E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Thinking about going with Big Brake Kit (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=616706)

Bimmer Dude Xi 10-15-2008 10:05 PM

Thinking about going with Big Brake Kit

If I go with a Big Brake Kit, I have question.

Will I still be able to use the brake pad sensors with the new kit?

Wide Tires 10-16-2008 01:26 AM

I am considering a big brake kit and have been researching the many different kits. I too would prefer to have functional pad wear sensors.

Dinan claims that their BBKs retain the oem wear sensors. There appears to be a small pocket in the pad to accept the sensor. Because the Dinan kit is merely a re-labeled Brembo kit, it can be assumed that the Brembo kits will also retain the sensor. Stoptech kits use a different but possibly compatible sensor. See their website for more details. I don't know about the use of sensors with other BBKs.

Unfortunately the Dinan and Brembo kits are very expensive and the Stoptech kits are only slightly less expensive.

Bimmer Dude Xi 10-16-2008 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wide Tires (Post 8697484)
I am considering a big brake kit and have been researching the many different kits. I too would prefer to have functional pad wear sensors.

Dinan claims that their BBKs retain the oem wear sensors. There appears to be a small pocket in the pad to accept the sensor. Because the Dinan kit is merely a re-labeled Brembo kit, it can be assumed that the Brembo kits will also retain the sensor. Stoptech kits use a different but possibly compatible sensor. See their website for more details. I don't know about the use of sensors with other BBKs.

Unfortunately the Dinan and Brembo kits are very expensive and the Stoptech kits are only slightly less expensive.

I saw on UUC Motor Werks which are very cheap price for front and rear kit. On UUC Motor Werks page they offer WILWOOD big brake kit front and rear with 4 pistons calipers for 2100, so I wonder if i can use the brake pad sensors in these. I hope so, I'm going to give UUC call tomorrow and ask them.

Brembo_RaceTech 10-16-2008 11:11 AM

All of our brake kits do in fact have the option for pads with the OEM wear sensor in them.
This is standard on the 6-piston monobloc kits, and is an option on the 4-piston systems.
You will need to request the pad sensor when you place the order.

Keep in mind that brakes are one of the items where you do in fact "get what you pay for".
When you see brake systems that are priced significantly less than others, you should really look into what you are actually receiving for the money you are spending.

Manufacturing and build quality is one of the first major differences between many of these kits. Longevity of the components such as pads and rotors is another to look at closely. While some companies make claims to having less expensive replacement parts cost, you also need to take into consideration the frequency of having to replace such items. Other costs that are not frequently talked about are the unexpected cost of replacing other items such as hat's or brackets, seized hardware, or caliper rebuilds from many of these lower cost alternatives.

Brembo systems are as simply as "Install and Enjoy".
The only items that are considered consumable in our systems are the rotors and pads, just as in your OEM system.
For the 2pc. fully floating discs this will include replacing the connecting hardware between the disc and hat.
With Brembo, you will never need to purchase new hats/bells, brackets, caliper rebuild kits, or any other significant items as part of general maintenance or common use. You will not be advise to safety wire any of your hardware for fear of it coming apart during use. Lastly, quality and safety will never be compromised in exchange for lower costs and other claimed benefits.

2000_328CI 10-16-2008 11:11 AM

only do it if being done for looks...

Custom3 10-16-2008 11:23 AM

^ i agree - if your planning on putting them on a 325 your wasting your money unless you have a show car...even if you had a m3 youll be wasting your money buying a after market brake kit...bmw did a very good job with our brake system...if and only if your car is pushing more then 350whp then i would recommend a bigger brake kit...do your research before you spend all your cash...youll find on here that people who actually went with brembro kits felt no difference....but those who went with the brembro big brake kit actually do feel a difference.

howie 10-16-2008 11:24 AM

a 325 w/ big brake kit?!? Thats like boosting a lawnmower. How fast do you need to stop from 0-60 in 2 miles?!? I agree w/ the above, get the brembo if its strictly for looks.

TxZHP04 10-16-2008 12:33 PM

I'm guessing it's not for looks if the OP is sporting the wheels shown in his sig pic... you'll never see the brakes. Of course, they might not fit inside those wheels anyway.

I agree with some of the others when they say that a BBK would be a giant waste of money on a 325. Perhaps the OP can shed some light on why he's considering a BBK.

Bimmer Dude Xi 10-16-2008 06:47 PM

Well right now I'm doing the research, It's not a show car but I'd like to have the looks though. I do not plan keeping these wheels, I plan on getting the 18" CSL replica rims by the spring time. I see the point of needing the 350+ whp for the point of actually having these upgraded kits and yea also on the lawn mower comment. It's just an idea really. I just been browsing around. I was looking into cross drilled slotted rotors all around or maybe just slotted rotors.

Someone mentioned when it comes to brakes, "You get what you paid for" I know 2100 for front and rear kit is low but isn't WILWOOD a good company for brakes? :eek:

howie 10-17-2008 07:26 AM

if its just for looks, paint your stock calipers. Looks just as nice minus the huge name on the side.

simsima325 10-17-2008 12:12 PM

search regarding the 330 brake upgrade :)

bigjae1976 10-17-2008 12:50 PM

I have the UUC/Wilwood kit and you can't use the OEM sensor. The pedal feels much better over OEM but I can't say that alone justifies the cost. You can get the UUC front wheel only kit for about $1k.

If you do go with UUC, I'd get the 6 piston fr/4 piston rr with the slotted rotors. If you want drilled one, buy them from Tischer. The added cost of getting the drilled upgrade is more than just buying the rotors from Tischer. Keep in mind that you go with the OEM drilled rotors, you'll want to paint the hat and inner part of the rotor with some black hi-temp paint.

kent330i 10-17-2008 02:38 PM

Most of the BBK do not use sensor; all you have to do is cut your sensor wires shorter and connect both of them together.

Red 90 10-17-2008 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by howie (Post 8698844)
a 325 w/ big brake kit?!? Thats like boosting a lawnmower. How fast do you need to stop from 0-60 in 2 miles?!? I agree w/ the above, get the brembo if its strictly for looks.

It's not how fast you stop that necessitates the big brake kit, it's how many repeated stops you make. You can have a 325 and require a big brake kit if you track the car, and you don't necessarily need a high HP car to enjoy the track. However, you need a car that can take 30min worth of hard core braking every corner without fading and still have good modulation. This is where the big brake kit shines.

If the car is just used for the street driving, then I agree, you won't ever need a big brake kit. If you track the car, even if it's not competitive, you'll enjoy the BBK.

Just to note, you don't need an M3 or 350hp car to go on the track. You just need a good working car with sticky tires, good brakes and good cooling system.