E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Headers Installed....now how do I get rid of the rasp! (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=655822)

Superhiro 03-10-2009 08:54 AM

Headers Installed....now how do I get rid of the rasp! - UPDATED - Video added.

Ok, so last weekend some friends and I installed a set of Eurospec headers on my 06 330ci ZHP.

The install went quite smoothly and the defouler mod was also pretty easily installed. Unfortunately the defouler mod did not work and I'm throwing a check engine light that software will hopefully take care of before my next emissions inspection.

My main concern however is that I don't really like the sound the car makes now. At startup and idle it's pretty throaty and low, but when the throttle opens up it gets raspy as a MoFo. Much raspier than an M3 and it's really bothering me. Especially at WOT :(

Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do to fix this?

Should I go with an aftermarket exhaust? Should I get wider piping to improve the airflow....

I want to know what exactly causes this raspiness so I can fix it ASAP.

TIA! :bow:

P.S. I am running the stock ZHP exhaust with the headers and I can't imagine I am the first to person to install headers with a stock exhaust so hopefully someone can chime in with a good solution.

P.S.S. Iwill try to post a sound clip later today.

Autobot325i 03-10-2009 08:58 AM

rasp on a oem exhaust? nooo way i ran like that for weeks and it didnt change much in tone

Superhiro 03-10-2009 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autobot325i (Post 9553021)
rasp on a oem exhaust? nooo way i ran like that for weeks and it didnt change much in tone

Is there something that could cause that if it wasn't installed properly? All seemed to be just fine. :dunno:

rkneeshaw 03-10-2009 09:07 AM

I'm wondering if there's an exhaust leak or not a good seal between the headers and cat-back

Autobot325i 03-10-2009 09:09 AM

if new exhaust gaskets were used, and all ruber mounts are secure. i really cant think of any reason why it would rasp...unless you have really sensitve ears ;p

Buuut with that said...I notice now you're running a 2006 330...maybe they changed exhaust setup... and you don't really fall under the E46 (thats off topic) :D

Superhiro 03-10-2009 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autobot325i (Post 9553070)
if new exhaust gaskets were used, and all ruber mounts are secure. i really cant think of any reason why it would rasp...unless you have really sensitve ears ;p

Buuut with that said...I notice now you're running a 2006 330...maybe they changed exhaust setup... and you don't really fall under the E46 (thats off topic) :D

It's an 06 but DEFINITELY an E46. The coupes stayed in the E46 bodystyle until 07. They very well could have changed up the exhaust a bit though. Damnit this is so frustrating. We did use new exhaust gaskets and as far as I know the rubber mounts are secure.

I don't have my camera at work but I may borrow someones cel phone and take a quick video clip soon.

aggieE46 03-10-2009 09:19 AM

Rasp is beautiful. It's the nature of our engines. Embrace it.

bagher 03-10-2009 09:22 AM

Why did you get headers but no muffler?

Superhiro 03-10-2009 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bagher (Post 9553120)
Why did you get headers but no muffler?

Because I'm stupid and I was under the impression it would be ok with the ZHP exhaust :( I also never imagined it would be as raspy as it is.

bagher 03-10-2009 09:39 AM

Get a nice muffler, you are going to get one eventually anyway =)

I'm sure you can sell a ZHP muffler to a non ZHP owner

BMW_Stu 03-10-2009 09:46 AM

video please?

shady3one3 03-10-2009 09:54 AM

D says your rasp is no where near my rasp, I think maybe you just need to get used to it :dunno: I have a reeeeeeally quiet supersprint muffler I'd be happy to sell you. That would make it less noticeable.

KriTiKaL AspecT 03-10-2009 09:58 AM

If you still have your resonators and muffler than I doubt the rasp can be that bad. Are you sure its not a leak your hearing? The header Euro-spec is selling is the same version that is commonly seen on e-bay. This is the kind I have. My header has a airy/raspy sound than I can hear echoed off trees or curbs when I'm under load with the windows or sunroof down. Diagnosis: Leak at the head of the collector.
The sound is almost non existant at idle except for a cold start. I plan on buying another set and droping it by a maching shop for some work before I install.

Other things to consider:
The headers themselves have thin walls. Which allow the exhaust pluses to be more easliy noticed.
Is the header in contact with the motor mount or touching at the exhaust flanges?

My car isn't young enough to be a ZHP. And I'm aware of a difference in the exhaust. So you may be right. I just can't imagine any stock exhaust system being excessivly raspy. Actually my cousins 323 is has alot more rasp than me with the same setup. My 330 is alot more deeper with more of a growl.

Superhiro 03-10-2009 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shady3one3 (Post 9553263)
D says your rasp is no where near my rasp, I think maybe you just need to get used to it :dunno: I have a reeeeeeally quiet supersprint muffler I'd be happy to sell you. That would make it less noticeable.

