E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Huge transmission shifting issue.. 330ci (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=673505)

RAWSS330 05-10-2009 12:57 AM

Huge transmission shifting issue.. 330ci

Hey everyone so here's my story.

I drive a manual 2001 330ci, 88,000 miles. Two nights ago while highway driving, I noticed that shifting between 1st 2nd and 3rd gear felt very sticky and almost grindy. (4th and 5th gear felt fine). My shifter has always been very smooth with no problems engaging. So tonight while driving home it seemed to have gotten worse. I was at a light and i could not engage the car into 1st gear. I finally forced it into 1st, took off, and when switching to 2nd there was a horrible grinding /banging from the tranny. I pulled over and the shifter would not go into any gear, not even reverse. Finally after slamming the shifter into third i was able to get the carmoving and drove it home. The car drives perfectly when in 3rd gear but once I take it out of third its hard to get it into any other gear. Seems to be a problem with linkages or forks??:tsk: Any ideas? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

MJRMatt330 05-10-2009 02:42 AM

oh wow thats sounds pretty awful man.... scares the **** outa me too lol i wish you luck

SD 328I 05-10-2009 02:45 AM

Did you check the fluid level?

You need to get under the car, and remove the FILL bolt, The fluid should be level with the hole opening.

Everything you mentioned seems to point to low fluid levels. Tranny fluid doesn't burn up, so if it's low, it is usually a leak. Hopefully it won't be a seal or gasket, maybe just a lose drain bolt.

fgin 05-10-2009 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAWSS330 (Post 9930964)
Hey everyone so here's my story.

I drive a manual 2001 330ci, 88,000 miles. Two nights ago while highway driving, I noticed that shifting between 1st 2nd and 3rd gear felt very sticky and almost grindy. (4th and 5th gear felt fine). My shifter has always been very smooth with no problems engaging. So tonight while driving home it seemed to have gotten worse. I was at a light and i could not engage the car into 1st gear. I finally forced it into 1st, took off, and when switching to 2nd there was a horrible grinding /banging from the tranny. I pulled over and the shifter would not go into any gear, not even reverse. Finally after slamming the shifter into third i was able to get the carmoving and drove it home. The car drives perfectly when in 3rd gear but once I take it out of third its hard to get it into any other gear. Seems to be a problem with linkages or forks??:tsk: Any ideas? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

worn clutch ?

mkodama 05-10-2009 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fgin (Post 9931437)
worn clutch ?

Worn clutches don't usually affect the gearbox or gear selectors.

RAWSS330 05-10-2009 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkodama (Post 9931582)
Worn clutches don't usually affect the gearbox or gear selectors.

Your absolutely right. it is deff not worn clutch. and fluid level is fine. the clutch has 15k miles on it. i feel like it could be more a synchro problem..:facepalm:

Minnoe07 05-10-2009 09:27 AM

Throw out bearing.

KriTiKaL AspecT 05-10-2009 09:30 AM

Yea I'd check your fluid first. Don't get too agressive with the shifter or you will bend the fork as well. Hope it dosent end up like my cousin's. He made a shift into second the other night and can't get it out. For some reason we can't even split the tranny open because of this.

GoingNuts 05-10-2009 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnoe07 (Post 9931955)
Throw out bearing.

Do you even know what a throw out bearing is ?

To OP: sorry bud, your gear box is forked.

330I6SPD 05-10-2009 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoingNuts (Post 9931972)
Do you even know what a throw out bearing is ?

To OP: sorry bud, your gear box is forked.

I think he is saying if the transmission shop rebuilding the unit finds a bad bearing, throw it out.:lmao:

iansanderson 05-10-2009 11:04 AM

I wouldn't rule out a bad clutch/flywheel or even bad install. The manual transmissions are usually pretty solid.

All of the symptoms sound like what would happen if you tried to force the car into a gear without depressing the clutch fully. An easy test would be test driving on a rack or with the rear wheels off the ground. See if you can now shift the car normally and if the wheels spin with the car in gear, clutch depressed.

frogg320 05-10-2009 11:09 AM

Dude, everyone, stop speculating :P

This happened to me for a while, almost exactly the same scenario. I was convinced my 2nd gear syncro was toast, but that wasn't it. I had totally worn linkage bushings, as well as bad trans/motor mounts...it could be some combination or all of these. I also noticed my trans output shaft flange wasn't tight, but I doubt this was the culprit.

