E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Car Care & Detailing (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   leatherique and damaged seats (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=677954)

Girmis 05-26-2009 07:19 PM

leatherique and damaged seats

I hope you can help me (Greg?).
I used leatherique kit (rejuvenating oil and prestine clean) according to the directions on my 2001 330Ci with gray interior. The seats were in very good condition, just wanted to "refresh" and clean them. After reading everywhere that Leatherique products are the best, decided to use it. What a mistake....:banghead: Now my seats have these blobs of blueish random patterns all over. I contacted leatherique about it, they say "Your hides are not “screwed”. They are in better condition than many people’s hides" :blah:.. lol, I don't care if they in better shape because it looks awaful! They are telling me that I need to repaint the surface now...basically, buy a new seat.... So can I still do something to my seats? I did 2 sessions as I thought maybe I did not do something right the first time... I attached bigger pictures just to see the damage...:ben:

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m.../_MG_9787s.jpg
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m.../_MG_9790s.jpg
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m.../_MG_9788s.jpg

inlinesicks 05-26-2009 07:27 PM

Man I was gonna order some of that stuff but not any more :yikes:

Girmis 05-26-2009 08:02 PM

"Your surface color needs to be replaced for the leather to look new again. Have you seen your wife or girlfriend when they are taking their make up off? That is what is happening to your hide, and it occurs from your clothes and body rubbing against the leather. The surface color needs to be replaced, and that is very simple to do."

that is from their email... check the second picture, the diffrerent color can be seen under the headrest.... so how do I scratch there with my clothes? .... There should be a big note the the beggining of the instructions - "the cleaner will strip the pain, and you will have to buy our leather recoloring kit, or new seat...". It is not funny, at least right now

Greg@DetailedImage.com 05-26-2009 08:26 PM

I'm very sorry to hear about your experience with those products. I have never seen this happen before with the Leatherique products. They are designed to simply clean and condition leather, leatherette, vinyl, etc. I will call Leatherique tomorrow afternoon and see if I can get any more details. By any chance was the seats dyed or otherwise treated before?

Greg @ Detailed Image

Girmis 05-26-2009 09:47 PM

I am not 100% sure, but the leather texture is the same as rear seats. My previuos car had repainted seats and I could tell because the thread was repainted and it was hard, some places showed some strikes, so I know how repainted seats look. I do not see anything like that on my BMW. The seats do not show to much wear and looked very good before the treatments.

Greg, I contacted leatherique already, if you want, I can forward you the emails I received from them. They are telling me to repaint the seats... did anyone did it before? I don't want to repaint them every few months or walk around with gray clothes either. It was so dumb of me to clean perfectly fine seats....

Greg@DetailedImage.com 05-26-2009 11:30 PM

If you can please forward me the e-mails so I can be more informed of the situation when I call them. There is a link to my e-mail address in my signature. I will be back in touch tomorrow.

Greg @ Detailed Image

Petrucci_M3 05-27-2009 01:45 AM

Wow, I've never seen that happen before. You said your seats were repainted before? I wonder what color and who did the prepping.

I've had no problems whatsoever with leatherique.

Girmis 05-27-2009 02:43 AM

This seat was not repainted before, thats the problem...

alibusoul 05-27-2009 02:52 AM

try using Mr Clean Magic Eraser on that and see what happens. That stuff works miracles, just a suggestion...

THATS FRESH 05-27-2009 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petrucci_M3 (Post 10025886)
Wow, I've never seen that happen before. You said your seats were repainted before? I wonder what color and who did the prepping.

I've had no problems whatsoever with leatherique.

ive had no problems either. hopefully you and greg can figure this one out and update us.

BTW, nice interior in your shot Petrucci...

SmoKeNfLY 05-27-2009 12:25 PM

I've never had issues with the product either and I also have grey seats like you. I left the oil on for 48+ plus and scrubbed it afterwards with the cleaner like a mad man with a brush and no issues. I'm wondering if there is something else that is involved. Maybe the one you purchased was SUPER concentrated?

Greg@DetailedImage.com 05-27-2009 04:35 PM

I just spoke to my rep from Leatherique to get some more information about these products and what may have happened. They told me they are going to try and call you to discuss the matter further. They are also potentially going to post here to add some more information. I hope this helps shed some light on the topic. I will try and stay in touch with you to see what we can find out.

Greg @ Detailed Image

aodgaard 05-27-2009 08:22 PM

if u didnt buy the car brand new and are "not sure" if they havent been treated or repainted, there might be a chance they have been after seeing those pictures. ive used leatherique before and it did nothing like that

Beematic 05-27-2009 08:49 PM

I have use Leatherique for about 300 cars or so and yet to have that problem.

SmoKeNfLY 05-27-2009 08:53 PM

This is a real mystery.:eek:

Mikeee46coupe 05-27-2009 09:18 PM

That's not a leatherique issue, I'll bet those seats were dyed at some point. I've used Leatherique on nearly every colour of BMW leather and never seen anything like that happen.

