E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   DIY: Do It Yourself (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Pulling to right...ideas? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=714863)

cbechtle 10-22-2009 12:45 PM

Pulling to right...ideas?

I have a 04 330cic...the car has about 79,000 miles on it and about a year ago, a rough sound started in the front end. It only appeared < 20 mph and was not affected by braking. The car pulled a little to the right so I thought it was an alignment problem.

However I decided to do some maintenance to see if the problem would correct itself. So I had the following services performed...

- New brakes all around (Turner Brake kit)
- New front wheel bearing assemblies (again Turner) at the suggestion of the mechanic because he heard the grinding.
- 4 wheel alignment

Problem is still there...Any ideas?

havnfun328 10-22-2009 03:52 PM

Rotate your tires.
If the pull changes then that's your problem.

howie 10-22-2009 03:58 PM

check your tires/rotation or u have a bent wheel...as I do

cbechtle 10-23-2009 07:02 AM

Thanks for the tire idea...unfortunately, sport package eliminates rotating option and the tires are relatively new. I guess I could swap left and right temporarily to see what happens....:thanks:

hummer 10-23-2009 10:56 AM

At 79K your control arms and bushings are prime suspects.

Chris-TK 10-23-2009 11:00 AM

Check your tie rods as well.

howie 10-23-2009 11:04 AM

got any fat chicks ridin with u when this happens?

cbechtle 10-23-2009 12:14 PM

typically, only my fat a**.... The car sits 6 days a week. It was a European delivery car that has been retired to the plush life of weekend/emergency duty. I'm guessing I need to take it in....Thanks all for the ideas...

hummer 10-24-2009 10:34 AM

Love those "fat bottomed girls":4ngie:

frogg320 10-24-2009 11:10 AM

Test it on the wrong side of the street, just to make sure. You could be paying attention more than usual, and most roads are sloped.

dauble2k5 10-24-2009 11:19 AM

I'd say check tire pressure; I noticed mine was pulling to the left like none other, turns out the front left tire was low on air. Fixed the problem!

ALSHUBCAPS.COM 10-25-2009 09:23 AM

switch tires from right to left, you may have a radial pull

cbechtle 10-28-2009 12:59 PM

Took it to the dealer today, they said....
- The Turner pads are causing the noise....I don't believe it.
- Burned through a set of rears, bought new ones from Discount Tire. Typically good results from DT but they rotated the tires..there are fronts on the back and backs on the front...thus the pulling.

I'll end up pulling my hair out over this....they wanted $650+ for new pads and sensors. The Turner kit is only 6 mos old.

Whatever...

Chris-TK 10-28-2009 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbechtle (Post 10825093)
Took it to the dealer today, they said....
- The Turner pads are causing the noise....I don't believe it.
- Burned through a set of rears, bought new ones from Discount Tire. Typically good results from DT but they rotated the tires..there are fronts on the back and backs on the front...thus the pulling.

I'll end up pulling my hair out over this....they wanted $650+ for new pads and sensors. The Turner kit is only 6 mos old.

Whatever...

Pads can cause squealing if the pad is coming into too much contact with the rotor as a result of a sticking caliper or burrs that have developed on the edge of the pad.

DSpencer18 10-29-2009 01:10 AM

my front control arm bushings wore out...it was doing it to me.

Bimmer Dude Xi 10-29-2009 07:27 AM

possibly its a brake pull like mines doing

cbechtle 11-05-2009 11:55 AM

Issue solved.....

It was screwed up wheel stagger...took it back to Discount tire...they mistakenly put rear tires all around and put one of the rear wheels on the left front...

I'm an idiot for not checking their work...:facepalm:

I had the wheels and tires put to the proper places and wouldn't you know it, the problem has gone away. I need to get another alignment, but the sound is gone and all seems better in the world...

Thanks for all the suggestions, especially the bushings. I'll be replacing them next.

Chris-TK 11-05-2009 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbechtle (Post 10862848)
It was screwed up wheel stagger...took it back to Discount tire...they mistakenly put rear tires all around and put one of the rear wheels on the left front...

I'm an idiot for not checking their work...:facepalm:

I had the wheels and tires put to the proper places and wouldn't you know it, the problem has gone away. I need to get another alignment, but the sound is gone and all seems better in the world...

Thanks for all the suggestions, especially the bushings. I'll be replacing them next.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Glad it was an easy fix.

Philbert 11-05-2009 12:54 PM

are they going to pay for the alignment? they should - dumb asses.

I had Big O install a 4" lift kit on my truck with new wheels and tires....the front was really feeling all the bumps afterward - even at 2 MPH in a parking lot! Turns out they forgot to adjust the tension rods on the front suspension - the front control arms were FLUSH against the frame, so the frame was absorbing everything on the road and there was not suspension travel. They fixed it, and aligned it free. I felt like a dumbass for taking so long to figure that out.

Glad it was an easy fix!