E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Window went down, never came back up (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=628365)

oowhisperoo 11-27-2008 11:32 PM

Window went down, never came back up

So on a cold night last week, I went to pick up a friend. Pulled up out front, rolled down the passenger window to yell out something smart, then went to roll it back up, and nothing happened...

After a cold ride home, I pulled the door panel apart to get a closer look at what was happening (and get the window back up manually). Upon disassembly of the panel, I found that the motor was still functional, but (get this) it only turned in one direction. If i pushed the button to roll the window up, the motor spun clockwise. If i pushed the button to roll the window down, the motor spun clockwise. Really weird. So I've disabled the button (pulled the power to the motor), and manually raised the window.

My troubleshooting is leading me to suspect a faulty window switch - anyone have any ideas/experience with an issue like this? I couldn't find anything on the forums.

Also, anyone interested in a straight-up trade? My 330ci with a busted passenger window, for your low mileage alpine white m3 convertible :drool: . Just throwing it out there...

eneka 11-28-2008 12:03 AM

window regulator?

ProchaineStation 11-28-2008 12:22 AM

if there was snow on your window then water got in ...

//TRD power 11-28-2008 01:21 AM

could be either a faulty switch or a faulty motor.

//TRD power 11-28-2008 01:22 AM

JoeVert 11-28-2008 12:30 PM

CTD 11-28-2008 12:33 PM

Could be either a faulty switch or a faulty motor.

BMW_Matt 11-28-2008 12:34 PM

Handsome Kev 11-28-2008 12:38 PM

Shrimpjuiceo3 11-28-2008 02:17 PM

Similar situation happened to me and it turned out to be the window regulator! If you do a DIY search you'll find great instructions on how to repair it! I took mine to the stealer and it costs nearly $400!!!!

tech323ci 11-28-2008 02:45 PM

if you have a multimeter you can test the voltage to your switch, and after your switch. if its good there than its the motor.

scott0482 11-28-2008 03:04 PM

had an old audi that would do that, if you rolled the window all the way down it wouldn't come back up unless you pulled the switch out and shorted the "up" pins with a paperclip.. fun times..
i got a new switch at a junkyard and fixed it.

brewster240 11-28-2008 03:22 PM

could be a swtich or motor.

most likely switch.

oowhisperoo 11-29-2008 10:37 AM

Thx all. Funnily enough the actual switch for that window has been a bit loose. Have ordered a replacement which should be at home when I return.

Is it possible for something in the motor to "go" in a way that would make it only spin in one direction? It still operates perfectly normally when rolling the window down, but when I pull it to roll the window back up, it just rolls down further, same speed.

Got the window jimmied up so its closed (not tucked under though, the motor does that once the door's closed) and disabled the switch, but the wind whistle at highway speeds is gonna kill me on my 12 hr drive home (PA to ATL) Monday :(

Rayce185 11-29-2008 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skittl3s (Post 8974787)

Quote:

Originally Posted by skittl3s (Post 8974788)

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeVert (Post 8976137)

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTD (Post 8976139)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMW_Matt (Post 8976142)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handsome Kev (Post 8976151)

:lmao:

Arsevader 11-29-2008 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oowhisperoo (Post 8980456)
Thx all. Funnily enough the actual switch for that window has been a bit loose. Have ordered a replacement which should be at home when I return.

if it's the switch couldn't you just use another window switch in your car to get the window up?

MikeBinTX 12-21-2008 03:34 PM

i had a similar experience. After replacing the relays, then the window regulator I was fixing to replace the motor, :bawling:but then I noticed it turned one way only. :idea:The Bentley manual doen't help much here but after figuring how the switch works I shorted out the pins that make it roll back up and could roll the window up.
The other switch for the passenger side has a different teminal connector so I couldn't swap them over.

I read a lot of posts where people had the same problem - motor only turns one way. But nobody explained about the switch.

Anyway hope this helps someone else.

//TRD power 12-21-2008 06:06 PM

lmao @ the repeats.

Jazzstratus 12-28-2009 03:02 PM

Im having the same problem . The window will roll down but i hear the motor running and it will not roll back up ... interesting but i have yet to find a solution

plmskier 12-28-2009 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazzstratus (Post 11095522)
Im having the same problem . The window will roll down but i hear the motor running and it will not roll back up ... interesting but i have yet to find a solution

I'd put money on a regulator...I've had to replace both rear window regulators and my front right is starting to click. In both of my rear windows, the cables/plastic parts broke and cable was all tangled so it would go down but so tangled it would not go back up. I bought both of mine off ebay, been over a yr and they still work fine. 30-40 min job depending on skill.