E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Food Talk (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   How to eat in NYC... by yours truley (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=611674)

///M PWR 00 09-27-2008 01:38 AM

How to eat in NYC... by yours truley

I tend to hit up the same places in the city whenever I take my cheat day, or happen to blow down a fatty while in the city :eek:. Heres my list of hot spots. Trust me when I tell you, you wont be dissapointed.

1. Patsy's Brickoven Pizza in Harlem... unbelievable pizza

2. Joe's Pizza in the villiage (on bleeker & carmine, in between a bakery and deli. Dont be fooled by the million other "joe's pizzaria" spots.

3. Mamoun's on mcdougal st in the villiage for falafel sandwiches, chicken sandwiches, hummus..

4. Halal Cart at 53rd and 6th ave in the city, get the gyro meat with rice, lettuce, extra whitesauce, and some hot sauce. Be warned, the hot sauce is no joke.

5. Gray's Papaya for hotdogs, on West 72nd and _____. Theres actually a bunch of them in the city. Dont go to "Papaya Dog".. its not the same.

and for those with a sweet tooth..

1. Magnolia Bakery... all I gotta say is BEST FUKKIN CUPCAKES EVER HANDS DOWN! Be sure to try the red velvet cupcake as well as the magic cookie bar. Theres one in the villiage on bleeker and west 11th, and one uptown on columbus and I think 68th? Me and my girl love it so much that I am actually picking up a red velvet cake for her 23rd birthday on Sunday. feeds 12-15 people and costs 50$, damn rip off.

2. Beard Papa in the villiage for unbelievably good cream puffs. Theres also a uptown location.

3. Creperie shop on mcdougal in the villiage. If you hadnt had one from here you are missing out! Go with the white chocolate or the nutella. Keep it simple and stay away from the fruit filled ones and crap..

4. Crumbs bakery.. pretty sick selection of cupcakes, but not as good as the simple Magnolia ones.. only been there once, was high as hell so I dont remember the location. google it

5. The Chip Shop on Atlantic Ave in brooklyn.. fried candy, reecees, snikers, oreos, and so on. To die for!

Thats all I got. These are the only spots I hit up when I am in the city and hungry. They are all I need. :drool:

zikhkd 09-27-2008 01:54 AM

any pizza place on the streets of nyc is good :drool:

also the gyros :drool:

none of that is good in texas, except for the steak houses :drool:

mooninite 09-27-2008 02:13 AM

Pfffft I've had New York pizza (yes, IN new york) and it was average.

Mama's Pizza == Best pizza hands down.

///M PWR 00 09-27-2008 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sikhkd (Post 8594818)
any pizza place on the streets of nyc is good :drool:

also the gyros :drool:

none of that is good in texas, except for the steak houses :drool:

Trust me when I tell you, not all NYC pizza is created equal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mooninite (Post 8594853)
Pfffft I've had New York pizza (yes, IN new york) and it was average.

Mama's Pizza == Best pizza hands down.

Again, not all NYC pizza ia created equal. I would bet my life a slice of Joe's or Patsy's would put your "Mama's" pizza to shame. Never in a million years will I believe a Texas pizza can beat a NYC pizza. Sorry bro, not gonna happen. :rofl:

Breyton-BMW 09-27-2008 02:16 AM

I love NY pizza. I must have sampled a slice in every pizza place I came across.:drool: I also tried Gray's papaya. I would not call it great but for $2.75 for 2 dogs and a drink, it was okay.

mooninite 09-27-2008 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ///M PWR 00 (Post 8594856)
Trust me when I tell you, not all NYC pizza is created equal.

Again, not all NYC pizza ia created equal. I would bet my life a slice of Joe's or Patsy's would put your "Mama's" pizza to shame. Never in a million years will I believe a Texas pizza can beat a NYC pizza. Sorry bro, not gonna happen. :rofl:

Uh, I've had quite a few kinds. You've NEVER had ours so I'd ****.

calledig1tal 09-27-2008 02:39 AM

id love to hit up the top 5 joints in one day LOL

SiCrew 09-27-2008 02:51 AM

53rd and 6th ftw...lol

Jesda 09-27-2008 02:51 AM

I dislike NY pizza and hate NYC. I will never go back.

calledig1tal 09-27-2008 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesda (Post 8594917)
I dislike NY pizza and hate NYC. I will never go back.

WERD, one of my first experiences there was genuinely off-putting. but ill go back sometime i dont wanna puss out

kush 09-27-2008 03:08 AM

cool site http://www.chipshopnyc.com/

mistrzmiasta 09-27-2008 06:11 AM

yeah usually its the suburban kids that talk garbage about NYC....and texas pizza better than NY's? hahahahahahah dude i would rather eat my own vomit than texas pizza

treadman 09-27-2008 07:15 AM

Look at all those calories.

