E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   ///M3 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Import a CSL??? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=625342)

stlnation 11-16-2008 11:50 PM

Import a CSL???
 
Has anyone ever imported a CSL from the UK? I have seen people import nissan skylines.. figure it could be done with a csl all the same?

funkedelic 11-17-2008 07:20 AM

nope not possible

dfjaws 11-17-2008 07:37 AM

nothing is impossible... if you've got the $, there are ways

phrozen06 11-17-2008 07:47 AM

agreed. If you have the funds it can be done. Or just convert a standard E46 ///M into one. You can source the parts necessary to do this.

Snik 11-17-2008 08:14 AM

what makes it so impossible?

i dont think its that hard to get it federalized.

in either case, it may be cheaper to build one. no?

overboostins4 11-17-2008 09:42 AM

I would think it would be cheaper to build one.

docwyte 11-17-2008 09:48 AM

It's extremely difficult to get a car federalized. If you have enough time and money, anything is possible, but it would be inordinately expensive.

Onurleft 11-17-2008 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkedelic (Post 8906180)
nope not possible

It's extremely possible and can be done very easily...seeing you have connections and money to do it. It's no harder to get federalized than an R34 or a TVR Tuscan...There are several JDM and rare euro cars around Atlanta that are tagged and titled. The myth behind the CSL is they are still selling used for 60k U.S. Do you want to pay $60,000+ for a used E46 smg and another 5 grand to get it here...Nah.

carlchristian 11-17-2008 11:17 AM

Whats so special about the CSL to pay 60k? Does it come standard with a Stage 3 HPF Turbo?

Mahjik 11-17-2008 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onurleft (Post 8906805)
There are several JDM and rare euro cars around Atlanta that are tagged and titled.

Local and federal laws are two different things. Just because you can get something titled in your area doesn't necessarily make it legal with federal/DOT laws. This is why "titled" JDM cars in some areas like California have been seized and crushed.



Basically, the legal way to do it is to get BMW to create a document which demonstrates that the CSL has the same safety and other DOT requirements as the standard E46 M3...... or crash a few for DOT tests.

///M3Turk 11-17-2008 11:25 AM

i think it's possible :dunno:

smolck 11-17-2008 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlchristian (Post 8906873)
Whats so special about the CSL to pay 60k? Does it come standard with a Stage 3 HPF Turbo?

Nope. Just lighter, SMG only, no useable trunk (cause it is a cardboard floor) and no real creature comforts. Basically a radical race car in street trim. You can search you tube for "Top Gear M3 CSL" and see all about it with Jeremy Clarkson. :thumbsup:

phat///M3 11-17-2008 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smolck (Post 8906947)
no useable trunk (cause it is a cardboard floor)

Not true :hi:

bryce86 11-17-2008 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smolck (Post 8906947)
Nope. Just lighter, SMG only, no useable trunk (cause it is a cardboard floor) and no real creature comforts. Basically a radical race car in street trim. You can search you tube for "Top Gear M3 CSL" and see all about it with Jeremy Clarkson. :thumbsup:

Cracks me up everytime, Clarkson just appeals to the masses. The boot isnt cardboard, only thing that I think is close it maybe the lining that you lift to get to tyre pump / locking nut etc. Otherwise mine would be awfully soggy here in Scotland.

I have no creature comforts, but the majority (around 80%) came with xenons / climate control / pdc / auto wipers / cd player. i like to think mine is a 'real' CSL :craig: Many use them everyday, there no less comfy than a stock M3 IMO, the seats are lush!

Its an amazing car, and they are still fetching $60k here. But when you lot can get a decent Porka for that money - its probably not worth it. (FYI, here a used (ie 2yo, 6k mile) 997 GT3 are around $150k)

stlnation 11-17-2008 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlchristian (Post 8906873)
Whats so special about the CSL to pay 60k? Does it come standard with a Stage 3 HPF Turbo?



bet you'd still be jealous if i was driving one :yikes:






much love:pimpin:

carlchristian 11-17-2008 02:25 PM

I could care less what u drive. A car your parents buy you doesn't make you a man.

E92M 11-17-2008 02:44 PM

I thought the only/best way to get one imported is to have the transmission shipped separately from the rest of the car into the states. Then have the transmission professionally installed in the CSL, and have it imported under the category of a "kit car".

:hi: :D,
-Chris

NOVAbimmer 11-17-2008 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bryce86 (Post 8907721)
Cracks me up everytime, Clarkson just appeals to the masses. The boot isnt cardboard, only thing that I think is close it maybe the lining that you lift to get to tyre pump / locking nut etc. Otherwise mine would be awfully soggy here in Scotland.

I have no creature comforts, but the majority (around 80%) came with xenons / climate control / pdc / auto wipers / cd player. i like to think mine is a 'real' CSL :craig: Many use them everyday, there no less comfy than a stock M3 IMO, the seats are lush!

Its an amazing car, and they are still fetching $60k here. But when you lot can get a decent Porka for that money - its probably not worth it. (FYI, here a used (ie 2yo, 6k mile) 997 GT3 are around $150k)

^^^next time I'm in scotland, can I take Your car for a test-drive?

:jealous:

E92M 11-17-2008 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bryce86 (Post 8907721)
Cracks me up everytime, Clarkson just appeals to the masses. The boot isnt cardboard, only thing that I think is close it maybe the lining that you lift to get to tyre pump / locking nut etc. Otherwise mine would be awfully soggy here in Scotland.

I've got to admit, I was convinced he was serious when I saw that episode.

I got called out a while back on it and felt like an idiot :rofl: :(.

:lmao:,
-Chris

bryce86 11-17-2008 03:26 PM

^^ No one drives my car... But I'll take you a spin fo sho :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use