E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Home Improvement (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   What Reasonably Priced Sound System to go with Bravia 1080P LCD? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=619302)

46_coupe 10-25-2008 07:12 PM

What Reasonably Priced Sound System to go with Bravia 1080P LCD?
 
Hey guys, finally biting the bullet and getting a 52" Bravia from Sony. I need a soundsystem to go with it. I'm looking for a STELLAR sound system for a great price.

Brands I Prefer:
-Bose
-Klipsch
-Yamaha

I'm looking for something that supports 1080P, and hopefully around $500.

I'm a pretty big hdtv noob but I've used Klipsch as a computer sound system for years and I LOVE it. My father has always favoured Bose so I would like some feedback from the hi-def fanatics here.

What do you guys think? Do you think I could get a decent sound system for $500?

Thanks:thumbsup:

mimalmo 10-25-2008 10:04 PM

No. You can get something that makes sound for $500 but, something that sounds good and supports 1080p over HDMI ain't gonna happen. Go look at the Denon AVR1909. 1080p support, decodes newest surround formats found on BluRay AND it sounds good. You will still need speakers to go with it though.

Lastly, Klipsch is OK if you like their sound but, Bose is a joke. Read this from a couple years ago. http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

chris98891 10-25-2008 10:36 PM

this system never ceases to blow my mind. i would go with klipsch over denon's sound 100%. dont forget, there is alot of markup on speakers to go see if you can pull your local circuit city on a string for the sale. http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/bundl...bundleId=20278

this system shakes the entire store.

46_coupe 10-25-2008 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mimalmo (Post 8757380)
No. You can get something that makes sound for $500 but, something that sounds good and supports 1080p over HDMI ain't gonna happen. Go look at the Denon AVR1909. 1080p support, decodes newest surround formats found on BluRay AND it sounds good. You will still need speakers to go with it though.

Lastly, Klipsch is OK if you like their sound but, Bose is a joke. Read this from a couple years ago. http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

Wow, thanks for the link! Other than the denon, do you know if there would be anything in the sub $1000 range that would meet my needs?


Quote:

Originally Posted by chris98891 (Post 8757490)
this system never ceases to blow my mind. i would go with klipsch over denon's sound 100%. dont forget, there is alot of markup on speakers to go see if you can pull your local circuit city on a string for the sale. http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/bundl...bundleId=20278

this system shakes the entire store.

I would KILL to have a system like that setup but I dont' want to blow too much money on this multimedia setup since I won't be spending THAT much time using it.

Do you guys think there is a SUBSTANTIAL difference between a 1080p supporting sound system and one that isn't? Maybe I'll just get a regular home theatre setup from klipsch?

Here's an Ad I found in my local craigslist for a yamaha sound system (I'm a noob so I have no idea if it's a POS or what, but it's "1080p" and $500):

With its small cube speakers, Yamaha's YHT290B home theatre delivers big sound. It's ideal for home theatre enthusiasts who want true surround sound without sacrificing their living space. The unit has 2 HDMI inputs and 1 output that supports up to 1080p high definition video, so you can enjoy everything that high definition technology has to offer.

SPECIFICATIONS
# of Speakers in Package, Including Subwoofer- 6
2-Way Centre Speakers - No
2-Way Main Speakers - No
2-Way Rear Speakers - No
Component Video Input/Output - 3 Inputs, 1 Output
Disc Capacity - None
Dolby Digital EX - No
Dolby Digital Surround Sound - Yes
Dolby Pro Logic II - Yes
Dolby Pro Logic Surround - Yes
DTS Decoder - Yes
DTS ES - No
Frequency Response 30Hz - 25KHz
Front-Panel A/V Inputs - Yes
Headphone Jack - Yes
Hook Up Wires Included - Yes
Included In Box - Speakers, Manual, Wiring
Includes DVD Player - No
Magnetically Shielded - Yes
Multiroom Capability - No
On-Screen Display - No
Preamp Outputs - No
Product Warranty - 2 Year Parts & Labour
Product Weight - 20.6 kg
Progressive Scan DVD - No
Remote Type - Preset
S-Video In/Out - No
Speaker Colour - Black
Stereo Audio Inputs/Outputs - 5 Inputs/2 Outputs
Subwoofer Colour - Black
Subwoofer Power - 100 Watts
Subwoofer Size - 6.5"
System Colour - Black
THX Select - No
THX Ultra II - No
Total System Power, Including Subwoofer - 600 Watts
Video Monitor Output - 2

GlockMan 10-26-2008 08:56 AM

I think you are crazy to have Bose, Stellar, and $500 in the same paragraph.

mimalmo 10-26-2008 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris98891 (Post 8757490)
i would go with klipsch over denon's sound 100%

Uh dude, Denon primarily makes receivers and Klipsch primarily makes speakers. Not sure how you can pick the Klipsch over the Denon when they are two different product categories. That's like saying that you like the picture on the OP's Sony TV better than the picture on your neighbors Samsung DVD player.

mimalmo 10-26-2008 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 46_coupe (Post 8757590)
Wow, thanks for the link! Other than the denon, do you know if there would be anything in the sub $1000 range that would meet my needs?


