E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Door mirror issue (not the usual reverse question ;) ) (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=680568)

revok 06-05-2009 12:59 PM

Door mirror issue (not the usual reverse question ;) )

Hi, I'm looking for some help with diagnosing a fault I have with my electric folding door mirrors on my 2004 33oci clubsport with electric memory seats and mirrors. The problems is as follows:

1. Both mirrors fail to move when using the adjustment switch.
2. Only the passenger door mirror operates when the car is put into reverse
(regardless of where the switch is positioned)
3. Only the passenger door mirror folds when the lock button is held down on
the key.
4. Only the passenger door mirror 'defrosts' when iced.

So far I know it's not the fuses, mirror adjust switch or a disconnected cable in the driver's door, or a loose connector from where the interface cable from the door connector to each of the components within the door.

The electric windows work fine, so I know some power is getting through the connector but I don't want to assume that means the mirror assembly/switch is getting the correct power. Can anybody advise if they take power from the same source or not?

I know that the airbag power/monitoring system seems to be ok as I now have the airbag light on after my tests so far :facepalm:

I'd be grateful if someone could shed some light on where the control module for the mirrors is hiding or any other possible cause I've not yet considered.

Many thanks

revok 06-05-2009 05:09 PM

boink!!

any suggestions before I start pulling the car apart?

alwaysbored786 06-05-2009 05:16 PM

i think the module is actually under the mirror control switches, just pop it out and see if any of the connections are loose.

revok 06-06-2009 07:13 AM

Thanks, if it stops raining any time soon I'll pull the panel off again and have another look.

max_gee 06-23-2009 08:54 AM

I seem to have the same problem, Did you manage to suss it out?

hardybob 06-23-2009 05:30 PM

mine are not the auto folding ones, but the memory mirrors/seats. same problem that you describe though with same results (minus the folding). i was going to tear the drivers door apart and check wiring and the module, but a tech got to it first. i never found out exactly what it was, but appears to have been a wire or connector loose since he didn't mention it and no charge. he had the door panel off to get the door handle off. hope this helps some. the only other thing i can think of would be that he disconnected the battery also which could have reset something. good luck.

revok 07-17-2009 11:20 AM

I've never got round to looking at it since. Kinda been a little disheartened. If the weather holds off tomorrow I'll disconnect the battery and have another look.

Thanks for the input guys.

revok 04-28-2010 11:18 AM

Solved

Right, I finally got of my backside and investigated the problem.

Had a dig around inside the door as already mentioned but nothing was out of place, so after yet more googling I saw a few images of how the cabling ran from the wing mirror through to the door connectors and wasn't too impressed.

So off came the wing mirror and I didn't even have to meter the cabling, I could see water had got into the cable and corroded the copper. So after weighing up the options of spending 200+ on a new wing mirror or a morning being 'creative', I have plenty of beer money to show for my efforts :thumbsup:

Essentially I cut the corroded section out and soldered a length of cat5 in place. covered the solder joints in silicon snot and I now have electric memory folding mirrors.

\o/ go me!!!!