E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Home Improvement (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Questions about accessories for HDTV (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=665998)

TP71 04-14-2009 12:56 AM

Questions about accessories for HDTV

I just purchased a Samsung LCD TV and was wondering is it worth buying the Monster hdmi cable and/or the Monster hts950 power center ? Any advice what I should buy for it ? Thanks

blownE30M3 04-14-2009 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TP71 (Post 9770740)
I just purchased a Samsung LCD TV and was wondering is it worth buying the Monster hdmi cable and/or the Monster hts950 power center ? Any advice what I should buy for it ? Thanks

Definitely get a power center for it. At least some sort of surge protection. As for power conditioning (ie. line cleaning), it should be done on a case by case basis. I would stay away from monster interconnects, but their surge protectors and conditioners are pretty good bang for buck.

GlockMan 04-14-2009 07:32 AM

Monster gets slammed so much on this board and I dont really know why.

I like their stuff. Yes it has margin in it but so does every other decent cable on the market.

Anyway, the longer the HDMI the more important quality is. Dont get me wrong, I would NEVER buy cheap cables, but it you do, only do so on short runs.

I, myself, use a 50ft Monster HDMI (even though I HATE HDMI in general)

Check out the APC line for conditioners also. I dumped panamax after a rep told me they never have to pay out claims because installers never follow their requirements.

The Jerk 04-14-2009 08:23 AM

Any good surge protector will do - no need to pay inflated Monster prices. *edit - no I do not mean the $5 WalMart one* APC will do.

Also, a $5 generic HDMI cable is just as good as a $50 cable - it is digital, like a computer cable. The hard drive cables inside computers are generic & last a long time. Don't let Monster fool you!

ryanwhite74115 04-16-2009 02:20 PM

as far as surge protection...dont get the $5 surge protector from walmart....buy a monster, panamax, belkin (pure av series) or apc (home theater lineup) and make sure it has coax and ethernet inputs since electricity can "surge" from those cables just as much as your power socket. With HDMI, honestly monster is great, AS LONG AS YOU GET THEM ONLINE.....they are a ripoff in stores, online such as amazon they are heavily discounted...ergo good deal, but at BB or Office max they are a rip off.

TP71 04-16-2009 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanwhite74115 (Post 9788906)
as far as surge protection...dont get the $5 surge protector from walmart....buy a monster, panamax, belkin (pure av series) or apc (home theater lineup) and make sure it has coax and ethernet inputs since electricity can "surge" from those cables just as much as your power socket. With HDMI, honestly monster is great, AS LONG AS YOU GET THEM ONLINE.....they are a ripoff in stores, online such as amazon they are heavily discounted...ergo good deal, but at BB or Office max they are a rip off.

Yea, I know what you mean. I just purchased one off ebay and payed a 1/3 the price from what the store wanted for the same thing. Now I just have to get the surge protector.