Once I fixed the rubber bits, it shifted wonderfully again, like magic. I should note that "slamming" anything in a gearbox is NOT the way to do it. After it would grind going into second (I would let off as soon as I could, grinding is NEVER good for anything) sometimes it wouldn't want to go into any gear...so I'd drift off onto the shoulder and sit there and massage the gearbox and the clutch until something got back into the right place. I never forced it, but eventually whatever was out of whack would realign itself and I'd be back in action. But like I said, fix those rubber and plastic bits and I bet you'll be fine.

Minnoe07 05-13-2009 06:29 PM

Nope, not really. Just thought I'd throw something out there. :P

RAWSS330 05-17-2009 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frogg320 (Post 9932168)
Dude, everyone, stop speculating :P

This happened to me for a while, almost exactly the same scenario. I was convinced my 2nd gear syncro was toast, but that wasn't it. I had totally worn linkage bushings, as well as bad trans/motor mounts...it could be some combination or all of these. I also noticed my trans output shaft flange wasn't tight, but I doubt this was the culprit.

Once I fixed the rubber bits, it shifted wonderfully again, like magic. I should note that "slamming" anything in a gearbox is NOT the way to do it. After it would grind going into second (I would let off as soon as I could, grinding is NEVER good for anything) sometimes it wouldn't want to go into any gear...so I'd drift off onto the shoulder and sit there and massage the gearbox and the clutch until something got back into the right place. I never forced it, but eventually whatever was out of whack would realign itself and I'd be back in action. But like I said, fix those rubber and plastic bits and I bet you'll be fine.

It could be linkage.. but i got the transmission out and the end of the transmission shaft (which sits in the pilot bearing) is totally worn down..I have never seen anything like it before... I can stick my finger in the pilot bearing and i feel play..I definitely think it's a blown pilot bearing. Which caused the offset between shifting. Any other ideas? I just bought a salvaged refurbished 330ci transmission that has 25,000 miles on it. 400 bucks. Awesome deal.

RAWSS330 05-17-2009 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD 328I (Post 9931402)
Did you check the fluid level?

You need to get under the car, and remove the FILL bolt, The fluid should be level with the hole opening.

Everything you mentioned seems to point to low fluid levels. Tranny fluid doesn't burn up, so if it's low, it is usually a leak. Hopefully it won't be a seal or gasket, maybe just a lose drain bolt.

Fluid level was fine. when i got the tranny out though i drained it, it had a horrible burning smell and was completely black... The owner that had it before me got the clutch done before he sold it to me. I'm thinking they might have put some kind of other transmission fluid in it?? (other than the BMW recommended?)

inlinesicks 05-17-2009 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAWSS330 (Post 9973709)
Fluid level was fine. when i got the tranny out though i drained it, it had a horrible burning smell and was completely black... The owner that had it before me got the clutch done before he sold it to me. I'm thinking they might have put some kind of other transmission fluid in it?? (other than the BMW recommended?)

If the fluid was black maybe they thought it was a saab and put motor oil in it lol.

altink 05-18-2009 01:23 AM

Just a thought but have u checked the slave cylinder, my car is auto but im assuming that the manual tranny has hydrolic clutch like my starion and the 240 sx i had. my station had the same prob u havin and i changed the slave cylinder, prob fixed, so i'd say check that first. GL

kuksul08 05-18-2009 01:35 AM

clutch isn't disengaging fully?

RAWSS330 05-18-2009 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuksul08 (Post 9976273)
clutch isn't disengaging fully?

clutch is brand new and was disengaging fully. like is said, i got the car home in 3rd gear. The problem i am having doesn't relate to the clutch.

brigade00 04-22-2012 03:58 PM

help!

HellO
i drive a 2001 BMW Ci.I have a problem with my car.When i park my car upward like a on my drive way and when i park car down ward.When i shift my car to from parking to drive and pulls back.When i start driving it pulls back when it reaches 1,2,3,4 when and pull back and it also down it when i slow down. this doesn't happen everytime only sometimes. what is the problem ? if u have any idea let me know asap. thanks