E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   No Boost (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=627005)

lrogers80 11-22-2008 06:45 PM

No Boost

Can anyone help me out here? AA is closed for the weekend. I got my kit installed. Car idles perfectly supercharger blows air, but car never goes into boost at idle vacuum is -20 and goes up to 0 at full or partial throttle.

I don't feel this 100 HP. I don't hear or feel any leaks. I removed the Intercooler and reved the engine. I could feel the air from blower (driver side) and I can feel the sucking on the passenger side with intercooler off. Something isn't right. SuperCharger sound really nice, but no boost or power to match. Please Help Any thoughts?

My 323i does not have a fuel pressure regulator if that helps AA said I didn't need it.

Thanks.

beanfree 11-22-2008 07:02 PM

Centrifugal superchargers make most of their power on top. Drive the car in second and merge onto a highway. That way you can rev it up high and see if you can feel the power.

They also say it takes a few miles for the software to adapt. When I first drove my car it did not feel very quick. Follow the break in period.

lrogers80 11-22-2008 07:07 PM

Break-in ?

AA and their instructions, which were very very very very very poor, said nothing about breaking the software or car in. How many miles before my gauge should see boost?

If anything the car feels slower...

sataraid 11-22-2008 08:46 PM

How many miles have you put on the car with S/Cer running??

lrogers80 11-22-2008 09:30 PM

not much...

I put about 3 miles

sataraid 11-22-2008 09:53 PM

Yeah, you definately need to drive the car. The software needs time to adapt. Drive you car around. Dont go beyond 5000 rpms for 100 miles. Then call AA Monday if you dont see any improvement.

lrogers80 11-22-2008 11:20 PM

Break in...

Oh really? I already went past that several times today and didn't feel the boost. How do you guys know about this little bit of information. I spoke to Craig from AA many times and never did he mention this break in adaptation period nor does the install manaul say this. Can someone tell me if this is in fact true?

Activ3 11-23-2008 12:47 AM

You have a boost gauge installed and it's not moving past 0 at all?

lrogers80 11-23-2008 01:03 AM

Correct. At Idle it goes to -20, then when I drive and get up to 5-6 RPM it goes up to 0 and no further. I double check for leaks, but can't find any every hose is on tight. I disconnected the hose connected to the throttle body and the idle starting jumping up and down, but when I connected it back idle was perfect again. It just seems to me that I should be feeling some kind of boost unless the computer really is managing this.

docwyte 11-23-2008 01:24 AM

You have a leak somewhere. If you're hard on the throttle in the upper ranges of the tach, you should see boost. There is no "break in" period for the supercharger. It will make boost right out of the box, the ECU has no control over the boost level.

lrogers80 11-23-2008 01:30 AM

Now that's what I was thinking, but at what point could I have this leak? I removed the intercooler to test both sides. Driver side has pressure and passenger side has suction. I blew air into the passenger side and it was tight no air would go through. I placed my hand on the driver side and the supercharger was trying to push my hand away no leak in the upper area. So where could a leak be? Even if it was a little leak should I see a little boost?

Maestroxl 11-23-2008 03:06 AM

Maybe something is blocked?
piece of paper in the intercooler maybe or something like that.

sataraid 11-23-2008 03:57 AM

Can you place your air filter on the hose connected to the S/Cer?? Try to bypass intercooler and see if you get boost.

blackbeard 11-23-2008 04:40 AM

somethigns off, a supercharger(as stated earlier) will perform right out of the box, you should have boost immediately, now is your gauge a vacume gauge or boost gauge? because a boost gauge wont go to -20. your engine vacume will be negative as its a steady suction created by the engine crankcase that sucks on your brake booster and will control some other aspects.

lrogers80 11-23-2008 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestroxl (Post 8945464)
Maybe something is blocked?
piece of paper in the intercooler maybe or something like that.

This is exactly what I thought and that's why I removed the Intercooler and blew air into it from one side and air does come out and when i block one side and blow into it air will not come out so there isn't a leak from the intercooler it self.

My gauge is both vacuum on one side and boost on the other. At idle the needle is at the vacuum side and when I drive it does move to 0 but never passes 0.

Could I have a bad check valve?

lrogers80 11-23-2008 09:48 AM

Vacuum...

1 Attachment(s)
Here's an image of the boost gauge. I thought it was at -20 yesterday, but today it's at 11-12

I just got drove about 22miles on the hwy and I am not getting 29.5 MPG. I useto get 26. Car feels good, I got up to 100MPH at 5k RPM and it still never went pass the 0 mark on this gauge.

Attachment 293012

docwyte 11-23-2008 10:10 AM

You sure the boost gauge is hooked up properly?

lrogers80 11-23-2008 12:30 PM

Yes, I have it connected to a plugged up vacuum port behind the intake manifold. It's sucking vacuum I can feel it. I had the car running while I was redirecting the line into the car and my check engine light came on. I read the codes and they were:

Oxygen Sensor Adaption Limit & Secondary air system flow too low and EVAP capillary leak (0.5mm) detected

I figured the first two codes came on because the vacuum line to the boost gauge was disconnected while I was routing it into the car. I reset the codes and the check engine light did not come back on, but before I had the charger installed I use to get the "EVAP capillary leak (0.5mm) detected" code I could never figure out what was causing this code to put up every now and then, but the check engine light never came on for this code.

BimmerDude18 11-23-2008 12:39 PM

Where is the boost gauge tapped in? By that, I mean is the vacuum line actually connecting to the intake manifold, or to a hose that is rerouted during install to be before the supercharger.

Pictures of the install could be helpful as well. Try to capture as much of the piping as possible, sometimes something simple can be the issue.

derek0606 11-23-2008 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lrogers80 (Post 8946269)
Yes, I have it connected to a plugged up vacuum port behind the intake manifold. It's sucking vacuum I can feel it. I had the car running while I was redirecting the line into the car and my check engine light came on. I read the codes and they were:

Oxygen Sensor Adaption Limit & Secondary air system flow too low and EVAP capillary leak (0.5mm) detected

I figured the first two codes came on because the vacuum line to the boost gauge was disconnected while I was routing it into the car. I reset the codes and the check engine light did not come back on, but before I had the charger installed I use to get the "EVAP capillary leak (0.5mm) detected" code I could never figure out what was causing this code to put up every now and then, but the check engine light never came on for this code.

Those codes may come back.... Give it some miles before you scratch this off your list.