E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   ESS TS2 OBC Fuel Correction (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=688664)

lkstaack 07-07-2009 01:59 AM

ESS TS2 OBC Fuel Correction

I doubt that the ESS TS2 is able to provide a modified fuel injection pulse signal to the OBC so that it could accurately calculate MPG, but I thought that I would ask. Anyone know? I'ld e-mail ESS, but I suspect that others would want to know as well.

The reason I want an OBC that functions properly is the reason I want an ESS TS; keep the vehicle looking and operating like stock.

TxZHP04 07-07-2009 07:52 AM

I'd be interested in this as well. I think I've been told that some models can have the OBC recalibrated to be more accurate but I'm not sure of the procedure or which cars this applies to.

djc986 07-07-2009 09:18 AM

I'm interested as well. My MPG calculation seems to be off by ~ 7mpg.

Safar 07-07-2009 09:22 AM

Same here. My OBC is consistently off by 30%... would be nice to have it corrected.

bluejeansonfire 07-07-2009 09:44 AM

My TT kit is usually within 5% or less margin of error from perfection. NickG FTMFW!!!!1!!1!

Asbjorn@ESS 07-07-2009 10:26 AM

The OBC can be recalibrated using INPA quite easily. We typically do it on local installations. There is also a way of adjusting it directly through the instrument cluster menu.

NickG@TechniqueTuning 07-07-2009 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asbjorn@ESS (Post 10258945)
The OBC can be recalibrated using INPA quite easily. We typically do it on local installations. There is also a way of adjusting it directly through the instrument cluster menu.

FYI Asbjorn, it can also be done within the MS43 and MS45 ECUs (and our software takes advantage of that :pimpin: ).

djc986 07-07-2009 10:45 AM

How can it be calibrated through the instrument cluster? Can you provide details/instructions?

Thanks

paraklas 07-07-2009 11:10 AM

My fuel consumption is crap already, no need to have the OBC verify it for me :ben:

on a side note, my cluster is off by 2-3mpg

mikem7709 07-07-2009 11:28 AM

Can mine be done this way as well ? When I fill up it thinks my range is over 500 miles, even at the track yesterday, it was saying 32 mpg. :rofl:

Asbjorn@ESS 07-07-2009 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickG@TechniqueTuning (Post 10259036)
FYI Asbjorn, it can also be done within the MS43 and MS45 ECUs (and our software takes advantage of that :pimpin: ).

I am fully aware of the scaling function within the MS43 and MS45, I even wrote a few R&D files calibrated for a few members on here, but beta customers complained about minor issues and we scrapped it since it can easily be configured in the cluster as well. I did not want to waste more R&D time on it at the time as new projects were waiting. There is something weird happening with MS45 especially that affects fuel control under part load when scaled more than 10-15%. On newer cars like the E92 M3 this function works perfect and is incorporated in our SC software.

HighBoostin330 07-07-2009 12:31 PM

Quote:

How easily? Interested in this. :)

NickG@TechniqueTuning 07-07-2009 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asbjorn@ESS (Post 10259269)
I am fully aware of the scaling function within the MS43 and MS45, I even wrote a few R&D files calibrated for a few members on here, but beta customers complained about minor issues and we scrapped it since it can easily be configured in the cluster as well. I did not want to waste more R&D time on it at the time as new projects were waiting. There is something weird happening with MS45 especially that affects fuel control under part load when scaled more than 10-15%. On newer cars like the E92 M3 this function works perfect and is incorporated in our SC software.

That's very strange that you're getting that kind of behavior. I've been able to rescale the fuel consumption output appropriately without any ill effects (I think on the order of 50-55%....basically the ratio of new injector size to original injector size).

Now that I think of it though, in MS45, you actually don't need to change the OBC consumption factor at all in the DME. With MS45, the consumption factor output is independent of the injector size. The consumption factor is derived from the mass fuel flow variable, before it becomes converted to injection time. Thus, if your mass air flow variable and target AFR values are correct (which both determine mass fuel flow), your consumption factor will automatically be correct (thus, no rescaling necessary).

Asbjorn@ESS 07-07-2009 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickG@TechniqueTuning (Post 10259650)
That's very strange that you're getting that kind of behavior. I've been able to rescale the fuel consumption output appropriately without any ill effects (I think on the order of 50-55%....basically the ratio of new injector size to original injector size).

Now that I think of it though, in MS45, you actually don't need to change the OBC consumption factor at all in the DME. With MS45, the consumption factor output is independent of the injector size. The consumption factor is derived from the mass fuel flow variable, before it becomes converted to injection time. Thus, if your mass air flow variable and target AFR values are correct (which both determine mass fuel flow), your consumption factor will automatically be correct (thus, no rescaling necessary).

In MS45 you should in theory set TI_SCAL_1 and TI_SCAL_2 to the correct injector size to get OBC to work properly. The problem I have found by doing it this way is that you get weird fuelling bugs during light load cruising that can not be tuned away. These bugs are not present in newer systems and only relate to MS45 as far as I have seen. It is not very noticeable, but since I also made a perfectly working tune with fuel injector difference not adjusted only with that function, but also in part by the basic fuel calculations, I have kept with that.

If total injection scaling works for you in MS45, then very good!

hoveringuy 07-07-2009 02:36 PM

Guys, I've been correcting this problem for over a year now. If you can't recalibrate your OBC directly, see me.

www.seattlecircuit.com

Dirtboy 07-08-2009 01:57 PM

Quote:

There is also a way of adjusting it directly through the instrument cluster menu.

Please explain. I am interested too.

Lemonsqr 07-08-2009 05:13 PM

Quote:

+11111 please do tell...wait, is this the "fix" where you have to do it every time the car is turned off and then on?

mcr_driver 07-09-2009 11:10 AM

More info on instrument cluster fix please stop leaving us in the dark...

hoveringuy 07-09-2009 11:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my solution.

www.seattlecircuit.com

HighBoostin330 07-09-2009 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoveringuy (Post 10272700)
Here's my solution.

www.seattlecircuit.com

As AJ said, there is an easier way of just using software to fixed it than using hardware and cutting wires in your engine. Thank you for your suggestion.