SmoKeNfLY 05-27-2009 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeee46coupe (Post 10031310)
That's not a leatherique issue, I'll bet those seats were dyed at some point. I've used Leatherique on nearly every colour of BMW leather and never seen anything like that happen.

I tend to agree with you that the leatherique shouldn't have caused this issue.

Petrucci_M3 05-28-2009 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THATS FRESH (Post 10026729)
ive had no problems either. hopefully you and greg can figure this one out and update us.

BTW, nice interior in your shot Petrucci...

Thank you! :woot:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeee46coupe (Post 10031310)

I have to agree, I've used it in multiple BMW's and non-BMW's with no problems. Hope it gets worked out though for the OP.

George LRP 05-28-2009 12:39 PM

Leatherique and damaged seats

Hi Germis and friends;
Germis thank you for posting these pictures as this is going to be a wonderful learning example for everyone here.

Our records indicate that BMW did have a problem with a few batches of the light grey N6TT surface dye being extremely fragile and your car may be one them. We helped restore the surface dye on many of the light grey interiors, so we know this was a problem.

Your pictures are wonderful because they show actual surface color wear. There is a bloviator on many of the detail forums advising that leather does not need to be nourished, because it is mostly vinyl. These pictures show the actual hide directly under the surface color that has worn due to normal use. From your pictures you can see areas where your sholders, back, bottom abraded the surface color. There are areas on the passenger bolster where there is no color loss and the color looks perfect because there was no normal abrasion.

This is NOT DIRT you are seeing, it is the surface color worn away. Products like majic eraser will only make this situation much worse. The surface finish is wearing awaw from normal use, and harsh cleaners will only wear away more finish, exposing more of the hide.

Your seats are in very good restorable condition. As we explained, your leather is 100% intact. I don't see any real cracks, tears, or holes. All your upholstery needs is to have the surface dye restored. This is not a difficult process. If you have ever painted or stained wood, which is also a natural, fibrous product, or watched your wife or girlfried do her nails, it is the same process.

Our office has already spoken with you yesterday afternoon, and we are sending you some prepping agent and correct color dye.

This type of wear most often occurs on drivers bolsters, side bolsters, arm rests. Many fabrics like jeans, cords, chinos can be like 600 grit sand paper sliding over the finish.

Another wear issue to be aware of is dye transfer from the indigo pigment in your jeans. This blue cast is most often seen on light leathers and occurs from perspiration or dampness, or heated seats. Leather coats also can cause dye transfer, as well as belts. We have also had several calls from dudes who have strange marks on their seat bottoms from dye transfer from belts worn down around their seat.

The important lesson here is that it is 100% vital to keep your actual hides nourished, and Rejuvenator is the only product forumlated to do this. It is not a surface dressing, but actual leather specific proteins and collagens tht will keep the actual, fibrous hide nourished, plump, and luxuriously supple so it lasts the life of the car. There are a few bloviators on these forums that advocate using leather master or some other surface dressing. These products do nothing for the actual hide, but trap dirt, emisions, perspiration on the surface so your hides constantly look dirty. We have had folks at leather restoration seminars show us their fine light colored interiors that now look dingy and gray because of the years of surface dressings that contain wax, petroleum distilates, silicones, and other surface dressings.

So Girmantas when you prepping agent and dye arrive, you'll finish cleaning the surface with the prepping agent to make sure it is perfect clean and apply the new dye. It is easy to apply, you can use a fine artist brush, or a wipe dye technique and build up your color. It dries to the touch in a few minutes and like any new surface coating, let it cure for 48 hours to bond back into the hide. We are also sending some Klear Kote as extra protection for any other areas you may wish to protect. All our products are water based, are environmentally safe to use, non toxic and non flammable.

I hope after you do the redye, you will post new pictures. Please email me directly if you have questions as I stay quite busy and don't have much time to visit the various chat groups. If anyone else has any leather care or technical questions, please feel free to contact me directly. I am a chemical engineer by education, and a second generation auto restorer. Since I was a kid, I have helped my dad with complete body off restorations of many fine cars. I am fully educated on all aspects of leather tanning, manufacture, preservation, and restoration.

Our products were originally formulated over 50 years ago to actually restore pre war leather, and our materials are used world wide by conservators, museums, collectors, hobbyists and do it yourselfers.

In closing, please remember two things, that leather is actually skin, and it will last the life of the car if you treat it as you would your own skin. Keep it clean and nourished so it can breathe. Also leather is actually very durable. Many of the artifacts retrieved from the depths of the ocean at the Titanic site remained intact because they were encased in leather. Paper money, articles of clothes and other items survived when humans were long gone because the items were encased in leather wallets, satches, and suitcases.

I'm here to help in any way you need, I will never cut and paste any jiberish, and will always answer any questions directly and in as much detail as you like.
Kind regards,
George Pavlisko
www.Leatherique.com

Greg@DetailedImage.com 05-28-2009 01:00 PM

Thank you George for posting on the forum it helps others and myself better understand what may have happened, how to care for leather, etc. I really appreciate you taking the time out of your day to help our customer and the forum members. I also hope to see some after pictures from Girmis after you use the dye.

Greg @ Detailed Image