (Post 8550842)
Another side note do you guys want these types of posts or not I don't want to waste my time if no one is going to read or use this info

Please continue...I think there's just as many, if not more people who appreciate it than those who don't have, nor will ever get a clue...

Bird

black323i1981 09-18-2008 02:31 PM

do you use the smoke machine with the car running or not please let me know in more detail what to do.

thanks jbeurotech

jbeurotech 09-18-2008 02:35 PM

Smoke machine without the car running with the intake sealed.

black323i1981 09-18-2008 02:45 PM

ok perfect thank you very much ill try and build it up this weekend

jbeurotech 09-19-2008 08:46 AM

Good luck you should be able to build it very cheaply

nathancarter 09-19-2008 09:52 AM

While this is useful information and probably the "correct" way for an experienced tech to diagnose problems, it's probably much too advanced for most of the forum members. Remember, not everyone springs fully-formed from Zeus's head with a thorough knowledge of diagnostic procedures, or even the terminology associated with it.

Think like the average forum n00b: "I open up this post and the first line says something about additive and multiplicative values!! I got a D in high school algebra, wtf! And what the hell is a manometer!"

On the other hand, any monkey with a wrench (well, almost) can disassemble the intake enough to find out whether the lower boot is torn (which is a common cause of these particular codes). "Look for a hole in this part right here" is a much simpler concept than "perform volumetric efficiency calculations."

Not to slight your information, but it's probably useful to a very small percentage of forum readers, and therefore won't stop the deluge of threads asking about these problems.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBirdmanJD (Post 8550966)
I think there's just as many, if not more people who appreciate it than those who don't have, nor will ever get a clue...

I disagree. This is the internet, after all.

Brandond11 09-19-2008 10:00 AM

I built this last night, worked great to help me find a leak in a couple of my vacuum hoses!! Thanks jbeurotech! Now I just have to fix those hoses....

ken@bimmertools 09-19-2008 10:00 AM

Hey Seth - Your efforts are greatly appreciated. So much so that I've been working on a safe and affordable smoke tester like you've posted. I've built a couple manually-operated prototypes using different smoke sources. I'm getting closer.

There seems to be a need for a cheap, easy to use smoke tester.

In the interim, I highly recommend using Seth's design and suggestions.

Ken

jbeurotech 09-19-2008 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nathancarter (Post 8555187)
While this is useful information and probably the "correct" way for an experienced tech to diagnose problems, it's probably much too advanced for most of the forum members. Remember, not everyone springs fully-formed from Zeus's head with a thorough knowledge of diagnostic procedures, or even the terminology associated with it.

Think like the average forum n00b: "I open up this post and the first line says something about additive and multiplicative values!! I got a D in high school algebra, wtf! And what the hell is a manometer!"

On the other hand, any monkey with a wrench (well, almost) can disassemble the intake enough to find out whether the lower boot is torn (which is a common cause of these particular codes). "Look for a hole in this part right here" is a much simpler concept than "perform volumetric efficiency calculations."

Not to slight your information, but it's probably useful to a very small percentage of forum readers, and therefore won't stop the deluge of threads asking about these problems.

I disagree. This is the internet, after all.

It takes alot longer to take apart and intake then to do a proper diagnostic

Thats fine BUT there is a right way to diagnose cars and then there is the idiot way KEEP REPLACING PARTS TILL IT GOES AWAY LOL thats pretty stupid!!

jbeurotech 09-22-2008 07:24 AM

Bump for thsoe who just posted the same question about 02 sensors this applys to those codes as well

jayton 10-01-2008 12:17 PM

jbeurotech:

I am one of the ones that finds your post extremely helpful. I agree 100% that you should not simply replace parts until the problem is gone. That's what dealerships and many auto repair shops do.

I am a DIY type person, and I have worked on many Fords, GMs, and Hondas. When I first got my BMW, I started noticing on the BMW forums that anytime someone posts a problem, all of the replies are people that tell you how much they spent at the dealer to have the same problem fixed, and no one posts how to do it yourself.

I really appreciate your info. You are like Dr. House except for cars.

Now I am off to get started building a smoke machine to figure out my P0171 and P0174 problem. I will post back with my results.

jbeurotech 10-01-2008 08:43 PM

Gl that machine works as well as wjhat we use at the shop just doesn't have evap features and the durabilty we have but for a DIY it works well. Gl with your quest if you need any help just ask

Racinghart 10-01-2008 09:39 PM

Thanks for the info man, had this code last month and found it was a leaking intake boot.

tony325ci_51 10-03-2008 12:48 PM

Subscribed.

Many thanks for all your useful info Seth, please don't stop, it's one of the reasons e46f is such a useful place.

jbeurotech 12-08-2008 07:39 AM

Top people keep posting the same question