E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   DIY: Do It Yourself (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Specifics about Seafoam DIY (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=714558)

TiAgTouring 10-21-2009 01:05 AM

Specifics about Seafoam DIY

So I've read a bunch of DIYs with Seafoam, and I am resolved to do it...just have a few questions.

Should I remove my pre-cat O2 sensors before hand? Have a lot of people had to replace 02 sensors after Seafoam?

I plan on replacing my oil and plugs after doing Seafoam, but I am wondering how many miles is correct. I am doing seafoam as part of a "tune-up" for a 1200 ride trip to NYC. Is that too long to wait for the oil chance and plugs? My current plugs are only at 10k miles.

Thanks!

TiAgTouring 10-21-2009 06:35 AM

Anyone? Ive read a lot about Seafoam and can't get good answers on these questions...

bigjae1976 10-21-2009 10:08 AM

From what I've read, the seafoam thins your oil out so you probably don't want to drive 1200 miles on it. Maybe 100 miles.

I've used Lubro Moly engine flush before my oil change and then added motor protect after. It seemed to work pretty well.

Custom3 10-21-2009 10:17 AM

In the back of the bottle it will tell you how many miles to drive before you do the flush...i think its a 100 miles...or something...a weeks worth of normal driving pretty much....I ran into a few problems after I used sea foam...02 sensors went bad...and they were kind of new....I felt no difference...I would not use sea foam ever again.

TiAgTouring 10-21-2009 11:09 AM

Okay thanks for the info...this is important. Anyone else have advice on this front?

Drewfus2101 10-21-2009 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiAgTouring (Post 10790569)
Should I remove my pre-cat O2 sensors before hand? Have a lot of people had to replace 02 sensors after Seafoam?

I plan on replacing my oil and plugs after doing Seafoam, but I am wondering how many miles is correct. I am doing seafoam as part of a "tune-up" for a 1200 ride trip to NYC. Is that too long to wait for the oil chance and plugs? My current plugs are only at 10k miles.

I'm pretty sure your car won't run at all without the O2 sensors to monitor the air/fuel ratio. So I'd leave them in. I think the O2 sensor problems are very rare.

I didn't have any O2 sensor problems, and I can't see how that is even possible.

Like was posted above, read the can. I poured some in the crankcase, then drove around for an hour or so (~50 miles) then did the oil change while the oil was hot (read: hot, not just warm), so hopefully that helped with some possible sludge.

I also didn't have any problems with sparkplugs after seafoam. Leave those in there, and if you have problems, change them out later.

And don't panic when your car is misfiring and blowing smoke all over the place. Just drive it some, then turn it off/on then drive some more. Go to an Advance / Autozone and have them clear the misfire codes once it seems to be driving fine.

Hartman 10-21-2009 03:45 PM

You really only have to worry about your oil after this is if you put Seafoam IN your oil. In that case, try to change it within a couple hundred miles after. Also, Seafoam sometimes affects o2 sensors because of the carbon buildup that gets blown out of the engine, past the o2's, and out the exhaust (hence the smoke).

elteegilbreath 10-21-2009 03:52 PM

I've seafoamed both my Bimmers with no issues at all. My first one had a terribly rough idle and after seafoaming it was like brand new.

TiAgTouring 11-23-2009 11:00 PM

I seafoamed my car last weekend and no issues! No CEL Light or anything. I DID NOT use deep creep.

barcode148 11-28-2009 03:31 PM

seafoamed two days ago. i didnt throw a cel light either (knock on wood). i have a perfectly smooth idle now.

TiAgTouring 11-28-2009 04:18 PM

Good! I have a lot smoother idle as well....but an issue has emerged since i seafoamed:

My MPG has gone down to about 22. This isn't crazy low or anything, but I usually get 25 in mixed driving. The fact that I only got 350 miles out of a tank makes me upset. This was the first tank after I seafoamed and changed my oil. Hopefully the next one will be better.

I am thinking the issue could be:
1) Spark Plugs
2) O2 sensors (although no codes were thrown?)

Anyone else have thoughts?

I am going to do my Valve Cover Gasket and VANOS within the month, so it should be interesting to see how that will effect my MPG.

///mshu 02-16-2010 02:55 PM

any updates?

i'm also very curious as to the risks/benefits of Seafoam ...