E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   California (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   DIY barter, I'll help you perform a DIY I'm knowledgable in if you help me with one?? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=681829)

DOB2009 06-10-2009 05:55 AM

DIY barter, I'll help you perform a DIY I'm knowledgable in if you help me with one??
 
Well i'm no mechanic but I have done a few things to my E46 that If I had to re-do twice I could probably do it fairly quick and easy. I also have tools and a garage. There are some DIY I wouldn't want to do alone, so I'll post some stuff up I can do, we can do one or multiple upgrades/repairs if you can help me with some thing not on my list, thanks to any one who responds, I live in Tustin in OC.

I can:
-Change oil, Trans fluid, Diff Fluid (have all tools to do all 3)
-roll front and/or rear fenders (would need to rent a roller/heat gun combo, aprox $50)
-install interior/exterior LED lighting, emblems, Angel Projectors, Depot Tail lights, corners
-change cabin filter, spark plugs, intake, battery, intake boot, clean/replace the ICV
-sand/primer/paint/clear coat Interior trim to match body color, or your choice of color such as Metallic silver/black.
-Re-paint black trim exterior pieces, mirrors, pills, wiper arms
-change front/rear rotors & pads/sensors
-change front sway bar links

SO there are DIY I'm comfortable doing really quick and easily if we have the right tools, and I have a decent selection, I'm also willing to loan my garage and assisnt in any unlisted DIY if you help me with one or ones I would want to do?

Some DIY I would want help with doing it my first time, in exchange for my help:
-Installing headers
-Changing any thing related to front/rear suspension (shocks, control arms/bushings
-Cooling system maintence, (flush, new expansion tank? hoses?
-fuel pump/filter
-Front bumper/fog light install (paint would be awesome but thats prob asking too much)
-Double DIN install
-Brake Fluid Flush
-blower motor lube or replacement (to stop the shaky rattle noise when ac is on, or when cutch is not engaged at a dead stop.

Thats all i can think of at the moment, please PM me so we can work on our cars!

Devious1 06-10-2009 12:18 PM

what are you doing first?

DOB2009 06-10-2009 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devious1 (Post 10110167)
what are you doing first?

It would probably depend on who responded with what they preffered to help out with. I would like to tackle that blower motor issue if possible, and ifs that root cause the "tick tick tick tick" noise that increases as the AC is turned on. I want to just lube it and clean it up.

Bleeding brakes, flushing coolant/changing hoses also I would like to try.

Motor mounts/fog lights w/ new bumper install also is high on my list.

GTUnit 06-11-2009 12:55 AM

Im in OC. I want to change my fuel pump soon. I am down to help you out a bit.
I am good and can do almost anything.

alphanume12ix 06-11-2009 01:40 AM

i got you if you for...

bleeding brakes (2 man method)
front suspension work (given you have compressors)
fuel filter

what part of LA?

DOB2009 06-11-2009 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alphanume12ix (Post 10115022)
i got you if you for...

bleeding brakes (2 man method)
front suspension work (given you have compressors)
fuel filter

what part of LA?

awesome, I live in Tustin and have a garage here and tools. 2 man method you just remove 1 tire right while one guy pumps the old fluid out?? The only suspension upgrade I'm doing at the moment is just front sway bar links, which should be very easy.

Do you need help with any thing on yours?

sillieidiot 06-11-2009 05:04 AM

sounds like you would do well at the DIY meets i have at my house once in a while. anyways off that list i can do suspension (shocks/springs/rear control arms/sways), front bumper/fogs, bleeding brakes (2 man). that's about it lol

anyways stuff that i can do that you didn't list (besides the stuff that you can do, cause i can do it too lol):
belts/pulleys (everything but underdrive, too messy)/tensioner (mechanical)
window regulators
taking off tint (except for rear window)
most things lighting/electrical related
rear bumper
exhaust (from headers back like tse3)
basic speakers install
install hoods/trunks (CF/FG with dremeling work)
install new seats
alternator replacement
valve gasket
install ssk

iono what else. but if there's anything i haven't done, i'm always up to try it lol

i think my friend is going to get a new fuel pump soon, so once i do that, i'll add that to the list of stuff i can do i guess.

less than three 06-11-2009 05:52 AM

i'll watch and eat tofu and drink boba (please don't put me to work)

okthnx

w0w 06-14-2009 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by want an ///M (Post 10115577)
i'll watch and eat tofu and drink boba (please don't put me to work)

okthnx

ill watch jay watch u guys while hes eating tofu and drinking boba while i eat tofu and drink boba

GTUnit 06-14-2009 02:36 AM

A DIY meet would be more fun then a regular parking lot meet IMO.

Sharky06 06-14-2009 05:35 PM

Sillie, when do you guys meet up at your place? I'd like to go down there and learn a thing or two.

Just bought myself an fuel filter and thnking about changing it for the first time. (bought Mahle)

soh5241 06-14-2009 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharky06 (Post 10133529)
Sillie, when do you guys meet up at your place? I'd like to go down there and learn a thing or two.

