E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Ebay Headers Woes.... (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=644584)

MyKmYk 01-30-2009 04:00 PM

Ebay Headers Woes....
 
Ugh. So I love my Ebay headers. LOVE. But I know I wont pass my inspection. I have about 6 months left, so I've been gathering my options.

Went to this great local shop to see how much it would run me to get something legal in the cats/exhaust dept. He said it was not even possible.

As a result I've decided that I want to get an O2 sim. and just put in high flow racing cats with a new exuast setup. That should satisfy all the needs of the inspection, correct? I'm in Texas, btw. My local mechanic told me all this should work, but I wanted to run it by the knowledble people here 1st.

Thanks in advance.

KriTiKaL AspecT 01-30-2009 04:09 PM

Yea your in good shape going that route.

KriTiKaL AspecT 01-30-2009 04:17 PM

I just noticed your DFW. Will your car be sniffed? A high flow cat might not do the job.

I have three more months until my inspection. My o2 filters should passify my DME I just hope my resonator will mistaken for a cat.

TxZHP04 01-30-2009 04:23 PM

To my knowledge, they only sniff pre-OBDII cars around here.

aggieE46 01-30-2009 04:43 PM

Yeah, they'll just look to make sure your ready light is on and that you don't have an SES after it's started.

I feel your pain, man. It's not a fun situation.

MyKmYk 01-30-2009 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggieE46 (Post 9325027)
Yeah, they'll just look to make sure your ready light is on and that you don't have an SES after it's started.

I feel your pain, man. It's not a fun situation.

Tell me about it. I'm seriously considering just going back to stock headers. I figure you get about 8-10 horses from the headers, and my shop told me they can get me about the same effect and responsiveness (as headers) with a full custom exhaust setup that will easily pass emissions and sound great.

Maybe I can get someone local to help me do it myself..... :bawling: Oh how it hurts to love your car so.

SammyV 01-30-2009 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyKmYk (Post 9325531)
Tell me about it. I'm seriously considering just going back to stock headers. I figure you get about 8-10 horses from the headers, and my shop told me they can get me about the same effect and responsiveness (as headers) with a full custom exhaust setup that will easily pass emissions and sound great.

Maybe I can get someone local to help me do it myself..... :bawling: Oh how it hurts to love your car so.

i doubt you will get 10hp from a catback if you retain the cats.

MyKmYk 01-30-2009 10:28 PM

So from what my exhuast guy has said, the problem with O2 sims is that it will cause the car to run too lean on a regular basis, causing the car the get worse mileage. Additionally, it will cause the racing cats to fail prematurely should I have cats put on. So thats not too encouraging to me.

But all these issues are just so.....:banghead:!

netengwiz 01-30-2009 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyKmYk (Post 9326551)
Additionally, it will cause the racing cats to fail prematurely should I have cats put on.

If you get ceramic cats, yes. I would recommend metallic high flow cats like those sold from Magnaflow. That's what I have installed.

JohnBlaze 01-31-2009 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyKmYk (Post 9326551)
So from what my exhuast guy has said, the problem with O2 sims is that it will cause the car to run too lean on a regular basis, causing the car the get worse mileage. Additionally, it will cause the racing cats to fail prematurely should I have cats put on. So thats not too encouraging to me.

But all these issues are just so.....:banghead:!

The postcat O2's have nothing to do with running to rich or lean. It's the precat O2's readings that the on board computer uses to modify air fuel ratio. The postcat O2's are simply for emissions readings, or that's my understanding...

MyKmYk 01-31-2009 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vI6ous (Post 9328918)
The postcat O2's have nothing to do with running to rich or lean. It's the precat O2's readings that the on board computer uses to modify air fuel ratio. The postcat O2's are simply for emissions readings, or that's my understanding...

I hope your right. In that case I wouldnt mind going the O2 SIm route.
I need to get my car codes read. I just have the light at the moment. Also, if I try the defouler method how will I know its working? Do I need to install it, clear the codes, and then wait to see if the light comes on? Or should I clear the codes, install, and then start it up?

aggieE46 01-31-2009 10:22 PM

Mine netted about 20 to the wheels. I was sad to see them go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyKmYk (Post 9325531)
Tell me about it. I'm seriously considering just going back to stock headers. I figure you get about 8-10 horses from the headers, and my shop told me they can get me about the same effect and responsiveness (as headers) with a full custom exhaust setup that will easily pass emissions and sound great.

Maybe I can get someone local to help me do it myself..... :bawling: Oh how it hurts to love your car so.


MyKmYk 02-01-2009 10:58 AM

I'm going to try the defouler method soon. /you needs a 1/2" drill bit to make the sensor fit, correct?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use