E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   ///M3 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   oval mirror replacement - your prayers are answered (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=686228)

J-SON 06-26-2009 08:29 PM

oval mirror replacement - your prayers are answered

I posted this in the classifieds since everyone is looking for those epic failure auto dimming mirrors...but thought I'd copy it here too. Maybe we need this as a sticky since this seems to be such a prominent issue...??

I don't know if this was posted on this forum, but it was on another M3 forum. Everyone has had dimming mirror problems, so here is your answer to replace it for hardly any $$, and not buy it from BMW for $500.

There is a company called Sybesmas that will replace your mirror for $75 plus shipping. They are a mirror manufacturing company.

Call them at 616-392-6911.

The story goes: the company that actually first manufactured the mirrors in our cars is called Magna Donnelly and they had been replacing the mirrors for free until fairly recently. Now if you call them they tell you to call Sybesmas. Then this other mirror supply company picked up the job by starting this program. They recognized that there was such an issue and demand that they could offer an inexpensive solution to our problem. They are quite used to this, and will email you everything you need to know. You have to take off the mirror, take pictures of it, and fill out a form. If you are lucky enough to have a white sticker on your mirror you are golden because they use that for your part number. Otherwise they need all pictures requested. They can not use the part number from BMW.

The email you receive will look like this:

<<<
The cost for a mirror exchange is $75.00 plus shipping/handling to the
United States. If you reside outside of the USA, please contact us for
pricing. You will be required to return the defective mirror and a pre-paid
label will be provided for you to do so.

Please note that we do not support mirrors with the home link option.

The attached form will need to be completed and pictures of the following
will need to be included for us to determine what mirror it is that you are
in need of.

-Front and rear views of the mirror
-The plug (number of pins and wire colors are helpful)
-The mounting bracket located on the windshield

You may send payment via email when your order is submitted otherwise, we
will contact you when you mirror is ready to ship for that information.

Do not open the black casing surrounding the mirror as this will cause
damage and the unit will no longer be valuable as an exchange and you will
be charged the full purchase price of $200.00.
>>>

I just sent in all my info, I will update on what happens...but others have used this successfully so I urge you to take advantage of this opportunity if you have the problem. Don't risk the liquid leaking into your interior.
Hope this helps!

**UPDATE: Earlier today, within a few hours of talking to them my order was processed and they confirmed that they were shipping out my mirror this afternoon. I will get it Monday or Tuesday!!!! :woot:

chriskuta 06-27-2009 02:35 AM

Can you PM me a contact email address?

rusty0099 06-27-2009 12:51 PM

stacy@sybesmas.com

I had this replaced last year and the transaction went flawlessly. Of course I would still prefer MD replacing the mirror for free but $75 is still a bargain compared to a stealership charging like $500. Pretty easy to replace it yourself too.

zen_racer 06-27-2009 07:17 PM

my local dealership just replaced mine under extended warranty for the $50 deductible. SA said it was leaking when they were test driving it, although I didn't see any signs of it having leaked onto the dash/console.

$500 is pretty steep, though, this sounds like a good deal ;)

J-SON 06-28-2009 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zen_racer (Post 10213412)
my local dealership just replaced mine under extended warranty for the $50 deductible. SA said it was leaking when they were test driving it, although I didn't see any signs of it having leaked onto the dash/console.

$500 is pretty steep, though, this sounds like a good deal ;)

I'm glad BMW replaced that for you - I heard from other people that even under warranty BMW wouldn't cover the part. :)

J-SON 06-28-2009 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty0099 (Post 10212490)
stacy@sybesmas.com

I had this replaced last year and the transaction went flawlessly. Of course I would still prefer MD replacing the mirror for free but $75 is still a bargain compared to a stealership charging like $500. Pretty easy to replace it yourself too.

That's the one. If you call the phone number anyone can help you - it's not just STacy handling it :)

JJR4884 06-28-2009 09:12 PM

so you can't just buy it for $75 for those non-m owners?

:eeps:

cwh80 06-29-2009 03:21 PM

No you have to send in your Vin number and your old mirror. I had this done a year ago and the process is smooth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJR4884 (Post 10217594)
so you can't just buy it for $75 for those non-m owners?

:eeps:

Tp///M3 06-29-2009 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwh80 (Post 10221120)
No you have to send in your Vin number and your old mirror. I had this done a year ago and the process is smooth.

If you want to replace your rectangular mirror with oval one, can you send it in and say it leaks? :eeps:

J-SON 06-29-2009 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tp///M3 (Post 10221346)
If you want to replace your rectangular mirror with oval one, can you send it in and say it leaks? :eeps:

nope, they look at the mirror with the pics you send, and look for a serial number - the white sticker I mentioned. But I do know that they will only replace that which is stock, nothing different. At least, that was my understanding. Do u have auto-dimming rectangular with a leak? or do you just want an oval? I would think if you have no auto-dimming mirror with a leak then you have no case. They won't accept it. for the $75. You could ask about buying a replacement though - it could be cheaper than buying from a dealer. Hey, it's worth a shot. "Try and you might, don't you won't." Call and ask them

J-SON 06-30-2009 09:23 PM

UPDATE as promised

FYI: my mirror arrived today - it is PERFECT!!
This was the best program ever! Too bad they don't replace them for free anymore but it beats $500 from BMW

ABCD 07-01-2009 04:11 AM

Hi all
The crap that leaks out of these mirrors is apparently very caustic etc - does this need to be declared when posting the damaged mirror or are you guys just sending it off?

///M3Turk 07-01-2009 04:46 AM

thank you so much for posting this:bow:

Toddzilla 07-06-2009 06:21 PM

Well my car has homelink, which they do not cover so it looks like I am screwed unless I can get BMW NA to pay for it.

Son of a b1tch!

BSR423 07-28-2009 03:36 PM

How can we get our mirrors replaced/repaired if we have homelink????

mredwin25 07-29-2009 02:14 PM

I got mine for free directly from the manufacturer but that was a while back.

J-SON 07-30-2009 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mredwin25 (Post 10377616)
I got mine for free directly from the manufacturer but that was a while back.

yea, they used to replace them for free, but they stopped that program. When you call the number it says specifically to call Sybesmas and gives you the number. I tried. But $75 plus shipping was a great deal. The new one still has the clown nose on it. It's the same in every way to the original.

J-SON 07-30-2009 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ///M3Turk (Post 10229975)
thank you so much for posting this:bow:

Hopefully it helps....I hope a stickie is in order :idea:

95silverM 07-30-2009 10:06 PM

just about to receive my mirror, $75 for the mirror however the total with shipping rapage was $98.50..but then again surely beats the stealership pricing

budman 08-30-2009 09:15 PM

emailed stacey

:banghead:
http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/9507/mirror014.jpg