Just bought myself an fuel filter and thnking about changing it for the first time. (bought Mahle)

changing the fuel filter is really easy...just disconnect the fuel filter and plug in the new one...they have a DIY somewhere on this forum

D4rkkn1ght 06-14-2009 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DOB2009 (Post 10113166)
It would probably depend on who responded with what they preffered to help out with. I would like to tackle that blower motor issue if possible, and ifs that root cause the "tick tick tick tick" noise that increases as the AC is turned on. I want to just lube it and clean it up.

Bleeding brakes, flushing coolant/changing hoses also I would like to try.

Motor mounts/fog lights w/ new bumper install also is high on my list.

I've done motor mounts and the expansion tank and hoses arent that hard either. They're simple

Alex323Ci 06-15-2009 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soh5241 (Post 10134141)
changing the fuel filter is really easy...just disconnect the fuel filter and plug in the new one...they have a DIY somewhere on this forum

what about all the pressure in the system :facepalm:
there's a lot more than that..it can be a messy job if not performed correctly.

garage meets can be very helpful for most. just be safe and you'd be surprised how quickly a few wrenchers can help make a job not seem so long and difficult.

sillieidiot 06-15-2009 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharky06 (Post 10133529)
Sillie, when do you guys meet up at your place? I'd like to go down there and learn a thing or two.

Just bought myself an fuel filter and thnking about changing it for the first time. (bought Mahle)

iono, just lurk in the socal chat. i just do it on a whim sometimes. you can come by and we'll tackled that if you want. i've been meaning to do that and the fuel pump on my friend's car. might as well start now lol

sillieidiot 06-15-2009 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex323Ci (Post 10136088)
what about all the pressure in the system :facepalm:
there's a lot more than that..it can be a messy job if not performed correctly.

garage meets can be very helpful for most. just be safe and you'd be surprised how quickly a few wrenchers can help make a job not seem so long and difficult.

lol, you know what sucks though? when people don't know how to use a tool and break it. gotta have them bring their own tools :rofl:

DOB2009 06-16-2009 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sillieidiot (Post 10115523)
sounds like you would do well at the DIY meets i have at my house once in a while. anyways off that list i can do suspension (shocks/springs/rear control arms/sways), front bumper/fogs, bleeding brakes (2 man). that's about it lol

anyways stuff that i can do that you didn't list (besides the stuff that you can do, cause i can do it too lol):
belts/pulleys (everything but underdrive, too messy)/tensioner (mechanical)
window regulators
taking off tint (except for rear window)
most things lighting/electrical related
rear bumper
exhaust (from headers back like tse3)
basic speakers install
install hoods/trunks (CF/FG with dremeling work)
install new seats
alternator replacement
valve gasket
install ssk

iono what else. but if there's anything i haven't done, i'm always up to try it lol

i think my friend is going to get a new fuel pump soon, so once i do that, i'll add that to the list of stuff i can do i guess.

cool yeah if you ever have a DIY meet up let me know I'll stop by and help even if I don't need any thing. I've done Headlights and reset SES lights with other members here.

I'm replacing my M style bumper with a mint one, and need to wire fogs as well as replace mirrors for next upgrade. I'm driving to SD to DDM probably Friday morning to get the bumper, fogs, corners, mirrors. It would be cool to get some help with that, I never could even get my old fogs to work and they seemed to be wired correctly? I think I can handle it but haven't done the DIY's yet. Thanks for reply.

DOB2009 06-16-2009 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharky06 (Post 10133529)
Sillie, when do you guys meet up at your place? I'd like to go down there and learn a thing or two.

Just bought myself an fuel filter and thnking about changing it for the first time. (bought Mahle)

I work all week and fly to chicago from Fri-Sun, but after I get back you can drive to down to Tustin and we'll change both ours in my garage if you haven't done it by then. Offer stands for any good members here on any upgrade/repair you want to try to knock out together.

Some repairs I think i could knock out really fast after doing them. Pads and rotors took me 2 days due to lack of proper tools, and having to obtain broken caliper bolts. But if I had to redo it again I think I could replace front/rear rotors & pads in less than an hour

w0w 06-17-2009 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DOB2009 (Post 10144208)
cool yeah if you ever have a DIY meet up let me know I'll stop by and help even if I don't need any thing. I've done Headlights and reset SES lights with other members here.

I'm replacing my M style bumper with a mint one, and need to wire fogs as well as replace mirrors for next upgrade. I'm driving to SD to DDM probably Friday morning to get the bumper, fogs, corners, mirrors. It would be cool to get some help with that, I never could even get my old fogs to work and they seemed to be wired correctly? I think I can handle it but haven't done the DIY's yet. Thanks for reply.

if sillie ever has a meet, i could help u out with the bumper and mirrors.

i could also help u with ur fogs, i retrofitted fogs for my car and i had trouble too but was able to figure it out. do they turn on but eventually turn back off?

baysta 06-18-2009 01:47 AM

I'm new to DIY so if I could network with you guys for some help in the future that'd be great.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use