E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   ///M3 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Need technical advice! I think Im being ripped off!! (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=695541)

brahm 08-02-2009 11:30 PM

Need technical advice! I think Im being ripped off!!

This is going to be slightly long so please bear with me and read through it.

My car is a 2002 M3 Vert
So I had been having trouble with my car jerking and stalling while running. It would drive perfectly for 5 mins and then start jerking violently and then suddenly start running smooth for another 4-5 mins. All symptoms of misfiring/bad coils. I took it to the bmw workshop and they said that this was caused by either a malfunctioning fuel pump or bad coils. Soon I got a call from them saying that I should replace the both, fuel pump and coils.

In the quotation for repairs I saw this for the fuel pump

Part No. Part Name
16142229683 Left fuel level sensor
16142282208 Sucking jet pump
16142229684 Delivery unit, right(Not sure but I think this is the fuel pump)
16112229656 Fuel baffle fixture

The price of the other parts adds up to that of just the delivery unit, doubling what it should cost for just a pump. Is this right?? Are all these parts required? They say these parts have to be changed with the pump

I knew I'd get unbiased expert help on here so I told them to wait before starting work on the car.

Also they said they did a routine inspection and found that my clutch is weak and I would need to change it soon, and that the SMG pump would need to be changed soon too as it was about to fail.
So far, Ive had no trouble with shifting like skipping gears or taking a few seconds to engage gears or anything that people describe before SMG pump failure. As far as I can tell, the shifts are quick, crisp and smooth. So has anyone heard of this? Is there any way to tell if the pump is gona fail? I mean besides the usual symptoms, because I was having no trouble with it what so ever. Are they just out to make a quick buck?

Really appreciate you guys taking the time to read! Thanks!

AllwaysLow 08-03-2009 09:39 AM

As far as I know, if they are sure that the pump itself is the problem, then they don't need to replace all those parts. But if they are unsure of the exact problem, then they're probably trying to cover all their bases and hoping covering all of them solves the problem the first time around.

If the left level sensor or the sucking jet pump has a problem, then you should either be running out of fuel before your gas gauge shows empty, or not be able to put in a full tank's worth (15-17 gallons) when you fill up from empty. If it's the fuel baffle fixture then your car would be choking/stalling/losing power under hard cornering when it's light on fuel (think autoX). However, any one of these could cause a problem with proper fuel delivery to the engine, and might create the symptoms you describe. It's hard to tell without actually experiencing it in your car. Hopefully the BMW techs did experience it first hand.

how many miles on your car?

yjk1975 08-03-2009 10:28 AM

I would start first by just replacing coils.
If the problem is not fixed, then replace fuel pump. There is no need to replace everything, just the pump.

I would say no to everythingelse. They are trying to make some money.

brahm 08-03-2009 11:10 PM

Thanks for the replies! Im going to the dealer ship today and Ill let you guys know soon.
The car has about 47,500 miles

Quote:

If the left level sensor or the sucking jet pump has a problem, then you should either be running out of fuel before your gas gauge shows empty, or not be able to put in a full tank's worth (15-17 gallons) when you fill up from empty. If it's the fuel baffle fixture then your car would be choking/stalling/losing power under hard cornering when it's light on fuel (think autoX). However, any one of these could cause a problem with proper fuel delivery to the engine, and might create the symptoms you describe. It's hard to tell without actually experiencing it in your car. Hopefully the BMW techs did experience it first hand.
Thanks thats exactly what I needed! They were telling me that those parts require to be changed along with the fuel pump everytime the pump is changed. Now I know thats bullshit. I can go back with some specific information now.

Any ideas on the SMG pump? Is it possible to predict the SMG pump failure without having any trouble during driving/shifting? Has BMW told anybody else this?