E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Car Care & Detailing (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Light Marking After Detailing (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=636922)

stolidog 01-02-2009 03:54 PM

Light Marking After Detailing

The other day I helped a friend detail a 2001 S4 (Black). We did the standard, wash, clay, (with a PC 7424) Menzerna IP w/ orange pad followed by Menzerna FPII /w white pad. After that, Menzerna FTG using the black pad and P21S Wax by hand. We used fresh Microfiber towels after each product. The problem is... there are very light lines that show up in direct sunlight. I dont think they are buffer swirls or holograms because the lines are long and straight (not swirls or cobwebs). It looks like the marking was caused by the towels we used to wipe off the products. I'm just wondering how this could have happened or be prevented considering that we used fresh rags? Unless of course the final rag picked up some dirt somewhere along the way. Tips, advice, thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

DetailDan 01-02-2009 05:14 PM

Do they look anything like this? Can you get some pictures?

http://www.dndautodetailing.org/Touareg_IMG_2815.jpg

stolidog 01-02-2009 05:17 PM

I cant get any pictures because the car isnt at my house anymore. But from what I remember it looks like the horizontal marks in your picture... not the vertical ones.

328Ci2000 01-02-2009 05:28 PM

Do the towels have stitching? It could be polyester thread used in the stitching that caused the scratches.

stolidog 01-02-2009 05:32 PM

I thought about that, there is some stitching around the edges (not a different fabric lining the edges). And I've ripped off all the tags on the towels.

M0nk3y 01-02-2009 05:46 PM

Are you using microfiber towels?

Those look pretty harsh

DetailDan 01-02-2009 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M0nk3y (Post 9162208)
Are you using microfiber towels?

Those look pretty harsh

Are you talking to me? The marks in the picture are holograms.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stolidog (Post 9162071)
I cant get any pictures because the car isnt at my house anymore. But from what I remember it looks like the horizontal marks in your picture... not the vertical ones.

Its hard to tell without pictures. It could be marring from the orange or white pad, from when you applied the wax, or when you removed it. What brand towels did you use? Did you wipe the paint down with alcohol and inspect the it in sunlight PRIOR to applying the wax?

stolidog 01-02-2009 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DetailDan (Post 9162361)

Its hard to tell without pictures. It could be marring from the orange or white pad, from when you applied the wax, or when you removed it. What brand towels did you use? Did you wipe the paint down with alcohol and inspect the it in sunlight PRIOR to applying the wax?

Unfortunately no, its been raining here until today. Im pretty sure its not from the pads because of the nature of the marks. Straight swooping lines just like someone rubbed against it. The towels are not the greatest. They are Vroom towels from Target.

DetailDan 01-02-2009 06:49 PM

Hmm, a number of people use vroom towels and I havent heard of them leaving any markings. Wish I could be of more help. If there was some way you could get pictures that would be great.

M0nk3y 01-02-2009 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DetailDan (Post 9162361)

I'm sorry

I thought you were the OP....I didn't see your username

I was going to say those looked like holograms

DetailDan 01-02-2009 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M0nk3y (Post 9162543)
I'm sorry

I thought you were the OP....I didn't see your username

I was going to say those looked like holograms

Yep, compliments of the dealership. :cry:

Len013091 01-02-2009 07:13 PM

It might just be the oils left over from the wax. If you catch it in the light correctly,it'll looks like swirls. rub it with your finger when you get a chance and see if the lines change direction.

Ultim8-One 01-03-2009 09:49 AM

Could be that you didn't get all of the polish off before waxing. I did that the first time I did my car and had to take it back down with the finish polish and rewax. Though to tell w/o pics.

stolidog 01-03-2009 10:36 AM

Yeah, I really wish I had some pictures. The weather hasnt been all that great so my friend took the car home after we looked it over under the halogen then told me about it 2 days later when the sun finally came out. They also wiped the car down when they got it home... could have happened when they did that too.