E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Has anybody tried Dinan performance products (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=619287)

Bimmer Dude Xi 10-25-2008 06:12 PM

Has anybody tried Dinan performance products

I'm looking to get the there Air box, throttle body, stage 3 engine software and transmission software.

I'm open to suggestions, opinions, recommendations and whatever .02 cents you want to throw in.

Thanks

imolazhp_ci 10-25-2008 06:14 PM

most people on here hate dinan because it's expensive without very strong results. however, the rational consensus is that they are very good products and very high quality... it's simply that they aren't the most cost effective. also, i'm guessing you are out of warranty in which case the dinan stuff doesn't really benefit you.

Bimmer Dude Xi 10-25-2008 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imolazhp_ci (Post 8756408)
most people on here hate dinan because it's expensive without very strong results. however, the rational consensus is that they are very good products and very high quality... it's simply that they aren't the most cost effective. also, i'm guessing you are out of warranty in which case the dinan stuff doesn't really benefit you.

Wow, fast response. Expensive is right. I spoke to Dinan authorized dealer. They wanna charge me 2500 for the products I mentioned with installation.

imolazhp_ci 10-25-2008 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bimmer Dude Xi (Post 8756427)
Wow, fast response. Expensive is right. I spoke to Dinan authorized dealer. They wanna charge me 2500 for the products I mentioned with installation.

yeah. that's half a supercharger right there.

netengwiz 10-25-2008 10:18 PM

Twice a year or so, Dinan runs a discount on their stuff. That's the time to buy. Sometimes it's 20% off and at one point they had 50% off. You just have to keep checking their website for the specials. It's usually in the Spring or early Summer. I bought when they had a special...

Bimmer Dude Xi 10-25-2008 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by netengwiz (Post 8757432)
Twice a year or so, Dinan runs a discount on their stuff. That's the time to buy. Sometimes it's 20% off and at one point they had 50% off. You just have to keep checking their website for the specials. It's usually in the Spring or early Summer. I bought when they had a special...

What did you buy from Dinan?

netengwiz 10-25-2008 11:02 PM

The new intake kit and stage 2 s/w. I have other stuff on my car like pulleys, headers, exhaust. Dinan has quality products and I'm happy with it. My main reason for choosing them is that they are local and if I ever had any issues, it's not a issue to drop by their shop.

Bimmer Dude Xi 10-25-2008 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by netengwiz (Post 8757563)
The new intake kit and stage 2 s/w. I have other stuff on my car like pulleys, headers, exhaust. Dinan has quality products and I'm happy with it. My main reason for choosing them is that they are local and if I ever had any issues, it's not a issue to drop by their shop.

how much of a difference did the intake and software make?

netengwiz 10-25-2008 11:19 PM

I felt the difference with just the intake and software, but it's by no means mind blowing. The best way I can describe it is that it drives like it should have from the factory. I know that sounds weird, but my first thought was "this is how it shoulda felt straight from the factory".

As I said previously, I expanded on that and did pulleys, headers, and exhaust and those changes are far more significant. So what I would suggest is if you are staying non-FI, then you should plan ahead to go beyond just the Dinan parts.

Bimmer Dude Xi 10-25-2008 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by netengwiz (Post 8757615)
I felt the difference with just the intake and software, but it's by no means mind blowing. The best way I can describe it is that it drives like it should have from the factory. I know that sounds weird, but my first thought was "this is how it shoulda felt straight from the factory".

As I said previously, I expanded on that and did pulleys, headers, and exhaust and those changes are far more significant. So what I would suggest is if you are staying non-FI, then you should plan ahead to go beyond just the Dinan parts.

Well on doing the Dinan intake air box, throttle body, stage engine software, Transmission software. Super Sprint full exhaust with headers as well. Thinking about doing UUC pullies and maybe Technik Camshafts. That pretty much maxing out the NA upgrades unless I do block internal work such as crank, rods and piston from a 330 if its possible doing. Pretty much my own stroker kit but its only a theory of mine.

netengwiz 10-25-2008 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bimmer Dude Xi (Post 8757636)
Well on doing the Dinan intake air box, throttle body, stage engine software, Transmission software. Super Sprint full exhaust with headers as well. Thinking about doing UUC pullies and maybe Technik Camshafts. That pretty much maxing out the NA upgrades unless I do block internal work such as crank, rods and piston from a 330 if its possible doing. Pretty much my own stroker kit but its only a theory of mine.

Now that's the way to do it :drool:

Bimmer Dude Xi 10-25-2008 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by netengwiz (Post 8757656)
Now that's the way to do it :drool:

Question about your pullies, on replacing the power steering pully, does it make it harder to park? I hear replacing to under driven pullies make it harder to parallel park.

netengwiz 10-26-2008 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bimmer Dude Xi (Post 8757673)
Question about your pullies, on replacing the power steering pully, does it make it harder to park? I hear replacing to under driven pullies make it harder to parallel park.

I have the Evosport pullies and I have to honestly say I can't feel a difference with the steering.

Bimmer Dude Xi 10-26-2008 01:38 AM

Also another idea i have is removing the fan and fan clutch. Then install a high CFM electric fan. Problem is, I dunno where to get the signal to turn on the fan.

I think i'm gonna have to make or get a harness for that with a thermo switch tap in somewhere to the cooling system.

This should free up HP as well.

What you think?

Transporter99 10-26-2008 01:48 AM

Though my M52TU engine won't support what you mentioned, I've been happy with my Dinan S2 software and intake. And those I've chatted with that had the M54 with the items you mentioned, really seemed to like them.

Bimmer Dude Xi 10-26-2008 01:57 AM

Cool.

I'm trying to extract as much power out this engine with going into heavy performance product such as FI or Nitrous. I'm trying to keep it NA.

AngelsNeverLose 11-14-2008 03:03 PM

for the price of everything youve said, you could almost get a supercharger, or could get one... wouldn't that be smarter in a way? you get more bang for the same buck, and supercharger is still very reliable ive heard as long as you dont overboost them, or the engine (like 6lb boost / 8lbs tops)?

2000_328CI 11-14-2008 03:04 PM

facepalm

aggieE46 11-14-2008 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000_328CI (Post 8892251)
facepalm

:)

Bimmer Dude Xi 11-14-2008 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelsNeverLose (Post 8892246)
for the price of everything youve said, you could almost get a supercharger, or could get one... wouldn't that be smarter in a way? you get more bang for the same buck, and supercharger is still very reliable ive heard as long as you dont overboost them, or the engine (like 6lb boost / 8lbs tops)?

I'm not going that route. I been reading a lot of supercharger with automatic transmission problems on here. Definitely not looking forward to the problems.
I'm reconsidering of not doing any motor mods now because of the fact of over priced products with little to no kick. I'll do intake and cat back exhaust. I'm sticking with the looks.