E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Need help fast! (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=615915)

vinnybones 10-13-2008 12:43 PM

Need help fast!

i was putting in my pia hyper white lights and the side with the airbox its hard to get to so i undid it and i had to pull the top up a little and i ended up tearing the tubing that runs from the engine to the airbox (mass air flow?) now my service engine lights on and cars acting funny..is there simple repair like just electrical taping it back until i can get a new 1? and should i just buy a K&N intake or replace the oem? thanks!

vinnybones 10-13-2008 01:48 PM

bump!

MATT0404 10-13-2008 03:08 PM

A solution to your problem depends on the extent of the damage. From your description it seems like you are talking about the MAF sensor wires. A bundle of wires that are wrapped in a sheath that connect at the back of the airbox to a square/rectangle sensor and run back towards the engine block? Did you pull the wires out of the sensor or did one, or more, of them break in-line? You're going to have to establish the exact problem before we can help you fix it. If it is non-repairable then changing out the intake system isn't going to fix it since every intake will require the use of that same sensor.

Bimmer Dude Xi 10-13-2008 03:46 PM

I hate that poor design of having the airbox close to the headlight and also some of the clips of the airbox are tough to get to.

vinnybones 10-13-2008 05:11 PM

the rubber tube that connects to the maf has about a 2" tear in it..all the wires are ok its just the rubber piping has a hole

Bimmer Dude Xi 10-13-2008 05:30 PM

I would try sewing the rubber tube with a heavy weight fishing line tightly wound. After sewing it then paste on some silicone or any type of that to insure a good vacuum seal. This is for temporary.

Then buy a new rubber intake tube.

vinnybones 10-13-2008 07:50 PM

where can i get the bmw rubber tube from and how much? and what about just buying a Air intake?

frobie15 10-13-2008 07:51 PM

The tube is only $20 or so from the dealer. It's a bit of a pain to replace, though. Not impossible, just frustrating and time consuming.

vinnybones 10-13-2008 07:55 PM

i tried to look for a DIY and couldnt find anything..im not sure what to type in..replacing rubber tube?!..i need to get this done asap..got a date on wedesday and cant be stalling out

frobie15 10-13-2008 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinnybones (Post 8682219)
i tried to look for a DIY and couldnt find anything..im not sure what to type in..replacing rubber tube?!..i need to get this done asap..got a date on wedesday and cant be stalling out

I don't think there's a DIY. Seriously, it's not a complicated process. Just long and frustrating.

vinnybones 10-13-2008 08:13 PM

lol well i figured since theres even a DIY for a tuna melt there would be one for this lol...do you know if its a part usually instock?

frobie15 10-13-2008 08:27 PM

It was in stock at my local dealer the day I needed it. Just call and check. I don't know if all dealers stock the same parts.

vinnybones 10-13-2008 08:39 PM

k thanks man I appreciate it

MATT0404 10-13-2008 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinnybones (Post 8682328)
lol well i figured since theres even a DIY for a tuna melt there would be one for this lol...do you know if its a part usually instock?

:rofl: Good one.

Bimmer Dude Xi 10-13-2008 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinnybones (Post 8682328)

If they have it, then you're a lucky one. Good luck

vinnybones 10-14-2008 03:41 PM

so today i went in for the fix.I couldnt NOT get the rubber tube off lol so i did all the work underthe hood right there..i tried sewing it up but it was to strong and broke two needles..i got gorilla glue and put 2 coatings on the inside of the tube and 1 coating on the outside and wrapped tightly with gorilla tape...Car no longer stalls out due to choking on the air but SES light is still on...anybody know why?

frobie15 10-14-2008 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinnybones (Post 8687472)
so today i went in for the fix.I couldnt NOT get the rubber tube off lol so i did all the work underthe hood right there..i tried sewing it up but it was to strong and broke two needles..i got gorilla glue and put 2 coatings on the inside of the tube and 1 coating on the outside and wrapped tightly with gorilla tape...Car no longer stalls out due to choking on the air but SES light is still on...anybody know why?

Probably still leaking air, just not enough to make it die. You really do need to swap that thing out!

vinnybones 10-14-2008 04:00 PM

yes I know..It gives me some time to figure out whether or not to buy Oem or just get aftermarket intake.

frobie15 10-14-2008 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinnybones (Post 8687573)
yes I know..It gives me some time to figure out whether or not to buy Oem or just get aftermarket intake.

An aftermarket intake isn't going to fix the inlet hose. At least, none that I know of!

vinnybones 10-14-2008 06:59 PM

ooo...yea the thing i couldnt get off is where the two tubes connect to the rubber tube think its the fss/ and something else..i couldnt remove them bitches..how the **** are you suppose to get them off..i tried prying them..twist and pull.vice grib n pull nothing:{