I would KILL to have a system like that setup but I dont' want to blow too much money on this multimedia setup since I won't be spending THAT much time using it.

Do you guys think there is a SUBSTANTIAL difference between a 1080p supporting sound system and one that isn't? Maybe I'll just get a regular home theatre setup from klipsch?

Here's an Ad I found in my local craigslist for a yamaha sound system (I'm a noob so I have no idea if it's a POS or what, but it's "1080p" and $500):

With its small cube speakers, Yamaha's YHT290B home theatre delivers big sound. It's ideal for home theatre enthusiasts who want true surround sound without sacrificing their living space. The unit has 2 HDMI inputs and 1 output that supports up to 1080p high definition video, so you can enjoy everything that high definition technology has to offer.


After 15+ years in the CE industry, Denon is what I own and what I sell.

1080p is only video. Sounded like your original post said you were looking for audio. 1080p is found primarily on BluRay. If you want to see true 1080p on that Sony TV, get BluRay. BluRay not only has the video improvement but, also added Dolby True HD audio and DTS HD Master audio. Within Denon's lineup, the AVR1909 is the first model that can internally decode these new surround formats. Substantial difference? Yes.

Regular home theater setup from Klipsch? Klipsch makes speakers, not receivers. They DO offer a couple of home theater-in-a-box (HTiB) type products but, that's about it.


That Yamaha system on CL you found is exactly the type of system most people buy.

It is a "surround system"
It is an improvement over the sound from the TV's speakers.
It does come from a decent brand (Yamaha)

The problem with HTiB systems for me can be understood with a car analogy.
Take a look at the new Hyundai Genesis. Hyundai likes to compare it to the BMW 550i. Feature for feature it appears to match the BMW. Leather seats - check. Navigation - check. V8 engine - check. You get the idea... Hyundai wants the public to believe that just because a car has as good or better features and performance on paper that it's a better car. Drive the two cars back to back though and it's game over. The BMW is a driver's car and the Hyundai is just a really nice Korean sedan. The same can be said for AV gear. Some very well known brands can check the feature list off but, the actual experience (sound & picture quality) cannot compare to the better brands available.

My advice? Don't try to do it all at once. Build your theater much like you would your car. You can't get every mod the same day you buy your car - right? Start with a good receiver a maybe a pair of bookshelf speakers that can later be moved to surround speakers when you buy the center and front mains.

chris98891 10-26-2008 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mimalmo (Post 8759054)
Uh dude, Denon primarily makes receivers and Klipsch primarily makes speakers. Not sure how you can pick the Klipsch over the Denon when they are two different product categories. That's like saying that you like the picture on the OP's Sony TV better than the picture on your neighbors Samsung DVD player.

yeah but i was talking about denon's speakers. hes looking for an entire home theater setup so when somebody mentions denon...im pretty sure they would have meant a denon home theater system, as the op isnt asking what receiver to get.

mimalmo 10-26-2008 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris98891 (Post 8759405)
yeah but i was talking about denon's speakers.

Which Denon speakers? Show me. Those HTiB's that Denon offers? I already addressed those in my post.

www.usa.denon.com


Quote:

Originally Posted by chris98891 (Post 8759405)
hes looking for an entire home theater setup so when somebody mentions denon...im pretty sure they would have meant a denon home theater system, as the op isnt asking what receiver to get.

Most home theater systems include a receiver. Unless you know of some different products that have 5 amplifiers and can switch multiple 1080p sources that I have never heard of before? My recommendation in my first post was to start with a good receiver and then I specifically pointed out that it didn't include speakers.

AChan10 10-27-2008 06:36 AM

just get bose and be happy with it

AChan10 10-27-2008 08:07 AM

ok seriously though...

With the price range you're looking for you won't be able to receive a "stellar" sound system.

Unless you want to buy your home theater separately (I would push you to go in this direction), your best bet is to buy something that all comes in a box (as mimalmo has kindly stated).

As he has stated as well I would start with a receiver first. Get something solid in your price range (Denon, Marantz, Onkyo) and start with two good front speakers. It took me 4 years to complete my system (trying to balance modding two cars), but I am very happy with it. Remember in the end it is what YOU enjoy (because you will be the one who hopefully using it the most). Good luck

46_coupe 10-28-2008 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glockman9c (Post 8759045)
I think you are crazy to have Bose, Stellar, and $500 in the same paragraph.

Care to recommend any other systems for me in that range? (Prepackaged 5.1 preferred)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mimalmo (Post 8759122)
After 15+ years in the CE industry, Denon is what I own and what I sell.

1080p is only video. Sounded like your original post said you were looking for audio. 1080p is found primarily on BluRay. If you want to see true 1080p on that Sony TV, get BluRay. BluRay not only has the video improvement but, also added Dolby True HD audio and DTS HD Master audio. Within Denon's lineup, the AVR1909 is the first model that can internally decode these new surround formats. Substantial difference? Yes.

