E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Suspension & Braking (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Does the Meyle HD control arm fit the 330i ZHP? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=701121)

gunbeem 08-26-2009 05:46 AM

Does the Meyle HD control arm fit the 330i ZHP?

After researching, I am still confused. I have a 2003 330i ZHP and the control arms need to be replaced.

Would the Meyle HD control arm fit?

Should I just order the OEM ZHP control arms instead?

Thank you in advance! :thanks:

n2Bimmer 08-26-2009 12:17 PM

Ive got Meyle, next time i will get OEM ZHP arms myself, Its up to you. OEM FTW period.

SpeedDemon 08-26-2009 06:22 PM

How many miles did you get out of the ZHP control arms? They should last a pretty long time.

I'd probably go with Meyle HD control arms over ZHP arms if you managed to actually wear out the ZHP ball joint.

n2Bimmer 08-26-2009 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeedDemon (Post 10521895)
How many miles did you get out of the ZHP control arms? They should last a pretty long time.

I'd probably go with Meyle HD control arms over ZHP arms if you managed to actually wear out the ZHP ball joint.

Stick to ZHP, Wish i had gotten OEM ZHP

SpeedDemon 08-26-2009 07:00 PM

Care to elaborate on what you don't like about Meyle HD?

n2Bimmer 08-26-2009 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeedDemon (Post 10522079)
Care to elaborate on what you don't like about Meyle HD?

Almost every BMW mechanic i talk to says to get OEM/Lemforder. I had my car at a shop for a front end inspection due to a annoying vibration at 65+, He says the Meyle bushings are too stiff, he stuck a crow bar in there and these was very little movement, he said " ive never seen bushings this stiff", then i brought up Poly bushings, he said those are rubbish and break after some abuse. Who knows, Im going to replace the Meyle's with Lemforder's next week, Two days after i put on the Meyle's i had a vibration, Never thought it would be a brand new part. Ill let you all know.

TxZHP04 08-26-2009 07:15 PM

Yeah, I'm curious to hear about the Meyle too. EDIT: just caught n2bimmer's last post.

I've got 90k miles on my stock ZHP control arms with no signs of wear yet. Whenever it comes time to replace them, I will certainly go with the stock arms again.

I've been running the Meyle HD control arms bushings for just over 50k miles with no problems (almost 15k more than the original stock) but I think they're due to be replaced again. Will be doing this once the weather cools a bit and my garage drops below 100 degrees. Ashley keeps mentioning e36 M3 CABs so I may look into going this route.

jkwon 08-26-2009 07:18 PM

Selling brand new ZHP control arms

I'm selling a brand new set of ZHP control arms.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3AMESELX%3AIT

aggieE46 08-26-2009 07:19 PM

That's the first complaint I've heard about the Meyle. I've had them on my car for about 30k. Smooth sailing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxZHP04 (Post 10522167)
Yeah, I'm curious to hear about the Meyle too. EDIT: just caught n2bimmer's last post.

I've got 90k miles on my stock ZHP control arms with no signs of wear yet. Whenever it comes time to replace them, I will certainly go with the stock arms again.

n2Bimmer 08-26-2009 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxZHP04 (Post 10522167)

I've been running the Meyle HD control arms bushings for just over 50k miles with no problems but I think they're about due to be replaced again. Will be doing this once the weather cools a bit and my garage drops below 100 degrees. Ashley keeps mentioning e36 M3 CABs so I may look into going this route.

If it aint broke dont fix it, Stick with what you have success with i guess.

n2Bimmer 08-26-2009 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggieE46 (Post 10522186)
That's the first complaint I've heard about the Meyle. I've had them on my car for about 30k. Smooth sailing.

Ya along with alot of other people. Lemforder is sooooooooooooo much better than Meyle in EVERY catagory. Id love to see how long Meyle will last, also i dont think BMW uses any Meyle parts that come out new. I guess im the lucky guy having issues with them. This vibration is pissing me off, wish it is the bushing. Actually i have no issues with the Meyle arms, just the bushings.

tiloulou330i 08-26-2009 07:50 PM

My car was vibration free with the oem arms and bushings.Eventhough they were worn my car used to handle better but with the Meyle stuff my car feels unstable at any speed above 60 mph.My whole front end is new,the only thing that i just ordered to eplace is the steering coupling if that doesn't fix my vibration i'll get rid of the Meyle stuffs and go back to OEM.
Oem components are better than any aftermarket crap.

Many330i 08-26-2009 08:13 PM

Some things are better kept OEM!

SpeedDemon 08-27-2009 01:41 AM

I had Meyle HD arms on my 328i for about 25k miles and never had a problem with them up to the day I sold my car. I think that you probably have some other problem that is causing your vibrations.

Your mechanic also sounds like an idiot for calling the PU bushings rubbish. I can destroy a set of OEM FCABs in 5-10k miles but PowerFlex bushings will last me mucccchhhhhhh longer. I've never had a set for more than 30k miles though. Most of this stuff is all about getting the install exactly right.

TrippinBimmer 08-27-2009 01:46 AM

My PowerFlex Bushing is Still Tight....and no squeaks...:D

n2Bimmer 08-27-2009 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiloulou330i (Post 10522327)
My car was vibration free with the oem arms and bushings.Eventhough they were worn my car used to handle better but with the Meyle stuff my car feels unstable at any speed above 60 mph.My whole front end is new,the only thing that i just ordered to eplace is the steering coupling if that doesn't fix my vibration i'll get rid of the Meyle stuffs and go back to OEM.
Oem components are better than any aftermarket crap.

Really?, well atleast im not the only one.

bigfatvr6prik 08-27-2009 09:49 PM

+1 for the OEM ZHP FCA's. 140 k miles on OEM ZHP's and i drive on some real rough roads on a daily basis. Last I did suspension overhaul, control arms were something that were rock solid :)

gunbeem 08-27-2009 11:04 PM

Thank you guys for posting. The reason why I was asking is because my factory ZHP control arms failed with under 20k miles on the car...
I decided to just drop it off at the stealer and have them deal with it... BTW I'm going with the factory ZHP control arms

TxZHP04 08-28-2009 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunbeem (Post 10529370)
Thank you guys for posting. The reason why I was asking is because my factory ZHP control arms failed with under 20k miles on the car...
I decided to just drop it off at the stealer and have them deal with it... BTW I'm going with the factory ZHP control arms

How'd you manage that? Presumably the problem is with a ball joint(s). Have you confirmed the failure yourself or is this what the dealer is telling you? I would readily believe the bushings failed within 20k but, unless there was some major suspension abuse, that seems really early for problems with the control arms.

SpeedDemon 08-28-2009 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxZHP04 (Post 10530649)
How'd you manage that? Presumably the problem is with a ball joint(s). Have you confirmed the failure yourself or is this what the dealer is telling you? I would readily believe the bushings failed within 20k but, unless there was some major suspension abuse, that seems really early for problems with the control arms.

+1,

I think the dealer is just BS'ing with you. You probably got a tech to look at the car who was used to seeing them fail on normal 325s/330s and doesn't realize that the ZHP has a HD part.

It's much more likely that your FCAB is shot.