E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   ST V1 & Hotchkis sways VS UUC STAGE 4 (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=641498)

love2drive330CI 01-19-2009 12:14 PM

ST V1 & Hotchkis sways VS UUC STAGE 4

I have researched out my :banghead:

Read some excellent articles/guidelines from JPR and others.

My priorities are:
Handling
Lowered a bit
Comfort at least same as stock sport package on my 330CI/step

I plan on going back into autocrossing soon. (I know these items will put me in different class--wond D stock back then very few in class but still a win:rofl:).

With that said, which set up offers what I am looking for that is better than the stock sports package, greatly reduce body roll and kinda puts me on "rails" between the 2 set ups i suggested?

ST V1 & Hotchkis sways VS UUC Stage 4

-Roughly $300 difference between the 2 set-ups
-Hotchkis seems the most popular and best for sways since they are larger offering bit more body roll ratio vs the smaller UUC sways
-ST V1 coilovers will give me the ability to adjust height
-ST V1 galvanized steel no problem concerning salt as I live in Florida
-UUC package deal saves dollars
-will I really need to adjust the height (on regular basis or autocrossing)

This will be with:
Meyle HD cab and retainers (I have 66mm set of Powerflex bushings already at home as back up--bought the wrong size but kept them)
Already have Meyle HD control arms
M3 RTAB (do I really need shims with these?)
RE RSM
(been reading about checking guibo, steering column mount, trans mount etc)

Again, i have read at least 50 threads(prob more) just want some feedback/direction.

Thanks.

Mike@F1 AutohaŘs 01-19-2009 12:52 PM

Go for the ST V1 & Hotchkis sway combo

I'm running KW v1 & UUC sways on mines

love2drive330CI 01-19-2009 08:36 PM

Thanks Mike. How does your set up feel compared to stock?

Mike@F1 AutohaŘs 01-19-2009 08:40 PM

With the KW v1, it feels like a brand new car again but too soft for auto-x. The sways makes the car feel more planted to the ground and and stiffens up the ride just right! I couldn't ask for more

Chris-TK 01-20-2009 03:31 AM

ST + Hotchikis = :drool:

love2drive330CI 01-20-2009 08:32 AM

So what would you say is the vast difference beside the ability to adjust height going from something like the UUC stage 4 or even the H&R cupkit vs the ST V1 coilovers?

So do you think the sways will help with the softness of the coilovers?

Thanks for your input.

hummer 01-20-2009 10:55 AM

Can't say which is right for you. But your changes look good until you throw in that COMFORT thing. It's either stock, mushy comfort or tight on rails handling! Even PSS9 on soft is very stiff compared to stock.

n2Bimmer 01-20-2009 11:02 AM

I my self have KW V2 and Hotchkis and i LOVE it. The reason why Mike feels that his kit is soft is because he doesnt have the ability to adjust the dampers, On the V2 you can adjust the ride stiffness. Regarding the RTAB shims, yes get them, if your changing your bushings you should do this, it take 30 seconds to put on.

n2Bimmer 01-20-2009 11:03 AM

Also you have to keep in mind that Hotchkis is the thickest because it is hollow, If this is going to be a Track only car you should get a solid bar maybe.

love2drive330CI 01-20-2009 11:52 AM

Great info, much appreciated.

The comfort was third...so the priorities before comfort come first! We always want it all...:craig:...so it is tight on rails for me.

Adjusting the dampers, I would have to go to V2..
I am trying to keep somewhat of a budget on this.

Thanks again for your input, it helps.

love2drive330CI 01-20-2009 12:06 PM

I noticed with all the researching/reading threads the variables are extensive.
Just saw this in another post on suspension:

H&R Race springs with Bilstein Sport dampers $850 (same drop as the Cup Kit with nicer adjustable dampers) (thanks to speeddemon comments)
How would this be comparted to the ST V1's?
Seems adjusting the height and the stiffness creates the best set up...of course as the dollars go up so does the variables offered "Motons".
Any other option I am missing that offers the V2 adjustables?

n2Bimmer 01-20-2009 12:26 PM

no matter what other kit you get the KW is going to be top notch, unless your car is going to be a all track car then your going to want to get Ground Control or TC Kline, Or Moton which is above all for the track.

Mike@F1 AutohaŘs 01-20-2009 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by love2drive330CI (Post 9262749)
So what would you say is the vast difference beside the ability to adjust height going from something like the UUC stage 4 or even the H&R cupkit vs the ST V1 coilovers?

So do you think the sways will help with the softness of the coilovers?

Thanks for your input.

The sways definitely help w/ the softness.

With an adjustable damper coilover, you can stiffen up the ride and all. It's great but keep in mind you're adding wear to the shocks as well. Something I hate but that's all on you.

And also, sways are adjustable. W/ my UUC sway setup, I'm running medium on the front, full stiff on the rears.