E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   ATF Change..... (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=655072)

iDriftYou 03-07-2009 07:03 PM

ATF Change.....
 
So, I went under my car today and read the sticker, Green sticker and it said to only use OE Fluid P/N: 83229407807, but the sticker was green? Reading this pdf http://tech.bentleypublishers.com/se...4/B305_240.pdf , it says that it should be a blue sticker?
Now I'm pretty sure I have a ZF tranny, so im not gona buy Esso fluid, which is like 20$ a liter, Im going with Valvoline Mercon V Fully Synthetic, this guy used it http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=166135 , and says works very well. Now one more question, I have 100,345 Miles on my car, should I drain and refill 3 times, and put in the new filter the 3rd time, or should I put in the new filter the first time and then drain and refill 2 times more? Also, anyone buy a Bavauto Zf tranny filter kit? Does it come with a new Ring for the filter? Just wondering, thanks again guys :)

iDriftYou 03-07-2009 07:15 PM

:bump:

iDriftYou 03-07-2009 07:25 PM

no one? Seriously?

xylene 03-07-2009 10:34 PM

I got the GM 390R so I went with the Valvoline DexVi full synthetic. Couldn't work smoother. I did this a few weeks ago at 115K. This may not be perfect but its the way I did it... I did two simple pan drains and refills with about 50 miles in between each before I dropped the pan, cleaned it up, replaced the filter, and did the final refill.

When I did finally drop the pan, the fluid was really clean and majoity of the old stuff was out. The dex is so much cheaper than the oe stuff thats its affordable to really clean it up. Yeah, I"ve read lots of mixed reviews on straying from the esso with your ZF tranny, but if I was you...I would do it too. Go with Valv Mercron V that is.

Pleas be 100% sure with your tranny type...I was sure I had the ZF too until I got the gasket kit in and realized it didn't look anything like what I needed. I have a green tag on the side of my transmission, but it has GM stamped on it.

djnekkon 03-07-2009 10:38 PM

why not searching by the vin#

xylene 03-07-2009 10:43 PM

Yes, if you have any doubt at all on your tranny type...have you tried the VIN decode? Go here... http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi

iDriftYou 03-07-2009 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xylene (Post 9538135)
Yes, if you have any doubt at all on your tranny type...have you tried the VIN decode? Go here... http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi

Ill do that now thanks!

iDriftYou 03-07-2009 11:09 PM

Here's what I got: Chassis number ND45111
Vehicle code AN37
Series E46
Model 325i ( 325i M54 )
Body type saloon
Catalog model USA
Production date 2000 / 10
Engine M54
Transmission Unknown
Steering Left
Catalyzer YES


Additional Information for Vehicle code AN37
Production FROM : 2000/06/01 TO : 2002/02/28
Engine M54
Engine Oil 6.50 Liter
Transmission Automatic
Transmission Model A5S 325Z
Transmission Oil 8.90 Liter
Rear Axle Oil 1.00 Liter
Coolant(w/o Air Conditioner) 0.00 Liter
Coolant(with Air Conditioner) 8.40 Liter
Brake fluid 1.00 Liter
Remarks :
Final drive (rear axel), Automatic transmission: lifetime oil filing

xylene 03-07-2009 11:15 PM

Yep, your a Z. Good luck with that trans svc, let us know how it works out.

iDriftYou 03-07-2009 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xylene (Post 9538260)
Yep, your a Z. Good luck with that trans svc, let us know how it works out.

For sure, hopefully everything checks out, so I kinda didn't understand your story, did u say u bought 2 filters and changed the filter twice with in 50 miles? Or did u just buy 1 filter and change the fluid once, then changed it again along with the filter? thanks again. :thanks:

Lbert 03-07-2009 11:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by iDriftYou (Post 9537272)
So, I went under my car today and read the sticker, Green sticker and it said to only use OE Fluid P/N: 83229407807, but the sticker was green? Reading this pdf http://tech.bentleypublishers.com/se...4/B305_240.pdf , it says that it should be a blue sticker?
Now I'm pretty sure I have a ZF tranny, so im not gona buy Esso fluid, which is like 20$ a liter, Im going with Valvoline Mercon V Fully Synthetic, this guy used it http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=166135 , and says works very well. Now one more question, I have 100,345 Miles on my car, should I drain and refill 3 times, and put in the new filter the 3rd time, or should I put in the new filter the first time and then drain and refill 2 times more? Also, anyone buy a Bavauto Zf tranny filter kit? Does it come with a new Ring for the filter? Just wondering, thanks again guys :)

I have the same model and year, 325i, 2001. Attached is a picture of the same green label you described. I went with the Esso spec. In addition, the filter I got was for a ZF.

