E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   problems with aa's 325 kit (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=611308)

325ifc3s 09-25-2008 08:21 PM

problems with aa's 325 kit
 
the shop i took my car to say they are having troubles with the install and are having to fab some of there own tubing to make my kit work. so my question is has anyone had the same issue or any issue during the install of this kit onto a 325i? the hardware seems to fit fine, but they are complaining about the plumbing and am kindof afraid of how much extra this guys going to charge for the "extra" work to install the kit.

naveedh 09-25-2008 08:52 PM

From what i have heard, AAS's kits are true plug and play. Its either some production model difference in your car, which would suggest you havent got the correct kit or the guy is just tryin to get a bit more $$ outa you...

TxZHP04 09-25-2008 08:56 PM

Your shop shouldn't have to fab anything. Something here isn't right. I would arrange a conference call between you, your shop, and AA.

325ifc3s 09-25-2008 09:09 PM

from what i understood when i talked to my shop they said aa told him that some of the parts were different than in the kit (updated) but the instructions were not updated to match. either way i was just curious if anyone had any problems with the kit for the 325 specifically or any other kit involving the plumbing. oh and to who asked i am sure i didnt get the wrong kit as i ordered it from jean and told him exactly what i had.
hopefully my dme will come in tomorrow and i can drive my car home from the shop.

AMG-ETR 09-25-2008 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxZHP04 (Post 8588612)
Your shop shouldn't have to fab anything. Something here isn't right. I would arrange a conference call between you, your shop, and AA.

Best thing to do.

Activ3 09-26-2008 01:09 AM

If your shop has installed any F/I kit before, they should know what to do, regardless of instructions, especially with the plumbing... If they are experienced and are having problems with the plumbing, something is probably wrong.

ridin325 09-26-2008 06:31 AM

I had a problem with the intercooling pipeing as well. It fits but it doesnt fit well. I will be redoing mine sometime next spring when I get a chance, so it fits better and to upgrade the intercooler.

325ifc3s 09-26-2008 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ridin325 (Post 8590594)
I had a problem with the intercooling pipeing as well. It fits but it doesnt fit well. I will be redoing mine sometime next spring when I get a chance, so it fits better and to upgrade the intercooler.

i think this is the problem they are(were) having. it didnt fit well enough for them to call satisfactory i suppose, this guy is a real critique artist when it comes to getting things like this right. he builds custom race set ups in bmw, alfa romeo, fiat, and other european cars, granted most of them are older he does know what he is doing, i just think he hasnt played with a e46 s/c kit since most of his set ups are turbo.
anyways my car should be done today and i am just waiting for ups to deliver my dme, wish it would've got sent to the shop where i had it shipped from, oh well.

Active Autowerke II 09-26-2008 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 325ifc3s (Post 8590940)
i think this is the problem they are(were) having. it didnt fit well enough for them to call satisfactory i suppose, this guy is a real critique artist when it comes to getting things like this right. he builds custom race set ups in bmw, alfa romeo, fiat, and other european cars, granted most of them are older he does know what he is doing, i just think he hasnt played with a e46 s/c kit since most of his set ups are turbo.
anyways my car should be done today and i am just waiting for ups to deliver my dme, wish it would've got sent to the shop where i had it shipped from, oh well.

If for some reason they are still having an issue, give us a call. Otherwise enjoy it.

325ifc3s 09-26-2008 05:33 PM

yeah kirk, i just got it back from the shop, i have been there for the last 4 hours trying to make the bumper fit and the hood close without the grills hitting the oil cooler. i gotta tell you man, since you guys changed some of the parts on the kit there are a lot of little mods needed to make it work with the car. there was a intercooler pipe that had to be fabbed and the inner structure of the bumper had to be cut to allow clearance for the intercooler, after it was pushed back as far as it could go against the electric fan. then we had to cut away the rubber pieces on the inside of the kidneys so they wouldnt hit the oil cooler.
but now since that is done with i am enjoying the car a lot more now than i ever did before, so for that part i love it but the rest (install) i think a few things need to be re looked at for a direct plug and play.
almost forgot, the air filter piping was a good length and everything but you didnt send a plug kit to extend the maf plugs so they had to leave a section of the intake pipe off until i can re wire the maf to extend the wires to reach. thats what the shop told me anyways.

mm325 09-27-2008 09:07 PM

Are you in the KC metro? Just curious which shop you used.

Saintly 09-28-2008 03:15 AM

Just completed an install on 04 325...all done in approx 10hrs, no modifications. Maybe because I have done them before it makes it easier but its straight forward really. Car started first pop. i would always recommend calling AA if things look like needing modification. Hope your all sorted now.

325ifc3s 09-28-2008 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mm325 (Post 8597380)
Are you in the KC metro? Just curious which shop you used.

no, i live in wichita. i used european car here in town. david the owner is a good guy and knows his stuff so i decided to use him for the install. there were just too many small things that needed to be addressed in order for this to be perfect, and thats how david wants things, always.

InterlagosMcoupe 09-29-2008 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 325ifc3s (Post 8593076)
yeah kirk, i just got it back from the shop, i have been there for the last 4 hours trying to make the bumper fit and the hood close without the grills hitting the oil cooler. i gotta tell you man, since you guys changed some of the parts on the kit there are a lot of little mods needed to make it work with the car. there was a intercooler pipe that had to be fabbed and the inner structure of the bumper had to be cut to allow clearance for the intercooler, after it was pushed back as far as it could go against the electric fan. then we had to cut away the rubber pieces on the inside of the kidneys so they wouldnt hit the oil cooler.
but now since that is done with i am enjoying the car a lot more now than i ever did before, so for that part i love it but the rest (install) i think a few things need to be re looked at for a direct plug and play.
almost forgot, the air filter piping was a good length and everything but you didnt send a plug kit to extend the maf plugs so they had to leave a section of the intake pipe off until i can re wire the maf to extend the wires to reach. thats what the shop told me anyways.


The cutting is pretty standard, your shop should have known they needed to do it from begin with. They also should have been more then capable to extend the MAF wires without a "kit". Again this is VERY standard stuff. And the piping can be a bit of a pain, but an experienced shop should be able to work through it very easily.

I would suggest next time you take your car to a different shop as that one clearly does not have the proper experience to be working on your car.

325ifc3s 09-29-2008 08:25 PM

this guy has plenty of experience but it is a perfectionist when it comes to things like this. he builds custom turbo set ups for cars from alfa's to porsche's. he has done a few super chargers but not dealt with a pre built kit and i was wondering if any one else had the same problems and expressing the things he told me.

Rog323 09-30-2008 08:24 AM

Hey guys, how much a shop usually charge for a install?

Active Autowerke II 09-30-2008 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rog323 (Post 8608501)
Hey guys, how much a shop usually charge for a install?

The charge for an install depends on the shop's labor rate, but figure that it will be about 10-12 hours of labor.

brycerichert 10-06-2008 01:54 AM

My install was 14 hours for both sc and Devil's Own Injection at $95/hour.

Was that good or bad? I really don't know.

All I know is I couldn't do it myself and wouldn't want to even attempt it.

TioTitin'sBlau3 10-06-2008 06:52 AM

Don't mean to thread jack but KIRK/ or anyone, is this problem with all 325i's or is it a production year? Or is the problem that you had to fab certian things a coupe or sedan issue. I'm ready to buy the AA kit and plan on doing the install myself, just need to know if its going to be headache? Thanks for anyone's input, I don't feel like starting the project myself to find out that I need to spend additional cash flow for no reason.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use