E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Technik Camshafts (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=616162)

Bimmer Dude Xi 10-14-2008 04:34 AM

Technik Camshafts

Has anyone tried these camshafts?
If so, how much a difference did it make?

Activ3 10-16-2008 10:26 AM

They are schricks... F/I ones being 248/256 and n/a ones being 264/248.

NA cams actually offer a decent HP gain, and if you're into performance and not planning to boost your car, I'd say go for it :thumbup:

TxZHP04 10-16-2008 11:00 AM

Given the cost of the cams + installation and considering you have a 325, I think I'd simply consider trading the 325 for a 330 before doing a cam swap.

dpgrand 10-16-2008 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxZHP04 (Post 8698748)
Given the cost of the cams + installation and considering you have a 325, I think I'd simply consider trading the 325 for a 330 before doing a cam swap.

I agree

Bimmer Dude Xi 10-16-2008 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxZHP04 (Post 8698748)

Well I plan on doing more than just cams. Intake or maybe supercharged, engine software, tranny software, full exhaust, larger throttle body, pullies. So I'm looking for more ways to add HP.

This is my first bimmer, so I'm really just getting to know these cars. Before this car, I also have a 99 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX. I would like to get a 330 but the way economy is, it'll be tough. It was hard for me to get this 325.

TxZHP04 10-16-2008 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bimmer Dude Xi (Post 8701378)
Well I plan on doing more than just cams. Intake or maybe supercharged, engine software, tranny software, full exhaust, larger throttle body, pullies. So I'm looking for more ways to add HP.

This is my first bimmer, so I'm really just getting to know these cars. Before this car, I also have a 99 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX. I would like to get a 330 but the way economy is, it'll be tough. It was hard for me to get this 325.

Perhaps you should plan to hang on to your money then... but this thread isn't about your finances.

Plan carefully. Cams for FI are not the same as cams for a NA motor. With an auto 325, FI options are going to be boost limited by the transmission and would likely make FI cams pointless. If you stay NA and pursue cams, plan on ~ $2500 +/- for the cams and install to give you another ~ 20 hp, mostly on the top end. Intake and throttle body would probably help you get the most out of cams otherwise their value is questionable. Personally, I'm not a fan of pullies.

Bimmer Dude Xi 10-16-2008 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxZHP04 (Post 8701569)
Perhaps you should plan to hang on to your money then... but this thread isn't about your finances.

Plan carefully. Cams for FI are not the same as cams for a NA motor. With an auto 325, FI options are going to be boost limited by the transmission and would likely make FI cams pointless. If you stay NA and pursue cams, plan on ~ $2500 +/- for the cams and install to give you another ~ 20 hp, mostly on the top end. Intake and throttle body would probably help you get the most out of cams otherwise their value is questionable. Personally, I'm not a fan of pullies.

I definitely understand what you're saying. Yea I saw the difference between Na and FI cams. I can't believe installation for cams is so much. I miss modding my good ol 4G63-T motor. Reasons why I researching before I decide to mod anything in my engine bay. Personal reasons why you're not a fan of pullies?

TxZHP04 10-16-2008 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bimmer Dude Xi (Post 8701641)
I definitely understand what you're saying. Yea I saw the difference between Na and FI cams. I can't believe installation for cams is so much. I miss modding my good ol 4G63-T motor. Reasons why I researching before I decide to mod anything in my engine bay. Personal reasons why you're not a fan of pullies?

Water pump, PS, and alternator pullies are only good for about 10 hp. Of the 3, the only one I would even consider under-driving on a daily driven BMW is the power steering. Under certain conditions, such as for a track car, the others might make more sense. At this point, on my car, it's kind of pointless anyway.

Yeah, unfortunately BMW doesn't leave much cheap/easy hp on the table.

TioTitin'sBlau3 10-17-2008 03:27 AM

If you plan on staying N/A, then I believe its worth it. I already have Rogue Pullies, SS Headers, Vibrant Hi Flow Cats, Borla Cat-back, Jim Conforti Intake, and AA Tune. Only thing is now that since I'm going back and forth about F/I, I think I'll just cough up the several hundred for Cams and get a re-tune with AA for Cams and Headers and I will be done, and put the 5gs for F/I towards an E92 M3......but thats just me a natural high til the M arrives.

simsima325 10-17-2008 09:31 AM

ur auto and xi... i'd do nothing to this car. not only do you stand to break an auto tranny (search this forum for the horror stories), but you have the AWD in the mix to screw up.

GL, but you honestly have the worst possible e46 for modding (engine wise). buy some nice exterior parts and enjoy the car as it is!

Sorry, not trying to be mean, just honest.

TxZHP04 10-17-2008 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simsima325 (Post 8704159)
ur auto and xi... i'd do nothing to this car. not only do you stand to break an auto tranny (search this forum for the horror stories), but you have the AWD in the mix to screw up.

GL, but you honestly have the worst possible e46 for modding (engine wise). buy some nice exterior parts and enjoy the car as it is!

I completely agree that a 325xi auto is not a great base for modding. A few NA mods probably wouldn't be an issue as they're not likely to produce enough additional power to really stress things. A SC would be much more of a gamble. Either way, it's a gamble that someone who might not have a spare $5k laying around to replace a transmission should seriously consider before starting to mod.

Bimmer Dude Xi 10-17-2008 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simsima325 (Post 8704159)

It's cool, I rather you be honest than to bullsh!t me around. Right now I'm just soaking up all the information I need to know about these cars. I kind of notice something on my tranny with my car. First gear take a few seconds to engage when I first start the car after a few hours of sitting.

Thanks for the info

simsima325 10-17-2008 12:01 PM

^ in that case... be careful! I def. wouldn't do cams on this car. Intake/exhaust will sound nice and cause no additional problems with ur drivetrain, i'd start there and just enjoy the car :)

Bimmer Dude Xi 10-17-2008 04:19 PM

I'm definitely am taking my time on this car. I figured I research first before making moves.

330i ZHP 10-17-2008 11:16 PM

yea, i have to agree with others. The 2.5L and auto and AWD are not a combination to consider going HP searching with.