E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   CV boot clamp source? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=686413)

tidewhiff 06-27-2009 08:33 PM

CV boot clamp source?

xi front axle had the much discussed vibration problem on acceleration/hills. I opened the inner boots (outers replaced 75K ago) - cut off the clamp - which apparently is an Oetiker ear clamp... Was dry - repacked with grease.
Tried using heavy duty plastic ties to close ti up - but it doesn't seal well enough - grease has emerged from the boot during the test drive. I know the clamps come with the boot kits - but where can I get just the clamps - have looked everywhere. I can get a bag of 100 from some supplier... useless. The only thing I've found even close is on ebay - search "CV Joint Boot Clamp Kit" - looks good - but does anyone know of any other sources? None of the usual suspects have them - pelican, summit, etc.

bombguy 06-27-2009 08:56 PM

Dealer?

tidewhiff 06-27-2009 09:11 PM

pfft - I'm sure they'll sell a clamp with the $500 axle attached. But it's worth a check.

bombguy 06-27-2009 09:14 PM

I know they sell boot kits, but the clamp might be sold separately as well

tidewhiff 06-27-2009 09:51 PM

ty, gonna check in the am.

mistrzmiasta 06-28-2009 08:07 AM

dont they sell these clamps in autozone?

tidewhiff 06-28-2009 10:48 AM

DOH!
Thanks! checked kragen/o'reilly and autozone, both have dorman or motormite universal cv boot clamps. not enough info online, but looks like something may work - one of them is listed as 14" long so should be able to put it on radially (ie with axle and boot in place) Will have to trek over to the store. Odd, thought I had checked them originally... maybe I was still looking for Oetiker clamps...

mistrzmiasta 06-28-2009 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tidewhiff (Post 10215417)
DOH!
Thanks! checked kragen/o'reilly and autozone, both have dorman or motormite universal cv boot clamps. not enough info online, but looks like something may work - one of them is listed as 14" long so should be able to put it on radially (ie with axle and boot in place) Will have to trek over to the store. Odd, thought I had checked them originally... maybe I was still looking for Oetiker clamps...

:thumbsup:

tidewhiff 06-29-2009 09:40 PM

so... in the end.. ty bombguy! While dealers cannot get the clamps from BMW they do (at least Sonnen BMW does) get them in bags of 100 from elsewhere, and were willing to sell me a few at 1.50 each. Picked up Oetiker clamp pliers (Knipex 1099i) on eBay (usually between 20 and 26 shipped.) I've also read that you can use regular end nippers to clamp - if you grind down the cutting edges; but the Knipex also have a side clamping ability that would work well in tight places.

The clamps available at Kragen/Autozone, being universal, didn't seem to have a good enough tightening mechanism - they may work, but...

eEuroparts sells boot clamps that look similar to OEM (50.2060.1) and they also sell a more more substantial clamp plier (4210) - at $23.90 w/o shipping.

With the CV joint grease repacked, and clamped - looking forward to see if I solved my xi vibration problem - but to find out have to drive a few hundred miles and then hit the mountains on afreeway.

White_Knuckles 06-29-2009 11:00 PM

Good overview for a repack/clamp job. May come in handy for us xi guys.

Usually, the damage has been done if your CV's are the vibe culprit. I'd have the wheel balance checked on a hunter machine to make sure.

You reference the much talked about xi vibration on acceleration, up-hill? Is this a common problem indicating half-shaft failure?

nathancarter 06-30-2009 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White_Knuckles (Post 10223255)
Usually, the damage has been done if your CV's are the vibe culprit. I'd have the wheel balance checked on a hunter machine to make sure.

+1

If it was to the point where it's knocking/clunking/vibrating, then it's already damaged. Repacking with grease will be a temporary solution at best. :(

I've read that you can replace just the joint, not the whole axle - not owning an Xi, I don't know if this is true.

Many folks have had good luck with aftermarket axles for about 1/3 the price of new OE.

tidewhiff 06-30-2009 11:19 AM

Not yet convinced the axles are terminal when you experience vibration.
For me the vibration was first noticed 3(!!) years ago, on a freeway incline after a 150 mi flat freeway drive. The vibration was quite surprising - and especially mysterious in that it disappeared. When I first felt it, it was just like my center bearing failures on my 67 BMW 1600. Being an intermittent problem - only showing up on longer trips that involved mountainous freeway travel - I was questioning whether it was a mechanical problem, and being intermittent it's damn hard to diagnose.
At the moment I'm subscribing to the theory that the joints overheat - due to lack of, or diminished, lubrication. If repacking the CV joint increases lubrication, then the CV ought not overheat. And finally because in daily driving there is no vibration or clicking, that the overheating in the past has not caused any permanent damage.
As for more intensive fixes - I've seen ads for repairing just the joint, I've seen many posts complaining about non-OEM axle replacements having new and different vibration issues, and finally the OEM replacement - which except for the cost has a lot of happy customers.

nathancarter 06-30-2009 04:23 PM

Cool. Keep us updated on how your repair works out.

chicane 08-21-2009 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tidewhiff (Post 10222895)
so... in the end.. ty bombguy! While dealers cannot get the clamps from BMW they do (at least Sonnen BMW does) get them in bags of 100 from elsewhere, and were willing to sell me a few at 1.50 each. Picked up Oetiker clamp pliers (Knipex 1099i) on eBay (usually between 20 and 26 shipped.) I've also read that you can use regular end nippers to clamp - if you grind down the cutting edges; but the Knipex also have a side clamping ability that would work well in tight places.

The clamps available at Kragen/Autozone, being universal, didn't seem to have a good enough tightening mechanism - they may work, but...

eEuroparts sells boot clamps that look similar to OEM (50.2060.1) and they also sell a more more substantial clamp plier (4210) - at $23.90 w/o shipping.

With the CV joint grease repacked, and clamped - looking forward to see if I solved my xi vibration problem - but to find out have to drive a few hundred miles and then hit the mountains on afreeway.

How did those ear clamps work for you? They are not exactly OEM as they do not seem to have they extra locking mechanism on them. I am assuming you just pull on the ear with the clamp tool and the shear force holds them in place?