E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Home Improvement (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Monoprice mounts! (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=631230)

'busa 12-08-2008 08:06 PM

Monoprice mounts!

On AVSforum, I've seen a lot of people use monoprice mounts. They seem to be pretty good value for the money.

Comments? Suggestions?

blownE30M3 12-08-2008 11:24 PM

You nailed it. Good product at a cheap rate. If you dont want to go with the higher cost Omni, Promount, or Chief mounts, monoprice is an acceptable retailer for ya.

'busa 12-09-2008 12:10 AM

Awesome. I'll probably narrow down my choices and post them here. I'm not sure whether to get one that tilts up and down only or one that 'telescopes' out and turns side to side. :hmm:

blownE30M3 12-09-2008 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hayabusa55 (Post 9037640)
Awesome. I'll probably narrow down my choices and post them here. I'm not sure whether to get one that tilts up and down only or one that 'telescopes' out and turns side to side. :hmm:

Well it depends on the application for sure. I've found that for the most part with fixed furniture in a semi-closed room ( normal living room, billiards room, library ) that just a tilt mount will be fine.

The most typical uses for the turning mounts are for smaller displays to be viewed from two different rooms. For instance, a display mounted in a kitchen that can be turned to the morning room.

Take a picture, let us be the judge. :thumbsup:

Dcha 12-09-2008 06:39 AM

What if I just want a fixed, tilted slightly downwards mount for a 58. Can monoprice help me?

Dcha 12-09-2008 06:41 AM

Well, hell. At that price I might as well get a swivel so I can watch it while I'm in the kitchen.

Owtlaw333 12-09-2008 06:54 AM

I use my 40" as my computer monitor 90%of the time, but when I watch a movie or TV it's nice to move it over and tilt it down so I can watch it from my bed. So the fully adjustable was appropriate.

The 60", however, is in the living room and is viewed from 10-12ft away on the couches and having the TV flush with the wall was ideal so a fixed mount was the choice for that one.

The tilting mount is odd to me and is really only appropriate if you intend on mounting your TV up high (which I despise) and a fixed mount won't tilt down to your liking. Unless you like sitting on the ground and the couch maybe? :dunno: If you're anal about the TV sticking out of the wall, get a fixed mount. If you want adjustability, get a fully adjustable. I think the need for just vertical tilt is a special case thing :dunno:

'busa 12-09-2008 07:02 AM

I'll get a flusher mount with the tilting versus the left-right swiveling one? Makes sense.

All-in-all, the TV would probably only be watched from one direction, unless I was really lazy and decided to pass out in a different part of the room.

I was just wondering if the extra $20-30 is worth it.

Here's my condo renovation thread in case you haven't seen it: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=619117

I haven't gotten to the TV install yet, but I need to determine location and mounting soon, so that I can work on the walls.

Owtlaw333 12-09-2008 07:11 AM

Is the room with the deck (or whatever that is) the one that's getting the TV? If so, I 'd get a fully adjustable so you can watch from ouside (assuming there's a lounging area.) Otherwise one of the other options may be just fine.

And yes, the fully adjustables have more hardware so they stick out more than the others. Fixed mount is the way to go though if you want it to look really good.

'busa 12-09-2008 07:19 AM

I think I'll be going with fixed. They give me +/- 15 deg of adjustment which should be enough. Plus they're cheaper and less of a load on the wall.

Any recommendations as far as height? I plan on getting a 50" Panny and I want to mount it so that when I'm standing in front of it, I'd have to get on my toes to see the top of the TV.

Owtlaw333 12-09-2008 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hayabusa55 (Post 9038952)
I think I'll be going with fixed. They give me +/- 15 deg of adjustment which should be enough. Plus they're cheaper and less of a load on the wall.

Any recommendations as far as height? I plan on getting a 50" Panny and I want to mount it so that when I'm standing in front of it, I'd have to get on my toes to see the top of the TV.

I personally like my TVs to be roughly eye level when I'm upright on the couch. At the very most I'd have the bottom 1/3 of the TV at eye level. But for some reason (which I'm still confused about) many other's prefer their TVs to be higher up. Bugs the crap out of me though.

'busa 12-09-2008 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owtlaw333 (Post 9041892)
I personally like my TVs to be roughly eye level when I'm upright on the couch. At the very most I'd have the bottom 1/3 of the TV at eye level. But for some reason (which I'm still confused about) many other's prefer their TVs to be higher up. Bugs the crap out of me though.

Got a pic?

TV's that are hung low make me feel like they're sitting on whatever home entertainment center they're above, except with the feet removed.

How's this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...1&format=6#faq

'busa 12-10-2008 02:02 PM

Well? What do you think of the mount?

Owtlaw333 12-10-2008 10:46 PM

I'll try to get a pic tomorrow.

Looks to be a decent mount. I'm not up to speed on the quality or anything, but if others have had good experience, I'd say go for it.

blownE30M3 12-10-2008 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hayabusa55 (Post 9046747)
Well? What do you think of the mount?

Man that is really cheap. Almost scary it might break cheap. It looks ok, but who knows really, as the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

'busa 12-11-2008 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blownE30M3 (Post 9049439)
Man that is really cheap. Almost scary it might break cheap. It looks ok, but who knows really, as the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

I'll let you know. I ordered it plus some HDMI cables and an HDMI-DVI cable. I need the mount before I paint the walls, so I can do all the cuts, finish the wall, and then paint.

The reviews on it seem good, and on avsforum, a lot of people seem to be using these. Not only that, but they're using the articulating mounts, which I personally find kind of risky. So, we'll see. I'm sure at a distance of 1"-2" from the wall, this should be more than enough.

TX330ci 12-11-2008 11:56 AM

just ordered a pan/tilt model from them for the bedroom so i can paint and get it thrown up at the new joint. i figure for the price you cant go wrong, especially with the space savings i gained by dumping the Bell'O

Owtlaw333 12-11-2008 05:48 PM

Don't mind the clutter... just look at the couch and TV, lol. This is pretty much the highest I'd ever want it. Bottom of the TV is 3ft off the ground with the center of it at 55in. TV is 60".
The base below the TV is being replaced by a wooden cabinet from Pioneer that is slightly taller.

Wide angle!!! :excited: haha
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...3/CRW_5077.jpg

'busa 12-12-2008 08:40 AM

That looks good, but it's a huge TV, so you can set it lower and it will still fill up a lot of the wall.

I'm was thinking about having my TV's top sit at about 66" or so (eye-level). The center of it would be at 50"-ish then. :dunno:

'busa 12-12-2008 09:30 PM

Alright... I took measurements and as it is, the imaginary TV is now centered vertically at 53". This is what it looks like:

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/3...ositionto8.jpg