I know I saw that...... I started to PM you and then stopped....

I am working on a limited budget as this project is supposed to be flying below the boss' (my fiancee) radar and I'm limited to cash at hand so she doesn't notice.

I think I have ~$450 but I have to think about the cost of getting it installed and possibly the cost of additional piping etc.

As far as what Danny said, I believe him and in the car I think it sounds good and not that raspy until WOT. But I drove Rob's car yesterday and he drove mine and from the outside it's bad :(

I'm gonna take video and will post it in the next hour.

shady3one3 03-10-2009 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superhiro (Post 9553285)
I know I saw that...... I started to PM you and then stopped....

I am working on a limited budget as this project is supposed to be flying below the boss' (my fiancee) radar and I'm limited to cash at hand so she doesn't notice.

I think I have ~$450 but I have to think about the cost of getting it installed and possibly the cost of additional piping etc.

As far as what Danny said, I believe him and in the car I think it sounds good and not that raspy until WOT. But I drove Rob's car yesterday and he drove mine and from the outside it's bad :(

I'm gonna take video and will post it in the next hour.

Its still attached to the rest of my exhaust, so I'm happy to cut it wherever you need so that there is enough pipe to reach your 2nd resonator. Install at any muffler place is probably fifty bucks since they're literally just welding 2 pipes to 2 other pipes. ALso, if you want to do a resonator delete I can give you my whole exhaust from the X pipe back. So you'd have headers - resonator - straight pipes - SS muffler.

Superhiro 03-10-2009 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shady3one3 (Post 9553325)
Its still attached to the rest of my exhaust, so I'm happy to cut it wherever you need so that there is enough pipe to reach your 2nd resonator. Install at any muffler place is probably fifty bucks since they're literally just welding 2 pipes to 2 other pipes. ALso, if you want to do a resonator delete I can give you my whole exhaust from the X pipe back. So you'd have headers - resonator - straight pipes - SS muffler.

Thanks for the help Ash, I'm def considering this. The only thing is I'm not really trying to be very loud nor am I interested in getting tons of drone.

The main point for the headers was to get a few extra HP and it's a decent bang for your buck mod. Especially with Danny doing the install! Now I want to get rid of as much of the rasp as I can but without getting super loud. I have a feeling that going with straight pipes might be a lot louder than I want :p

If it's still on the car maybe I can come by and give it a listen sometime and you can listen to my rasp. Maybe it's just something I'll have to get used to like others have said and I'm making it seem worse than it is :dunno: I PM'd you my # so we can discuss further.

Focal E46 03-10-2009 10:36 AM

Dude I know what you mean about the rasp. I researched this after I put cat-less headers on and EVERYONE acted like I was crazy. "What? Rasp with the stock exhaust? You're crazy" or "I have stock exhaust and no cats and I love it, no rasp". PFFFF. Yeah right. What started as just a header upgrade, turned into my never ending embarrased journey. My car sounded worse than a civic but only under WOT or when I was "getting on it". NO- THE RASP WAS NOT CAUSED BY AN EXHAUST LEAK.

So I decided the stock muffler wasn't tuned to handle the increased air flow and higher rate of exhaust. I purchased the TSE3, knowing it would be loud but hopefully it will uniform this sound. Wow- it sounded great....until I "got on it" and then it would be raspy... a more intentional sounding raspy (if that makes sense) but still sound unrealistically loud. Not NEARLY as shitty sounding as it was with the stock exhaust.

Then I said WTF and ordered two magnaflow high flow cats and had them thrown in. Overall the car sounds a little lower pitch and the raspy is still at WOT but not the cheap ass sound, probably "just the sound they make". But I'll tell you what, it's a night and day difference now than what it was running a catless system on stock exhaust.... almost $2500 dollars later.

JohnBlaze 03-10-2009 10:52 AM

http://www.o2simulator.com/index.php...2969298559eef7

and get a better muffler

lacrosseguy017 03-10-2009 11:07 AM

super,
i'm running my headers on the stock exhaust, not even a zhp exhaust, and mine isnt that bad. I would suggest that once your engine has cooled, run it again for about 5 minutes until it is just barely hot again and then start checking your bolts to make sure they are all tight. as well all know, metal expands in heat so once you let the engine warm up just a tad, it should expand enough to where if the bolts can be tightened, they will. so just check to make sure they are all tight. i would suggest to start with the top bolts and then check the lower ones. but after you turn your car off, just go inside and get a drink or something to waste a few minutes, then check them, otherwise you will just burn yourself.

good luck.

330i ZHP 03-10-2009 11:27 AM

the ss muffler is HUGE and will be very noticeable and raspy as well - it is what it is - you can go for a ride in the wagon that has zhp exhaust as well - it is raspy