///A 09-27-2008 07:17 AM

This is NOT how to eat in NYC:

Magnolia's is an overpriced P.O.S. tourist trap, and does NOT have good cupcakes; it actually tastes like a home&careers 101 student made crap with a shtload of frosting. The only reason why they are so popular is because they limit the amount of people to be let inside that small fart room of a bakery, thus forcing a Disney-World-attraction-sized line, and because it was mentioned in Sex in the City. DO NOT pay $2.75 or whatever the fck it is for these cupcakes that are literally the size of my balls.

I think Papaya Dog is better than Gray's Papaya because Papaya Dog is snappier.

Beard Papa lost its quality tremendously since it first opened by Astor Pl. I don't even know what the fck it is; it sells creampuffs, eclairs, SUSHI, and now frozen yogurt? :hmm: WTF. The creampuffs aren't warm anymore, the creme is not cold and sometimes is chunky, and their frozen-yogurt is the worst and most expensive I've had in the city.

Brooklyn has the best pizzas, check out Luigi's on Dekalb Ave , and Graziela's on Vanderbuilt

If you want quality NYC foods, you have to check out the gems such as these:

1. Babo - Italian
2. Artisanal- French / Cheese aficionados
3. Peter Luger Steakhouse
4. Blue Hill
5. Otto Pizzeria
6. Corner Bistro - burger and home brewed beer
7. 99 Miles to Philly - Philly Cheesesteaks

Obviously these aren't the only awesome ones

emmm_three 09-27-2008 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ///A (Post 8595148)
This is NOT how to eat in NYC:

Magnolia's is an overpriced P.O.S. tourist trap, and does NOT have good cupcakes; it actually tastes like a home&careers 101 student made crap with a shtload of frosting. The only reason why they are so popular is because they limit the amount of people to be let inside that small fart room of a bakery, and because it was mentioned in Sex in the City. DO NOT pay $2.75 or whatever the fck it is for these cupcakes that are literally the size of my balls.

I think Papaya Dog is better than Gray's Papaya because Papaya Dog is snappier.

Beard Papa lost its quality tremendously since it first opened by Astor Pl. I don't even know what the fck it is; it sells creampuffs, eclairs, SUSHI, and now frozen yogurt? :hmm: WTF. The creampuffs aren't warm anymore, the creme is not cold and sometimes is chunky, and their frozen-yogurt is the worst and most expensive I've had in the city.

Brooklyn has the best pizzas

If you want quality NYC foods, you have to check out the gems such as these:

1. Babo - Italian
2. Artisanal- French / Cheese aficionados
3. Peter Luger Steakhouse
4. Blue Hill
5. Otto Pizzeria
6. Corner Bistro - burger and home brewed beer
7. 99 Miles to Philly - Philly Cheesesteaks

Obviously these aren't the only awesome ones

1. I agree...great food
5. I agree...great food (more casual than #1)
I'm a big Batali fan

///A 09-27-2008 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emmm_three (Post 8595160)
1. I agree...great food
5. I agree...great food (more casual than #1)
I'm a big Batali fan

:thumbsup:

mistrzmiasta 09-27-2008 07:33 AM

Luger FTW....steak , home fries , bacon , and becks dark :drool:

SJTrance 09-27-2008 08:35 AM

OP! I completely agree with almost everything on your list. This week alone, i've had Patsy's pizza 5 times...NO JOKE! I had a chick visit me from Australia and she just couldn't get enough of their pizza. I live in East Harlem too, so it's a no brainer.

I tried Lombardi's a few days ago and I just didn't like it much. I may try Joes and see what the deal is.

I would also add a few resteraunts:

Chinese Mirch - 28th and Lexington for great Indian/Chinese food

Nyonya - Spring between Mott and Mulberry for great Malaysian food

Creperie - The most amazing crepes. I like mine with Nutella, Walnuts, and bananas.

Desert Truck - on University Blvd in the East Village (not sure exactly what street). A young pastry chef selling world class deserts out of a truck for $5/pop.

Buddah Bar - When you want to impress someone with a great atmosphere and fantastic food. You'll need reservations, stick around after dinner on a weekend to see real guidos in action.

Mike Larry 09-27-2008 09:07 AM

ok i have a question about the halal cart on 53rd and 6th...do people actually think this tastes better than all the other halal carts in the city? THEY ALL TASTE THE ****** SAME. the only reason why that one got so popular is because rich dudes would come there after drinking at like 3-4 in the morning because theres a bunch of bars/lounges in that area.

gotta agree with the mamouns and greys suggestions though (although i dont taste much of a difference between all the papaya joints). i get them when im piss drunk all the time, dont even remember that i ate them the morning after, and find stains all over my shirt because im such a drunk slob. i just ruined a shirt last week from all the onions on the hot dogs :rofl:

Shortkut00 09-27-2008 09:10 AM

Mamoun's is amazing, 99 miles to Philly is not that good, Totonno's Pizza is unreal and they don't make pizza in Texas they make bread with ketchup.