E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   turbo (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=610650)

bmdub20 09-23-2008 04:04 PM

turbo
 
what to turbo my car how many guys are running turbo non m e46 s

aggieE46 09-23-2008 04:06 PM

le sigh

JNFIV 09-23-2008 09:44 PM

hey man im running a activeauto supercharger kit complete with supersprint exhaust and k&n cold air intake on my 2005 325xi. has been great for me but if you really want a turbo call activeauto. they are the best and will be able to give u good info on turbo vs super and wats right for ur car. or u could call dinan which a lot of people like also

BartenderPlease 09-24-2008 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggieE46 (Post 8574651)
le sigh

seriously

Lemonsqr 09-24-2008 11:21 AM

Dont you hate it when the search button doesnt work? :(

billetboy 09-24-2008 12:43 PM

You can always put your own custom kit together.

Just get a manifold from Treadstone or Steed Speed and buy the other components seperately. The charge air pipes are simple to fabricate and any decent exhaust shop can tie the turbo and wastegate in to the exhaust system. The biggest problem is tuning but I heard somewhere that the stock computer will actually deal with 6psi anyway. After that you can probably get AEM to supply you with a piggyback to fine tune for higher boost.

TxZHP04 09-24-2008 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemonsqr (Post 8579270)
Dont you hate it when the search button doesnt work? :(

It's bad when newbs ask questions when they could have easily searched out the answer. It's even worse when other newbs start offering bad advice in response because they don't know how to search either.

mcr_driver 09-24-2008 01:19 PM

since no one else has done it


:search:


oh and le sigh :(

BMW_Matt 09-24-2008 01:26 PM

ur gonna need a custom turbo for a non-m e46.
:search:

Monster135 09-25-2008 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doofness (Post 8579787)
ur gonna need a custom turbo for a non-m e46.
:search:

Why? Shouldn't any T3/T4 turbo from Garrett, Precision, Borg Warner, etc. work? I don't understand why you would need a custom turbo as long as manifold is flanged to accept a T3 or T4 type exhaust housing.

JJR4884 09-25-2008 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImolaRed330Ci (Post 8586175)
Why? Shouldn't any T3/T4 turbo from Garrett, Precision, Borg Warner, etc. work? I don't understand why you would need a custom turbo as long as manifold is flanged to accept a T3 or T4 type exhaust housing.

i am pretty sure he means a custom turbo setup, not the actual turbo

and of course

le sigh



another thread discussing a mod that will never be done.......

Monster135 09-25-2008 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJR4884 (Post 8586188)
i am pretty sure he means a custom turbo setup, not the actual turbo

and of course

le sigh



another thread discussing a mod that will never be done.......

Unfortunately no company seems interested in making a turbo kit for non M E46 for some reason. ATP was working on a kit awhile back, but I haven't heard any new information about the kit or if they're still planning on releasing it. Hopefully it will be placed on the market in the near future...hopefully.

2000_328CI 09-25-2008 02:21 PM

cause they would never see their money back. Development would be so costly and they woudl never sell enough units at a price point where their return on investment would be worth the time/money. Keep in mind a lot of software would be needed to help the car run properly with the new turbo in place.

TxZHP04 09-25-2008 02:25 PM

Good grief people... don't ask if you haven't searched first... and don't answer if you don't know what you're talking about.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...39#post7493739

Monster135 09-25-2008 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000_328CI (Post 8586307)
cause they would never see their money back. Development would be so costly and they woudl never sell enough units at a price point where their return on investment would be worth the time/money. Keep in mind a lot of software would be needed to help the car run properly with the new turbo in place.

R&D is costly, but that shouldn't be used as an excuse. I completely understand their hesitation to plunk down thousands of dollars into a product they're not sure is going to sell, but that's a dilemna all aftermarket companies face, it's not unique to bmw tuners. If they develop a great product at a reasonable (not saying cheap) price they should easily see a return on their investment, especially since the demand for the product is there. As far as the software issue is concerned, it can be solved by using a standalone engine management unit like AEM, Motec, etc. In the end it all depends on the companies agendas, for now they're content making their money off M3s and have completely disregarded non M E46 platforms leaving us with little options.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use