Regular home theater setup from Klipsch? Klipsch makes speakers, not receivers. They DO offer a couple of home theater-in-a-box (HTiB) type products but, that's about it.


That Yamaha system on CL you found is exactly the type of system most people buy.

It is a "surround system"
It is an improvement over the sound from the TV's speakers.
It does come from a decent brand (Yamaha)

The problem with HTiB systems for me can be understood with a car analogy.
Take a look at the new Hyundai Genesis. Hyundai likes to compare it to the BMW 550i. Feature for feature it appears to match the BMW. Leather seats - check. Navigation - check. V8 engine - check. You get the idea... Hyundai wants the public to believe that just because a car has as good or better features and performance on paper that it's a better car. Drive the two cars back to back though and it's game over. The BMW is a driver's car and the Hyundai is just a really nice Korean sedan. The same can be said for AV gear. Some very well known brands can check the feature list off but, the actual experience (sound & picture quality) cannot compare to the better brands available.

My advice? Don't try to do it all at once. Build your theater much like you would your car. You can't get every mod the same day you buy your car - right? Start with a good receiver a maybe a pair of bookshelf speakers that can later be moved to surround speakers when you buy the center and front mains.

Fair enough, What I've decided is avoiding the whole blueray/1080p-top-of-the-line system right now, and just get a REALLY solid surround sound system for $500.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris98891 (Post 8759405)
yeah but i was talking about denon's speakers. hes looking for an entire home theater setup so when somebody mentions denon...im pretty sure they would have meant a denon home theater system, as the op isnt asking what receiver to get.

Yup, I'm not looking to piece together a system....I've decided to just go for a "really decent" system instead of a stellar one since I don't feel like dropping serious money on badboy sound that I will enjoy but thrice a month :rofl:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mimalmo (Post 8759552)
Which Denon speakers? Show me. Those HTiB's that Denon offers? I already addressed those in my post.
www.usa.denon.com

Most home theater systems include a receiver. Unless you know of some different products that have 5 amplifiers and can switch multiple 1080p sources that I have never heard of before? My recommendation in my first post was to start with a good receiver and then I specifically pointed out that it didn't include speakers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AChan10 (Post 8764288)
just get bose and be happy with it

Quote:

Originally Posted by AChan10 (Post 8764441)
ok seriously though...

With the price range you're looking for you won't be able to receive a "stellar" sound system.

Unless you want to buy your home theater separately (I would push you to go in this direction), your best bet is to buy something that all comes in a box (as mimalmo has kindly stated).

As he has stated as well I would start with a receiver first. Get something solid in your price range (Denon, Marantz, Onkyo) and start with two good front speakers. It took me 4 years to complete my system (trying to balance modding two cars), but I am very happy with it. Remember in the end it is what YOU enjoy (because you will be the one who hopefully using it the most). Good luck

While the 'piecing-together-a-system' is an option...I'd rather just get something I can enjoy right now and then replacing it all together in 3-4years. (I plan on giving this system to a family member at that point anyway)


What do you guys recommend for a surround sound system 5.1 that a non-audio-expert like myself would REALLY enjoy. Will be listening to a lot of music/bassy-stuff on this system along with 'action-flick' movies.


I really appreciate the expert opinions I'm getting here, I love how diverse this community really is!:thumbsup:

Dcha 10-28-2008 06:28 AM

Martin Logans

chris98891 10-28-2008 02:42 PM

Inexpensive stuff(dunno about quality): http://www.overstock.com/Electronics.../2167/cat.html

GlockMan 10-28-2008 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00'323i (Post 8772461)
Martin Logans

Whats he gonna do, buy a Martin Logan poster?

mimalmo 10-28-2008 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glockman9c (Post 8775429)
Whats he gonna do, buy a Martin Logan poster?


:rofl:

shockin330i 10-28-2008 06:16 PM

Yamaha > *

GlockMan 10-28-2008 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shockin330i (Post 8776184)
Yamaha > *

:rofl: now that is funny.

kaput 11-05-2008 11:58 AM

Onkyo makes a "decent" all in one 7.1 system for around $600. I am sure you can find one somewhere.

I said "decent" as in, way better than your TV, but not nearly as good as it could be. HDMI switching included, though 1080p support unsure about.

James330I 11-23-2008 08:27 AM

bite the bullet bro and spend a little money on a sound system. You've invested enough on a nice TV..do it justice by investing in good sound system. Spend some time at your local audio store, and listen to nice setups. maybe this will change your mind about your sound options :)

The thing is, most of the a/v gearheads will just laugh at your sound budget. Not one of us will be happy recommending you a system for less than $500, cos you know..we really don't pay attention to those. Some of the guys here will spend $500 just on cables alone.

We're better off just telling you to go to your local best buy and pick up the first system that is under $500. It will probably meet your needs. Onecall.com and vanns.com all have great selection of HTIBs (home theater in a box)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use