The guy you may be referring to the thread (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=166135) might be me. See my updated post on the same thread (see post #127) regarding Valvoline's Mercon V. In summary, I stopped using Mercon V. An alternate to the Esso is Mobil 1 ATF. Mobil1 now states on the newly reformulated ATF bottle that it meets the Esso spec.

xylene 03-07-2009 11:28 PM

just one filter change at the third and last fluid drain. The previous two, I just drained and refilled.

iDriftYou 03-07-2009 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lbert (Post 9538292)
I have the same model and year, 325i, 2001. Attached is a picture of the same green label you described. I went with the Esso spec. In addition, the filter I got was for a ZF.

The guy you may be referring to the thread (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=166135) might be me. See my updated post on the same thread (see post #127) regarding Valvoline's Mercon V. In summary, I stopped using Mercon V. An alternate to the Esso is Mobil 1 ATF. Mobil1 now states on the newly reformulated ATF bottle that it meets the Esso spec.

Thanks so much man, so M1 has a new atf formula? hmm, so either Castrol or M1 ATF, which to choose?

Sicily1918 03-08-2009 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iDriftYou (Post 9538233)
Here's what I got: Chassis number ND45111

Transmission Unknown

Additional Information for Vehicle code AN37
Production FROM : 2000/06/01 TO : 2002/02/28
Transmission Automatic
Transmission Model A5S 325Z

Transmission Oil 8.90 Liter

Anyone find that just a little sad? :)

Onto the topic, check the link under my sig -- I have the ZF and did two RedLine D4 changes so far (there was no need to do more on my car, as I was at 42K when I did the first time, 47K on the second, and I'm only at 55K now).

I would definitely change the filter the first time around. In fact, as expensive as it sounds, I would change everything the first time, put maybe 100 miles on it and do another change, then do another oil/filter change maybe 500 miles later (3rd change) -- you should be somewhere around 90% new oil by that point, and good to go.

BTW, I'm extremely happy with RedLine's D4 in both my tranny and power steering -- that's some good freakin' oil...

wasp9166 03-08-2009 10:26 AM

the sticker on pan is fluid, not type of tranny, that sticker is on side near rear of trans...............regardless, you cna use redline d4 no problem.............

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...n+fluid+change

kbok 03-08-2009 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wasp9166 (Post 9540102)
the sticker on pan is fluid, not type of tranny, that sticker is on side near rear of trans

+1 on this. Rather than guess which model you have or rely on VIN database, if you can see the sticker, then you can probably get to where you can see the plate on the tranny. You have to look on the side (not bottom) of the tranny, toward the rear. Use a trouble light or flashlight and look up at the side (driver's side in my case, 2005 325i, GM) in that area, should be on a stamped metal plate. Since its out of most of the road splash and grime it should be a lot easier to read.

01bim325 03-08-2009 02:54 PM

Be careful with the VIN decode database. According to that, I've got a ZF tranny, but it's wrong. I definitely have a GM tranny. Go by what's shown on the tranny.

iDriftYou 03-08-2009 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lbert (Post 9538292)
I have the same model and year, 325i, 2001. Attached is a picture of the same green label you described. I went with the Esso spec. In addition, the filter I got was for a ZF.

The guy you may be referring to the thread (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=166135) might be me. See my updated post on the same thread (see post #127) regarding Valvoline's Mercon V. In summary, I stopped using Mercon V. An alternate to the Esso is Mobil 1 ATF. Mobil1 now states on the newly reformulated ATF bottle that it meets the Esso spec.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01bim325 (Post 9540844)
Be careful with the VIN decode database. According to that, I've got a ZF tranny, but it's wrong. I definitely have a GM tranny. Go by what's shown on the tranny.

So where exactly is the Stamp located? On the back of the transmission facing the rear?

wasp9166 03-08-2009 03:09 PM

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/9042/p307000301.jpg

wasp9166 03-08-2009 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01bim325 (Post 9540844)
be careful with the vin decode database. According to that, i've got a zf tranny, but it's wrong. I definitely have a gm tranny. Go by what's shown on the tranny.

+100000000000000


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use